Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Would Harte have a 100% record from this stage on at senior level?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

nrico2006

Im glad Penrose is out, gives a clinical forward like Ronan O'Neill a chance to get a start.  Also, Tyrone have 3 weeks now to train for the Mayo game without any matches in the mean time which I think will work to their advantage.  Who knows what team we will see against Mayo as it gives all the players on the panel 3 weeks to put a marker down and could allow for the like of Coney, O'Neill, Cassidy or Justin McMahon to get their form and fitness back.  Was surprised to see SON go off on Saturday, was well marked in the full forward line but was impressive with his passing and vision when he came out to half forward.  Would he not be a good option there?  I think that is one of the biggest problems with the Tyrone team in that Mark Donnelly is playing as 11 but in reality he is playing like Dooher did at wing forward and Donnelly doesn't spray the passes into the forward line.

Finally, Mayo were impressive yesterday but I can really see a Tyrone win here.  The break will have done them well and as mentioned I would like to see a few changes that could maybe be enforced through showings in training over the next few weeks.  Mayo won't bang in 3 or 4 goals against Tyrone.  I have never see Donegal under JMG so heavy legged and disorganised as they were yesterday. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: FermGael on August 05, 2013, 08:39:18 AM
i think you are probably right, have been beaten by dublin x2 ,cork & mayo at qtr final stage, but never in the semis or final.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 05, 2013, 08:46:59 AM
Quote from: FermGael on August 05, 2013, 08:39:18 AM
i think you are probably right, have been beaten by dublin x2 ,cork & mayo at qtr final stage, but never in the semis or final.

Cork beat them in the semi final in 2009
That was never a square ball!!

Walter Cronc

naka

looking forward to this
hope mayo do the biz cos would like to see a mayo dublin final

tyrone will have plans for dillion i would say and i would expect mayo wont allow sean the freedom of the park.
hopefully have a good ref( mc quillan)

sam03/05

Tyrone will get pumped!
There will be 10+ points in it

From the Bunker

Quote from: rrhf on August 05, 2013, 08:14:29 AM
In fairness to James Horano he has built a bomb proof Mayo team.  They are driven by 63 years of failure culminating in todays power show versus Donegal. Not only do I see them beating Dublin in the final well, I think we would all love to see them hammering Kerry if the Kingdom can get there.  The next two months Mayo will be living the dream and as Tyrone supporters we wish them well.  Yes its a shame the way they treated Mortimer but just a few months on I dont think they are missing him, they are delivering some of the greatest performances ever seen in Croke Park.  Well done!

Mortimer left the Mayo team 3 to 4 days before the Connacht final. Imagine doing that? He was named on the bench for the game. He was not kicked from the panel. He did not make the first 15 like many other Players have not make the first 15 during Horans tenure. Many of those who have not made the starting line up have been better players or of an equal standard to Mortimer. They took the Managers decision as being the important decision for the team. It's a team game and for this reason Mortimer did Horan a favour leaving the squad. All said, I still have appreciation for all Mortimer gave to Mayo football.

BennyHarp

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2013, 10:13:17 AM
In fairness to James Horano he has built a bomb proof Mayo team.  They are driven by 63 years of failure culminating in todays power show versus Donegal. Not only do I see them beating Dublin in the final well, I think we would all love to see them hammering Kerry if the Kingdom can get there.  The next two months Mayo will be living the dream and as Tyrone supporters we wish them well.  Yes its a shame the way they treated Mortimer but just a few months on I dont think they are missing him, they are delivering some of the greatest performances ever seen in Croke Park.  Well done!

Mortimer left the Mayo team 3 to 4 days before the Connacht final. Imagine doing that? He was named on the bench for the game. He was not kicked from the panel. He did not make the first 15 like many other Players have not make the first 15 during Horans tenure. Many of those who have not made the starting line up have been better players or of an equal standard to Mortimer. They took the Managers decision as being the important decision for the team. It's a team game and for this reason Mortimer did Horan a favour leaving the squad. All said, I still have appreciation for all Mortimer gave to Mayo football.

Fom an outsider looking in it appears that Mortimer leaving the panel was the best thing that happened this squad. Horan stood his ground, earned respect and to players knew they had to fight for their places. I have a lot of respect for the way Mayo have gone about things under James Horan and it is going to take a massive effort from Tyrone to overcome them. Fears from recent championship meetings from sides in the past (Cork '09, Kerry '12 and Dublin x2) still haunt but Mickey has proved in the past that when it gets to late August he can win big games so heres hoping and roll on August 25th - I can hardly wait!
That was never a square ball!!

Whitnail

Don't know who I'd rather progress.

Would normally shout for  Ulster team due to being sick of listening and reading  the usual anti Ulster crap that gets turned out every year in the championship but Kavanagh'a rugby Leauge tackle was ugly to watch.
No problem with Tyrone being cynical, every team is if their fan's are 100% honest that includes Mayo.

