Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club boi

Quote from: Combsy on June 29, 2019, 11:55:22 PM
Good result from Tyrone. Plenty of good performances especially McShane and Harte. Matty Donnelly showed well too. Very good management also. Well done Mickey and team.

Ok horse

square_ball

Quote from: Angelo on June 30, 2019, 08:51:35 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 30, 2019, 08:00:17 AM
Quote from: Angelo on June 30, 2019, 12:06:06 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on June 29, 2019, 11:31:50 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 29, 2019, 09:35:38 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 29, 2019, 07:17:10 PM
Niall Morgan has naked photos of Mickey Harte.

Go away from home for a really tricky tie, play great football winning by 10 and scoring 2-22. The fact this was your only comment on the game sums up the mentality of many on this thread.

Number of excellent performances as mentioned by others. I think you can usually tell quickly if Morgan is on form for frees and there's no way he should have got hitting 3. But there was a lot more to the performance than that.

In tight games those 3 potential pints are vital. This is one of the key differences between tyrone and the top teams, we have no reliable free taker. Morgan has proved the past 4 years he is not a reliable free taker. Not sure why Mickey keeps sending him up as it's not really fair on him.

Morgan may not be a reliable free taker but he's not a bad long distance free taker, he's the best we have in the squad now.

I had made some additional comments on the thread on the main board.
Niall Morgan has about a 10 -20% hit rate with these free kicks at the very best. If there is no one able to take them, then take them short and try and work a better opportunity.
You'd think that Morgan himself would have the gumption to know not to go up and take them. The man's not wise.

Cassidy is a great player. Can't for the life of me understand why Harte dropped for the Donegal game.

Pretty sure Morgan's hit rate is much higher across the league and Championship this year, I'd say it's probably 50% anyway and very few players are above 60% from that range. Even Michael Murphy who is one of the best around, missed a couple of mid to long range ones against us in the semi final. Morgan in contrast hit 2/2 from his long range frees against Donegal.

What skews Morgan's stats is he only hits the ones around the 40 yard and further range. Cillian O'Connor only has a ratio of around 30% from this range, all the top free takers will struggle from here. Beggan missed 3 or 4 against Cavan in the Ulster Championship this year.

As unreliable as Morgan may be, there are probably only a handful more who have better success rate from that range.

Exactly. As soon as Morgan misses a few the knives are out. The criticism he gets is unreal. His kick outs were brilliant yesterday. Still remains one of the best in the country.

trailer

Quote from: square_ball on June 30, 2019, 11:36:23 AM

Go away from home for a really tricky tie, play great football winning by 10 and scoring 2-22. The fact this was your only comment on the game sums up the mentality of many on this thread.

Number of excellent performances as mentioned by others. I think you can usually tell quickly if Morgan is on form for frees and there's no way he should have got hitting 3. But there was a lot more to the performance than that.

In tight games those 3 potential pints are vital. This is one of the key differences between tyrone and the top teams, we have no reliable free taker. Morgan has proved the past 4 years he is not a reliable free taker. Not sure why Mickey keeps sending him up as it's not really fair on him.

Morgan may not be a reliable free taker but he's not a bad long distance free taker, he's the best we have in the squad now.

Niall Morgan has about a 10 -20% hit rate with these free kicks at the very best. If there is no one able to take them, then take them short and try and work a better opportunity.
You'd think that Morgan himself would have the gumption to know not to go up and take them. The man's not wise.

Cassidy is a great player. Can't for the life of me understand why Harte dropped for the Donegal game.

Pretty sure Morgan's hit rate is much higher across the league and Championship this year, I'd say it's probably 50% anyway and very few players are above 60% from that range. Even Michael Murphy who is one of the best around, missed a couple of mid to long range ones against us in the semi final. Morgan in contrast hit 2/2 from his long range frees against Donegal.

What skews Morgan's stats is he only hits the ones around the 40 yard and further range. Cillian O'Connor only has a ratio of around 30% from this range, all the top free takers will struggle from here. Beggan missed 3 or 4 against Cavan in the Ulster Championship this year.

As unreliable as Morgan may be, there are probably only a handful more who have better success rate from that range.

