Tyrone vs Mayo AISF Semi-Final - August 25th

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, August 03, 2013, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 06, 2013, 10:28:29 PM
If you lads think that Tyrone have been playing to their full potential in every game this year then you may be in for an awful shock come August 25th. There's hardly a man, bar big Sean, who has reached full tilt yet. There's nothing better than being complete underdogs against a cocky Mayo team!

Do you think Mayo behaved 'cocky' recently?
How were they cocky?
Mayo were 22 points up at one stage v Donegal and were there any olés from the Mayo fans, even though we were hammmering a team that inflicted one of the most miserable days of our lives. Bit of soundness there  - ask the Meath men. Fans from Mayo not cocky either obviously so easy on.
I hope there will be loads of hype in Mayo now. The days are getting short and this is a great distraction.
In the past Mayo beating themselves with hype was used by lazy/ clueless hacks who did not get the big picture. Including local shit.
Hype has never been the cause of our past failings. I ve been posting here a while and my old posts are there to be seen. I d still stand over what I ve posted.

Sure Tyrone can do a number on us. That is sport.

On the other hand, have Dublin and Mayo made the game more ...................... I dunno ...... watchable?

Farrandeelin

Best post yet moysider. Yes the hype will kick off, and let itovw seeing children in Mayo jerseys. If Tyrone beat us, they are a great side. Truly, because this Mayo team is a great side. It won't be for lack of workrate that loses the game for Mayo.

PS Lar, I'm not all doom and gloom! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

nrico2006

I honestly can't get over the arrogance that seems to be coming out of Mayo.  Why the constant reference to the Roscommon game too?  Tyrone have hammered them two years running therefore I'm sure they weren;t completely fired up for the third installment a few weeks ago.  All this cockiness from Mayo is allowing Tyrone to be completely written off from every quarter.  Mayo are a good team, but to be honest I don't see them as being anything special and the only team I would be worried about from a Tyrone perspective would be Dublin.  Great cover from Tyrone to come in as overwhelming underdogs against a team notorious for choking.  There is no way Mayo are going to hammer 3 or 4 goals by Tyrone and no way that O'Connor's luck will continue into this game.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sans pessimism

Quote from: ballinaman on August 06, 2013, 11:41:16 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2013, 11:30:17 PM
I'm not privy to the hype inside the county and since its not a novelty for Mayo to be competing in semi finals I'm sure there isn't any sheep painting going on just yet.
Oh and this was taken last Thursday by the way..... ;D

Doubt they lived to see the result!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

sans pessimism

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 07, 2013, 08:23:33 AM
I honestly can't get over the arrogance that seems to be coming out of Mayo.  Why the constant reference to the Roscommon game too?  Tyrone have hammered them two years running therefore I'm sure they weren;t completely fired up for the third installment a few weeks ago.  All this cockiness from Mayo is allowing Tyrone to be completely written off from every quarter.  Mayo are a good team, but to be honest I don't see them as being anything special and the only team I would be worried about from a Tyrone perspective wouldo be Dublin.  Great cover from Tyrone to come in as overwhelming underdogs against a team notorious for choking.  There is no way Mayo are going to hammer 3 or 4 goals by Tyrone and no way that O'Connor's luck will continue into this game.
O Connors 'luck'???......was it Arnold Palmer that said
"the more I practice, the luckier I get".........
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ballinaman

I honestly can't get over the arrogance that seems to be coming out of Mayo.  Why the constant reference to the Roscommon game too?  Tyrone have hammered them two years running therefore I'm sure they weren;t completely fired up for the third installment a few weeks ago.  All this cockiness from Mayo is allowing Tyrone to be completely written off from every quarter.  Mayo are a good team, but to be honest I don't see them as being anything special and the only team I would be worried about from a Tyrone perspective would be Dublin.  Great cover from Tyrone to come in as overwhelming underdogs against a team notorious for choking.  There is no way Mayo are going to hammer 3 or 4 goals by Tyrone and no way that O'Connor's luck will continue into this game.
Can you speak to as many Tyrone people as you can and repeat that over the next few weeks, local radio or even yer man Logie bear. It'll be much appreciated. Thanks, love Mayo

Farrandeelin

All this coming from a man who predicted Donegal would beat us too
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

I can't get over the arrogance of Tyrone (well, you in particular). The outrage from Tyrone that Mayo supporters should feel confident ahead of their semi-final is bizarre. We have been in the last 3 All-Ireland semi-finals,  in the final last year, beaten the reigning AI champions in each of those years, have won all championship games this year by an average of 15 points, and just demolished last year's champions (who beat Tyrone earlier in the summer you might remember).
That by no means we'll beat Tyrone, but in my opinion, it allows us to feel confident about our chances. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

BennyHarp

Quote from: moysider on August 07, 2013, 12:55:39 AM
If you lads think that Tyrone have been playing to their full potential in every game this year then you may be in for an awful shock come August 25th. There's hardly a man, bar big Sean, who has reached full tilt yet. There's nothing better than being complete underdogs against a cocky Mayo team!

How were they cocky?
Mayo were 22 points up at one stage v Donegal and were there any olés from the Mayo fans, even though we were hammmering a team that inflicted one of the most miserable days of our lives. Bit of soundness there  - ask the Meath men. Fans from Mayo not cocky either obviously so easy on.
I hope there will be loads of hype in Mayo now. The days are getting short and this is a great distraction.
In the past Mayo beating themselves with hype was used by lazy/ clueless hacks who did not get the big picture. Including local shit.
Hype has never been the cause of our past failings. I ve been posting here a while and my old posts are there to be seen. I d still stand over what I ve posted.