Tyrone are fading in games with 20mins to go that's partly due to the sheer volume of games.  2 weeks off might be the answer to fatigue. It would still be hard to back them with money here though.

You'd expect Mayo to progress as they've taken the direct route and are on a carbon copy of the mission Donegal were on last year but I expected Mayo to beat Tyrone at home in the Leauge as well but their shooting was awfull .

Mayo will win if they don't hit endless wides . If they do , then Tyrone will progress.
Mayo's to lose I think.

CD

Quote from: Whitnail on August 05, 2013, 06:07:00 PM

Would normally shout for  Ulster team due to being sick of listening and reading  the usual anti Ulster crap that gets turned out every year in the championship but Kavanagh'a rugby Leauge tackle was ugly to watch.
No problem with Tyrone being cynical, every team is if their fan's are 100% honest that includes Mayo.

Tyrone are fading in games with 20mins to go that's partly due to the sheer volume of games.  2 weeks off might be the answer to fatigue. It would still be hard to back them with money here though.

You'd expect Mayo to progress as they've taken the direct route and are on a carbon copy of the mission Donegal were on last year but I expected Mayo to beat Tyrone at home in the Leauge as well but their shooting was awfull .

Mayo will win if they don't hit endless wides . If they do , then Tyrone will progress.
Mayo's to lose I think.

I was at the Tyrone v Mayo league match and agree that Mayo had sufficient possession and attempts on goal to have won that game - as you've said it was 'Mayo's to lose', AND THEY DID. Going on current form they have to be regarded as firm favourites but Mayo do have an unfortunate habit of losing games like this and Tyrone keep churning out workmanlike victories when they're up against it. I think it'll be an awful lot closer than people think and as we get closer to the 25th you'll find that this weekend will have been forgotten and fans, analysts and punters will be more cautious in their predictions. I'd like to see a Dublin v Mayo final but wouldn't rule out Tyrone or Kerry at this stage.

Either way, it'll be nice to put this weekend behind us and move on to talking about football again rather than massaging Joe's ego.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

From the Bunker

62!

From the Bunker

Quote from: CD on August 05, 2013, 06:19:36 PM

Mayo's to lose I think.

I was at the Tyrone v Mayo league match and agree that Mayo had sufficient possession and attempts on goal to have won that game - as you've said it was 'Mayo's to lose', AND THEY DID. Going on current form they have to be regarded as firm favourites but Mayo do have an unfortunate habit of losing games like this and Tyrone keep churning out workmanlike victories when they're up against it. I think it'll be an awful lot closer than people think and as we get closer to the 25th you'll find that this weekend will have been forgotten and fans, analysts and punters will be more cautious in their predictions. I'd like to see a Dublin v Mayo final but wouldn't rule out Tyrone or Kerry at this stage.

Either way, it'll be nice to put this weekend behind us and move on to talking about football again rather than massaging Joe's ego.

God, have you not learned anything yet? League form counts for nothing! League games count for nothing! When Kerry were HAMMERING us in AI finals in 2004 and 2006. We beat them handy in Castlebar or Tralee in the league. We'd think to ourselves we were progressing. But Kerry were on a Go Slow! There is nothing you will get out of the league game last spring, there will be different personnel and players at different conditioning.

barelegs

League form counts for nothing?  3 of the top 4 in the league just happen to be in the All Ireland semi finals. The other team Kerry came 6th in the league on the same number of points as 4th placed Mayo.

Now the league result itself will count for absolutely nothing in itself when the sides meet but playing and competing at the highest level  in the league is fundamental to challenging for an All Ireland.

I'd take your point about taking results in isolation, but the trends count. Tyrone wouldn't be in an All Ireland semi final now if they were still pattering around the second division of the league.

As far as the Tyrone players and fans are concerned we couldn't be in a better position. We're entering an All Ireland semi final with absolutely nothing to lose. Nobody expects us to get within 7 or 8 points. It's 10 years since that was last the case!

CD

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2013, 06:59:22 PM
Quote from: CD on August 05, 2013, 06:19:36 PM

Mayo's to lose I think.

God, have you not learned anything yet? League form counts for nothing! League games count for nothing! When Kerry were HAMMERING us in AI finals in 2004 and 2006. We beat them handy in Castlebar or Tralee in the league. We'd think to ourselves we were progressing. But Kerry were on a Go Slow! There is nothing you will get out of the league game last spring, there will be different personnel and players at different conditioning.

Please identify where I said league form would have a bearing on the outcome of this game? I used the example of the league game to highlight the fact that Mayo can sometimes lose games when they appear to be in the driving seat. I refer to this game only because it's the most recent example I witnessed first hand.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!