Exactly. As soon as Morgan misses a few the knives are out. The criticism he gets is unreal. His kick outs were brilliant yesterday. Still remains one of the best in the country.

Hit rate, stats, blah, blah, blah. If you can't score them, don't take them.

Mikhailov

His kickouts are meant to be good - that is his main job. Every half decent keeper even at club level can hit kick-outs short or long to keep possession. That is a MUST for a county keeper. He shouldn't miss a few free kicks - how many does Dean Rock or Sean O'Shea miss?? They are the free kickers of our main competitor teams to contest the AI - Morgan doesn't even come close in comparison to those 2 - not even in the same conversation.......in saying that I would love it if he proves me wrong and we get AI number 4.

square_ball

I meant remains one of the best goalkeepers in Ireland. In terms of his frees the range he hits them at means that he's going to miss his fair share. That's just the reality and people are kidding themselves if they think he should be getting 75% plus of them.

Angelo

Quote from: Mikhailov on June 30, 2019, 01:47:24 PM

His kickouts are meant to be good - that is his main job. Every half decent keeper even at club level can hit kick-outs short or long to keep possession. That is a MUST for a county keeper. He shouldn't miss a few free kicks - how many does Dean Rock or Sean O'Shea miss?? They are the free kickers of our main competitor teams to contest the AI - Morgan doesn't even come close in comparison to those 2 - not even in the same conversation.......in saying that I would love it if he proves me wrong and we get AI number 4.

Rock and O'Shea miss some from there too.

The difference between a keeper taking them and the likes of O'Connor, Murphy, O'Shea and Rock is that those lads will usually had a few 20 yards frees before in between and after the long range ones to convert and put the misses out of their mind.

I put up something a few months back on the main board on COC. It was a graph done on his free taking, his success rate dropped hugely from out around the 45 yard line, I'd imagine that is similar enough with even the best free takers.

I'd say 60% of frees being converted from that range is outstanding, if you 3/5 from those you'd be quite happy with that in a given game.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

marty34

Quote from: trailer on June 30, 2019, 12:34:42 PM

What sort of statement is that?
Unless you are 100% of scoring, don't take on a shot then.

We'll stick with the 1-1 scoreline then.

Angelo

U20s seemed to make hard work of Down in the end, they were 10 or 11 points up at one stage but it was down to a point down the straight, came out 2 point victors in the end.

Murnaghan was not in the squad so must be injured.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

RedHand88

What's the verdict on the draw? It could have been worse. Avoid Mayo, Galway, Donegal and Kerry until a potential semi final.

WT4E

Nearly the Best possible draw for tyrone and probably the worst at the same time.

Looks like we are favourites to get to another semi and possibly a final getting all our hopes up again spending a rip of money and convincing myself that we can beat Dublin. Only to get hammered and be depressed about tyrone all winter again.

REPEAT

RedHand88

Quote from: WT4E on July 01, 2019, 11:34:43 AM
Nearly the Best possible draw for tyrone and probably the worst at the same time.

Looks like we are favourites to get to another semi and possibly a final getting all our hopes up again spending a rip of money and convincing myself that we can beat Dublin. Only to get hammered and be depressed about tyrone all winter again.

REPEAT

Sure it's a day out/weekend away.

But aye it's the hope that kills you.

skeog

Looks good for 1st of Sept momentum gathering.Cavan are on a low after a very poor showing last day.

GetOverTheBar

REPEAT

Wouldn't look too far past Cavan to be honest. They'll fancy it.

RedHand88

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 01, 2019, 12:40:10 PM

REPEAT

Wouldn't look too far past Cavan to be honest. They'll fancy it.

Not over on the cavan board anyway.

trailer

Quote from: marty34 on June 30, 2019, 05:53:06 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 30, 2019, 12:34:42 PM

What sort of statement is that?
Unless you are 100% of scoring, don't take on a shot then.

We'll stick with the 1-1 scoreline then.

Id settle for 50%, At the minute it's about 10%
This is a fair criticism of him. Some amount of people giving him a rim job on here. He's absolutely shite at free kicks. He shouldn't take them, but he must have a hard on for himself that is unreal if even he can't see how f**king shite he is.
I hope I am proved wrong.