On the other hand, have Dublin and Mayo made the game more ...................... I dunno ...... watchable?

I've spoken to many Mayo folk over the past few days and the level of arrogance is unbelievable. Tyrone are being dismissed as merely a nuisance along the way to the big one in September against the Dubs. Also its very premature to be calling yourselves a great team too as you haven't won the AI......yet! Supporters claiming to have revolutionised the game - even made it more watchable as they have dispatched everyone that has been put in front of them. But I'm sure the Mayo players will be grand as, after all, they have never bottled it in a big game before!
That was never a square ball!!

NaomhBridAbú

Have to say that Mayo look very strong - outside the performance v Donegal. Last years all Ireland finalists, with a strong squad of savage footballers. Plenty of depth - big names all over the park - i don't accept that they don't have a marquee forward. Outside of frees, Tyrones points have come from midfield in the last few games...O'Neill is lethal when on form but if he doesnt get the ball and is marked by 3 men then tyrone don't have a marquee forward either...scores from other positions will determine the result of this game and Mayo have men as good as anyone else.

Both sets of fans should be pleased that they are where they are...Tyrone maybe more so...i certainly didnt expect to be playing at this stage of the year....

Worth the admission to see O'Shea (s) v Cavanagh(s) - will be a class game and one that i hope can blow away all the negativity surrounding the game and in particular tyrone.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Tubberman

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 07, 2013, 09:33:05 AM

How were they cocky?

I've spoken to many Mayo folk over the past few days and the level of arrogance is unbelievable. Tyrone are being dismissed as merely a nuisance along the way to the big one in September against the Dubs. Also its very premature to be calling yourselves a great team too as you haven't won the AI......yet! Supporters claiming to have revolutionised the game - even made it more watchable as they have dispatched everyone that has been put in front of them. But I'm sure the Mayo players will be grand as, after all, they have never bottled it in a big game before!

Is it always a Tyrone tactic to be so antagonistic? It applies to supporters as well?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

lenny

How were they cocky?

Its the same up here in reverse. I have spoken to a number of tyrone fans and they are only thinking of dublin or kerry in the final. They are simply assuming that mayo will bottle it as usual. They also think the bashing from rte will galavanise harte and the players and propel them on the way to another all ireland.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: lenny on August 07, 2013, 09:53:07 AM

How were they cocky?

Its the same up here in reverse. I have spoken to a number of tyrone fans and they are only thinking of dublin or kerry in the final. They are simply assuming that mayo will bottle it as usual. They also think the bashing from rte will galavanise harte and the players and propel them on the way to another all ireland.

It will take a bad day at the office from Mayo if Tyrone are to win this. If both teams play to their max then Mayo by 5!!

HiMucker

As a neutral I would just like to state I don't find the Mayo lads arrogant one bit.  This is one of best teams I have seen (there has been a few with better players in it, but as a unit they are exceptional), but they will have to win the AI to get the credit.

If this was in a by gone era, then I would fancy Tyrones chances, as they have plenty of motivation with the all the negative publicity they have been getting (undeserved I might add).  But the game has moved on, it is at a much more professional level with every aspect and detail of the game worked on.  Mangers and coaches these days are now really earning their corn.  Even if Mayo have 5/6 poor individual performances, the collective strategy and tactics that the team unit is working to will see them over the line.  The high pressing in the oppositions half for turn overs, etc etc.  As one of the Tyrone boys said Mayo are a year ahead in their redevelopment (I would say 2), they are also fitter and have greater strength in depth.  Mayo will win pulling away in the last ten.
Mayo will beat the dubs, but hopefully Kerry will get through, as I think Mayo will demolish them.  And if Tyrone do manage to win Kerry will shit their pants at the sight of them.

Lar Naparka

So you can't, can you?
Using that line of logic one could say with equal validity, "I think I just got a good boot up the arse."
Could it be that the "arrogance" you can't get over may be coming from somewhere else since you are unsure of its origin or could it be that you aren't sure if its arrogance or not?

Maybe you should just calm down and takes what's going on here for what it is: a bit of two-way banter between the supporters of both counties. 
Another thing, us long-suffering Mayo fans feel we have good reason to complain also.
Every time we win a game, many outsiders will put it down to the opposition being poor and if the fans feel upbeat it will be put down to in-bred "arrogance."
If Tyrone had pasted Roscommon, it would be regarded as a sure sign that Mickey the Magician had re-invented the wheel and Tyrone were on their way to glory once more. After all, Roscommon had given them a damn good run for their money for two years running.
That's a fact you seem to have conveniently overlooked when you claim Tyrone weren't completely fired up for the third instalment.
BTW, you are the very first Tyronie I've come across that claims Tyrone hammered Roscommon two years running.
While I'm at it, can you refer to a single half-serious post here where a Mayo poster claimed we'd annihilate Tyrone or that Sam was already in the bag or anything approaching either?
I'm feeling confident that Mayo will win this game and I have good reason to feel that way. What's wrong with that?
Apart from the respective results against Roscommon, Mayo swept Donegal aside and yet Donegal were able to beat Tyrone. Does that count for anything when you start moaning about Mayo's "cockiness?"
Nothing can guarantee a win for Mayo in the next game and I expect a good, tough contest from beginning to end but I'm putting my money on my own county and I think I have good reason to do so.
I expect most Mayo people will feel the same way and what's wrong with that?

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi