We need to talk about Stephen Cluxton

Started by highorlow, July 16, 2017, 07:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Made history today and will again the next day.

Changed the modern game and Dublin football.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

macdanger2

Class player. I've always wondered why more teams don't try to get at him though, say Donaghy or someone piling in on top of him and clattering him to get under his skin.

Farrandeelin

Thankfully a decent thread about the Dubs. I'm sick of people complaining about the advantages they have. The same ones were always there. However, you have to hand it to Cluxton a super player. It will be interesting to see how Dublin will fare when he goes. Even now when he has wobbled, not often to be honest, the other teams seem to come closer.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

In 20 or 30 years' time when the Dubs are surfing another one of their waves of mediocrity,  Cluxton will be remembered as one of the main men of this current great team. Will there be a Bernard Brogan the third? BB III.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

great player

I'm still waiting for a team to properly push up on his kickouts

valeman

Wonderful player. Totally revolutionised the position of goalkeeper, and in turn made the position an integral part of any good teams game plan.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2017, 07:27:59 AM
Thankfully a decent thread about the Dubs. I'm sick of people complaining about the advantages they have. The same ones were always there. However, you have to hand it to Cluxton a super player. It will be interesting to see how Dublin will fare when he goes. Even now when he has wobbled, not often to be honest, the other teams seem to come closer.

They were getting millions more in grant money and sponsorships back in the 70s?

???

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2017, 07:27:59 AM
As I said recently Farr, the Dubs are not to blame for the lucky position they find themselves in.
If Stephen Rochford had Jim Gavin's resources, do you think he wouldn't do the same?
Dublin GAA played no part in enticing thousands of people to gravitate towards the Greater Dublin Region, nor is he responsible for the widespread and most worrying phenomenon of rural depopulation.
Of course, for the long term benefit of the game, Dublin must be subdivided but there is very little to be gained from all other counties moaning about Dublin's superiority in every conceivable way over the chasing pack.
Has Mayo made any move to summit a development plan to HQ? I doubt it and if a progressive county like ours hasn't already done so, there's feck all chance that any other did either.'
Counties are going to have to face the inevitability of amalgamation.
Shag  History and Tradition, smoke screens for inertia.
What made sense in 1884 bears feck all relevance to the Ireland of today.
All that said, unless there are monstrumental changes, the rest of Ireland will go the way of Leinster and we can't blame Dublin for that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 17, 2017, 01:16:18 PM

I would hope by the time that inevitability rears its head, that the turkeys would feel compelled to vote against Christmas and go with a tiered Championship.

Taylor

Fantastic player.

It seems every Dublin player can be replaced or has competition for their place bar Cluxton.

Dubs looked vulnerable when he didnt play a few games earlier in the year

Syferus

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 17, 2017, 01:33:54 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 17, 2017, 01:16:18 PM

I would hope by the time that inevitability rears its head, that the turkeys would feel compelled to vote against Christmas and go with a tiered Championship.

Amalgamations would be preferable to creating ghettos where none exsisted before.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I think by about 2025 when Dublin have won 19 out of the last 20 Leinsters something will have to be done.

Captain Scarlet

Is this a Stephen Cluxton thread? Was he manufactured in a secret lab in DCU or something?!
He has totally changed the game with his ability to restart the game so quickly and accurately. He can take two steps back and ping it 45 yards. That is his kick-outs alone which is now deemed the most important part of the intercounty keeper's game.
On top of that he then started taking long range frees and now that is the norm, even for club keepers to give it a go.
Then he rarely gets his angles wrong and is a good shot stopper. He also rarely fails to clear a ball in on top of him. He has to be the best in history.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

westbound

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 17, 2017, 03:07:49 PM
Is this a Stephen Cluxton thread? Was he manufactured in a secret lab in DCU or something?!
He has totally changed the game with his ability to restart the game so quickly and accurately. He can take two steps back and ping it 45 yards. That is his kick-outs alone which is now deemed the most important part of the intercounty keeper's game.
On top of that he then started taking long range frees and now that is the norm, even for club keepers to give it a go.
Then he rarely gets his angles wrong and is a good shot stopper. He also rarely fails to clear a ball in on top of him. He has to be the best in history.

Cluxton is top class, no doubt about that. Best in history? - probably.

But he wasn't the first keeper to come up taking frees. (He was the first keeper to kick the winning point in the all Ireland final in fairness!)

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

He is the greatest keeper of all time at the moment, nobody can argue with what he has done to increase the standard of the game. Plenty are closing the gap to him though. Not much else to be said on the matter.