Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 07, 2013, 10:30:45 AM
Apart from the respective results against Roscommon, Mayo swept Donegal aside and yet Donegal were able to beat Tyrone. Does that count for anything...

And Monaghan destroyed Donegal, and we...

All futile Lar (though comforting for yourselves, no doubt), all that matters is the now, and not even what happened in Ballybofey in May is remotely relevant.

We're coming off the back of 6 games in 7 weekends, with the last 3 of those on consecutive weekends, so we'll be well fired up on the 25th, and well restored and revivified.

Make no mistake though, and having said all of that, your lads are going into this as raging hot favourites, and rightly so after that ruthless and total annihilation of Donegal on Sunday last. In fact, your lot should probably just be focusing on the final at this stage, the semi is nothing but an irrelevant and impertinent distraction, and you could well be doing without that!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

blanketattack

If Mayo win, will there be as big a demand for All-Ireland tickets as ever or will the cumulative effect of the AI-final losses of '89, '96, '97, '04, '06 and '12 dampen the enthusiasm?

Crete Boom

Quote from: blanketattack on August 07, 2013, 10:54:48 AM
If Mayo win, will there be as big a demand for All-Ireland tickets as ever or will the cumulative effect of the AI-final losses of '89, '96, '97, '04, '06 and '12 dampen the enthusiasm?

The demand will always be huge but will the county board dissappear a few thousand of their allocation to the town councils and Mayo Co Council like they did last year ;).

The fact that my own club didn't get enough tickets to allocate one to each paid up members tells a tale of the shenanigans that went on as a result of the MacHale Park redevelopement fiasco :o.

There was a lot of Mayo tickets that were not sufficently accounted for allied to the fact that a huge amount of tickets were popping up for sale from a lot of unofficial sources in the week of the final last year for some reason 8).

iorras

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 05, 2013, 10:29:07 AM
As I mentioned earlier Mayo/Tyrone championship games in the past have tended to be tight on the scoreboard at the end, so I'd say a rout by either side isn't likely - but not impossible. I'm pretty sure that a lot of yesterdays performance by Mayo against Donegal was down to last year's final loss and the thrash talk of the past week being channelled into a well controlled aggression that was ruthlessly implemented without mercy given. I can't see them getting worked up to the same level against Tyrone so it'll be much more down to abilities of each team. Mayo's team are rightly favourites for this match and I expect them to win (though Tyrone winning would be very nice) but the question for me is can they shake off the jinx of losing the bottle when it matters? If they win Sam this year I can see them being right up there for the rest of this decade if they put that hoodoo to bed.
To be fair we've been right up there for alot of the past two decades, without winning it. But if we did manage to win this one there would be ZERO chance of a back to back. Whatever hype there might have been in Donegal after this years win, you could multiple that by a million in Mayo and we'd be lucky to retain Connacht, but I dont think any of us would be too bothered.
Might be a bit like Galway in 98, 2 or 3 years later might come back for another one.
Theres another example there to keep Mayo people's feet on the ground, 2001, Meath hammer the shite outta the All Ireland champs, Kerry and were unbackable for Sam against Galway, Mayo arent unbackable, but theres a warning there in what happened to Meath in the final, take nothing for granted.

iorras

Quote from: lenny on August 07, 2013, 09:53:07 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 07, 2013, 09:33:05 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 07, 2013, 12:55:39 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 06, 2013, 10:28:29 PM
If you lads think that Tyrone have been playing to their full potential in every game this year then you may be in for an awful shock come August 25th. There's hardly a man, bar big Sean, who has reached full tilt yet. There's nothing better than being complete underdogs against a cocky Mayo team!

Do you think Mayo behaved 'cocky' recently?
How were they cocky?
Mayo were 22 points up at one stage v Donegal and were there any olés from the Mayo fans, even though we were hammmering a team that inflicted one of the most miserable days of our lives. Bit of soundness there  - ask the Meath men. Fans from Mayo not cocky either obviously so easy on.
I hope there will be loads of hype in Mayo now. The days are getting short and this is a great distraction.
In the past Mayo beating themselves with hype was used by lazy/ clueless hacks who did not get the big picture. Including local shit.
Hype has never been the cause of our past failings. I ve been posting here a while and my old posts are there to be seen. I d still stand over what I ve posted.

Sure Tyrone can do a number on us. That is sport.

On the other hand, have Dublin and Mayo made the game more ...................... I dunno ...... watchable?

I've spoken to many Mayo folk over the past few days and the level of arrogance is unbelievable. Tyrone are being dismissed as merely a nuisance along the way to the big one in September against the Dubs. Also its very premature to be calling yourselves a great team too as you haven't won the AI......yet! Supporters claiming to have revolutionised the game - even made it more watchable as they have dispatched everyone that has been put in front of them. But I'm sure the Mayo players will be grand as, after all, they have never bottled it in a big game before!

Its the same up here in reverse. I have spoken to a number of tyrone fans and they are only thinking of dublin or kerry in the final. They are simply assuming that mayo will bottle it as usual. They also think the bashing from rte will galavanise harte and the players and propel them on the way to another all ireland.
The only time we've probably bottled it was the 2004 final when we should have been at least competitive against an under strength Kerry side, having said that, that game was partially lost by Maughan leaving D Brady on the sideline. 2006 was stupid as it was patently obvious what Kerry's tactics were doing to be (high ball to K Donaghy who was at his best) and we hadnt even bothered to come up with a game plan to attempt to stop it. If Brady had been put on him from the start we could have had a chance. last year was also lost on the line, out thought by J Mc Guinness thinking that Murphy was going to be out the field, when they decided to do a Kerry and plant high ball in on top of Kevin Keane. Horan should have seen what they were at from the first few balls and made a quick change, judgement call not to do so but thats his job. Looks like they have learned from that. We were reasonably competitive besides that in the final (besides Dallas Mrs Kennedy, how was your trip?_
And even if you disagree with that and say Mayo did choke, well that record of choking is only in finals, we have a fine record in Croker at the business end of teh season in quarters and semis so the Tyrone folk thinking Mayo will choke might need to be reminded that its a semi, not a final, so not much chance of Mayo losing by choking I reckon.

trileacman

Quote from: iorras on August 07, 2013, 11:20:48 AM
Quote from: lenny on August 07, 2013, 09:53:07 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 07, 2013, 09:33:05 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 07, 2013, 12:55:39 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 06, 2013, 10:28:29 PM
If you lads think that Tyrone have been playing to their full potential in every game this year then you may be in for an awful shock come August 25th. There's hardly a man, bar big Sean, who has reached full tilt yet. There's nothing better than being complete underdogs against a cocky Mayo team!

Do you think Mayo behaved 'cocky' recently?
How were they cocky?
Mayo were 22 points up at one stage v Donegal and were there any olés from the Mayo fans, even though we were hammmering a team that inflicted one of the most miserable days of our lives. Bit of soundness there  - ask the Meath men. Fans from Mayo not cocky either obviously so easy on.
I hope there will be loads of hype in Mayo now. The days are getting short and this is a great distraction.
In the past Mayo beating themselves with hype was used by lazy/ clueless hacks who did not get the big picture. Including local shit.
Hype has never been the cause of our past failings. I ve been posting here a while and my old posts are there to be seen. I d still stand over what I ve posted.

Sure Tyrone can do a number on us. That is sport.

On the other hand, have Dublin and Mayo made the game more ...................... I dunno ...... watchable?

I've spoken to many Mayo folk over the past few days and the level of arrogance is unbelievable. Tyrone are being dismissed as merely a nuisance along the way to the big one in September against the Dubs. Also its very premature to be calling yourselves a great team too as you haven't won the AI......yet! Supporters claiming to have revolutionised the game - even made it more watchable as they have dispatched everyone that has been put in front of them. But I'm sure the Mayo players will be grand as, after all, they have never bottled it in a big game before!

Its the same up here in reverse. I have spoken to a number of tyrone fans and they are only thinking of dublin or kerry in the final. They are simply assuming that mayo will bottle it as usual. They also think the bashing from rte will galavanise harte and the players and propel them on the way to another all ireland.
The only time we've probably bottled it was the 2004 final when we should have been at least competitive against an under strength Kerry side, having said that, that game was partially lost by Maughan leaving D Brady on the sideline. 2006 was stupid as it was patently obvious what Kerry's tactics were doing to be (high ball to K Donaghy who was at his best) and we hadnt even bothered to come up with a game plan to attempt to stop it. If Brady had been put on him from the start we could have had a chance. last year was also lost on the line, out thought by J Mc Guinness thinking that Murphy was going to be out the field, when they decided to do a Kerry and plant high ball in on top of Kevin Keane. Horan should have seen what they were at from the first few balls and made a quick change, judgement call not to do so but thats his job. Looks like they have learned from that. We were reasonably competitive besides that in the final (besides Dallas Mrs Kennedy, how was your trip?_
And even if you disagree with that and say Mayo did choke, well that record of choking is only in finals, we have a fine record in Croker at the business end of teh season in quarters and semis so the Tyrone folk thinking Mayo will choke might need to be reminded that its a semi, not a final, so not much chance of Mayo losing by choking I reckon.

That reads like "we've always had the better players, we lost it on the line every year." The arrogance in here is sickening.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 07, 2013, 10:40:24 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 07, 2013, 10:30:45 AM
Apart from the respective results against Roscommon, Mayo swept Donegal aside and yet Donegal were able to beat Tyrone. Does that count for anything...

And Monaghan destroyed Donegal, and we...

All futile Lar (though comforting for yourselves, no doubt), all that matters is the now, and not even what happened in Ballybofey in May is remotely relevant.

We're coming off the back of 6 games in 7 weekends, with the last 3 of those on consecutive weekends, so we'll be well fired up on the 25th, and well restored and revivified.

Make no mistake though, and having said all of that, your lads are going into this as raging hot favourites, and rightly so after that ruthless and total annihilation of Donegal on Sunday last. In fact, your lot should probably just be focusing on the final at this stage, the semi is nothing but an irrelevant and impertinent distraction, and you could well be doing without that!  ;)
Ah, fair play, Fear. I knew you'd drop in sooner or latter. It's comforting to know that there's at least one Tyronie knocking around who can (sometimes) tell his arse from his elbow. ;D
Speaking of which, your solicitude for our welfare touches me in the appropriate place. (Don't worry; the effect is only temporary and I'll be able soon to sit down again.)
I know you're coming off the back of 6 games in 7 weeks and I agree that what has happened in the past will should have no bearing on the game coming up next.
But one cannot be sure.
The fact is Mayo will be gong into this game without the benefit of having one serious match to sharpen their wits and skills. (That's if they have any of either quality- going be the shite reasoned analysis we're getting from your lot.)
Maybe by the time our shower wake up, Mickey will have the team bus booked for Croke Park in late September.
It's all maybe I suppose. Going by the vibes emanating from the bushes, Stephen O'Neill should be preparing his "A chairde Ghaeil, tá áthas orm..." speech right now.

Arra, I dunno. I guess we'll turn up anyway and just hope for the best.
But there's always the chance that our incredible run of lucky victories will continue and that Tyrone won't bother to put up fight all of our opponents to date.
Only time will tell...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

EC Unique

Quote from: iorras on August 07, 2013, 11:12:16 AM
As I mentioned earlier Mayo/Tyrone championship games in the past have tended to be tight on the scoreboard at the end, so I'd say a rout by either side isn't likely - but not impossible. I'm pretty sure that a lot of yesterdays performance by Mayo against Donegal was down to last year's final loss and the thrash talk of the past week being channelled into a well controlled aggression that was ruthlessly implemented without mercy given. I can't see them getting worked up to the same level against Tyrone so it'll be much more down to abilities of each team. Mayo's team are rightly favourites for this match and I expect them to win (though Tyrone winning would be very nice) but the question for me is can they shake off the jinx of losing the bottle when it matters? If they win Sam this year I can see them being right up there for the rest of this decade if they put that hoodoo to bed.
To be fair we've been right up there for alot of the past two decades, without winning it. But if we did manage to win this one there would be ZERO chance of a back to back. Whatever hype there might have been in Donegal after this years win, you could multiple that by a million in Mayo and we'd be lucky to retain Connacht, but I dont think any of us would be too bothered.
Might be a bit like Galway in 98, 2 or 3 years later might come back for another one.
Theres another example there to keep Mayo people's feet on the ground, 2001, Meath hammer the shite outta the All Ireland champs, Kerry and were unbackable for Sam against Galway, Mayo arent unbackable, but theres a warning there in what happened to Meath in the final, take nothing for granted.

Talking about the potential of back to backs? Unbelievable arrogance.

DJGaliv

I have to say that this years Mayo team and Mayo fans in general don't appear to be arrogant. I'd say ruthless, and confident just like every other county left in this years championship. This is coming from a Galway man.

There's nearly an attitude being labelled on Mayo that don't let the muck savages west of the Shannon get ahead of themselves. However it's okay to have the confidence of the Aristocrats down in Kerry or the magical Dubs without being labelled arrogant.

Crete Boom

Quote from: EC Unique on August 07, 2013, 12:41:11 PM

Dismissing our potential back to backs in such a flippant arrogant way has taken this thread to a new low.
Where is Joe Brolly the only gael to operate on any sort of moral high ground and who can save us from this sea of arrogance.
Think of the children :o

Lar Naparka

Quote from: EC Unique on August 07, 2013, 12:41:11 PM

I agree but,  sweet holy haystacks, I'm thinking of you, not iorras
Re-read the post that offends you so much and tell me what you make of this:

"But if we did manage to win this one there would be ZERO chance of a back to back.
Now if you get down off your high horse you might care to tell us what's rattling your cage?
BTW, be careful when dismounting because you'd have a long way to fall if you're not. ;D

EC Unique

Basically you are weighing up your chances of back to back and explaining why it is unlikely before you even reach the final never mind win one....

Lar Naparka

Quote from: EC Unique on August 07, 2013, 01:33:04 PM
Basically you are weighing up your chances of back to back and explaining why it is unlikely before you even reach the final never mind win one....
Fair enough; that's much more reasonable but, while I can't presume to speak for iorras, I think you still don't grasp his meaning.

You say he is weighing up our chances of doing a back to back, while he maintains that if ever we manage to win one, there isn't a hope in hell that we'd win the next one as well.
I think he's weighed up our chances and concluded there's nothing to weigh. I agree with that and I don't believe any Mayo person would think otherwise.
Bear in mind that he didn't even mention this year or infer in any way that we will be in the final.

muppet

Some of the Tyrone lads here are trying the same tactic that Jimmy and Rory Gallagher tried last week.

Trying to attack a perceived mental weakness in the opposition (in this case the arrogance of the fans  ::)), before the match, is not quite how Kerry brought us down.
MWWSI 2017