Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 09:47:08 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 08:24:49 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 08:18:26 PM
Give it a rest FtB, of course that will happen if the teams meet and Mayo have a home game against Dublin. You're CB would be lynched if they didn't have 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game. Your paranoia is getting the better of you.

What is the Capacity of McHale Park?

I don't know, 35,000? I understand the capacity is less than the demand would be but whatever about a county with a 20,000 capacity or less having to give up home advantage, Mayo would not and to imply otherwise is disingenuous to say the least.

It holds 38,000 (all seated). You are talking about 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game.  Do you think the GAA who invented this Super 8 to get extra revenue from the Game will have Dublin play a Championship game in McHale park minus the extra capacity, the Rent paying Vendors and Corporate Boxes? This is not about getting better games. This is not about giving everyone a fair chance. This is about the GAA regaining declining revenue. This game would only be played in McHale Park if it was a Dead Rubber fixture!

Esmarelda

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:03:40 PM
Give it a rest FtB, of course that will happen if the teams meet and Mayo have a home game against Dublin. You're CB would be lynched if they didn't have 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game. Your paranoia is getting the better of you.

I don't know, 35,000? I understand the capacity is less than the demand would be but whatever about a county with a 20,000 capacity or less having to give up home advantage, Mayo would not and to imply otherwise is disingenuous to say the least.

It holds 38,000 (all seated). You are talking about 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game.  Do you think the GAA who invented this Super 8 to get extra revenue from the Game will have Dublin play a Championship game in McHale park minus the extra capacity, the Rent paying Vendors and Corporate Boxes? This is not about getting better games. This is not about giving everyone a fair chance. This is about the GAA regaining declining revenue. This game would only be played in McHale Park if it was a Dead Rubber fixture!
Ha ha. Already a step back from what you've REPEATEDLY said previously.

Zulu

FtB, with respect, that's not true. Every second year (almost) there's a Munster final in Killarney with 30,000 Corkonians going  to Killarney, many knowing they won't get a ticket for the match. The same would happen if Mayo hosted Dublin. The GAA isn't run by non-GAA people but they have to make some tough decisions. I'm a genuine GAA man but believe the provincials are a complete crock, other genuine GAA people believe they are vital. Duffy and others have to try and make decisions that will annoy people irrespective of what they do. It's easy to say the guys at the top aren't GAA men when the rest of us fundamentally disagree on many things. It's a poisoned chalice running the GAA IMO.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 05, 2017, 10:12:07 PM

There is NO step back from what I said previously.  ;)

macdanger2

The problem is a gap in standards. No changes to championship structure is going to alleviate that

From the Bunker

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 05, 2017, 10:17:06 PM
The problem is a gap in standards. No changes to championship structure is going to alleviate that

+1

seafoid

Gaelic is in a very bad state if 3 of the 4 qfs are walkovers
The Super 8 is partly to bring up standards of the lower 4 but also about money . I think the GAA is too complacent about the supporters . For how long.more are people going to.pay to watch mismatched teams?  And is great to see the Dubs with a team like that but it certainly isn't fair.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

You need campaign finance reform
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:14:58 PM
FtB, with respect, that's not true. Every second year (almost) there's a Munster final in Killarney with 30,000 Corkonians going  to Killarney, many knowing they won't get a ticket for the match. The same would happen if Mayo hosted Dublin. The GAA isn't run by non-GAA people but they have to make some tough decisions. I'm a genuine GAA man but believe the provincials are a complete crock, other genuine GAA people believe they are vital. Duffy and others have to try and make decisions that will annoy people irrespective of what they do. It's easy to say the guys at the top aren't GAA men when the rest of us fundamentally disagree on many things. It's a poisoned chalice running the GAA IMO.

This is not Kerry and Cork! This is Dublin! Kerry and Cork have a Provincial Championship agreement. There is no such agreement between Dublin and any other county. All Super 8 games involving Dublin will be in Dublin. Ground Capacity and all the other factors influence this.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:17:58 PM

+1

Partly true, but more games and teams training together for longer will help improve them. However, it won't mean Galway (for example) will beat Dublin but it does mean counties get a better season. I could probably name 4 teams for any sports tournament in the world where one of them will win it, you might get a few surprises but I doubt there's any nigh level team competition in the world that isn't confined to a handful of likely winners.

Syferus

Hang on, 30,000 Cork football supporters? Are you sending these communiques from a parallel universe or something?

Rolling on the floor laughing.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:23:49 PM

This is not Kerry and Cork! This is Dublin! Kerry and Cork have a Provincial Championship agreement. There is no such agreement between Dublin and any other county. All Super 8 games involving Dublin will be in Dublin. Ground Capacity and all the other factors influence this.

Wrong, you couldn't be more wrong. If Mayo are playing Dublin at home in the super 8 you will be playing them in Castlebar, guaranteed.

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 10:25:25 PM

Hang on, 30,000 Cork football supporters? Are you sending these communiques from a parallel universe or something?

Rolling on the floor laughing.

I've been at Munster finals in Killarney but like your state of the union address re Cavan minors you seem to think you know everything when all the evidence points in the other direction.

macdanger2

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 10:27:01 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:23:49 PM

Wrong, you couldn't be more wrong. If Mayo are playing Dublin at home in the super 8 you will be playing them in Castlebar, guaranteed.

Isn't it the case though that that will only happen in years where one of the teams is a qualifier?

Esmarelda

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 10:16:34 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 05, 2017, 10:12:07 PM

There is NO step back from what I said previously.  ;)
July 24th 2017 - "If Mayo were to play Dublin there is no way the game would be in McHale Park."
July 23rd 2017 - "Dublin play a Championship game in Castlebar - Are you on drugs! Do you still believe in Santa?"

I see you also mention the new version. So which is it?