Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Bullshit, you've no solution. Stop moaning about other suggestions when you've none yourself.

From the Bunker

Can you imagine Armagh having to play Dublin in the next game and Monaghan having to Play Tyrone. And all within a week?

NIGHTMARE

The Trap

There is NO solution. We had a great game and we ruined it!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:24:20 PM
Every sport in the world provides more games than we do and all those sports provide poor games and great games. The only way, absolutely only way, to provide more good games is to provide more games between the top teams. The super 8 does that. Of course we need to look at the finances and other issues but money won't make Longford competitive against Dublin every year and splitting counties is anti-GAA, not to mention unrealistic. So the only realistic option for now is to pit Dublin, Mayo and Kerry against each other more often and hope the likes of Kildare, Galway etc. can close the gap.

What about a World Series of Gaelic Football where Kerry and Dublin play each other over a best of seven matches?
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:25:53 PM
Bullshit, you've no solution. Stop moaning about other suggestions when you've none yourself.

Already stated multiple times. Your solution is to let Dublin win endless titles as they drain national interest in the sport with their GAA-endorsed advatantages. You know very well how much has changed in the last 15 years to add to all the natural advantages your pet county has.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:24:48 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 05, 2017, 07:20:55 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:18:19 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:10:02 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:06:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:03:23 PM
Eh? At least the super 8 would provide us with some good games as opposed to what we have.

It would provide us at least twice as many of games like the one that's so one-sided that it's allowing you to post on a forum right now.

Not necessarily. We could be watching Dublin against Mayo in Castlebar or Monaghan against Roscommon in Clones. There'll be bad games in any system, the issue is can we get more good games in a different one?

The only reason you might have more good games is by sheer volume, you're also increasing the dross exponentially as well. That's a terrible way to do it and dilutes the product even more.

If you can't see that the answer to more competitive games isn't a formatting problem I'm afraid you're well off the mark.
Question for you. The solution you've told us previously, which you won't repeat, would it have gotten a 2/3 vote in Congress? Let's pretend that the people voting didn't know that it came from you.

I'm sick of the same loop of discussing what needs to be done. I'm not going to get into it here; you're not bothered to use the search function, so like hell will I be bothered to type it up again. There's enough circling and circling the same topics on this forum without adding to it in the middle of the season. There was more than enough threads on championship format ideas to whet any appetite you have for the topic.
I didn't ask you to repeat it. I asked if you thought it would get a two thirds majority at congress. Would it?

Zulu

Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:28:54 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:25:53 PM

Already stated multiple times. Your solution is to let Dublin win endless titles as they drain national interest in the sport with their GAA-endorsed advatantages. You know very well how much has changed in the last 15 years to add to all the natural ad ranges your pet county has.

Again, nonsense. I'm tempted to ask you to put your mother on the phone as I feel like I'm speaking to a child. I don't want Dublin, or any other county, win every year. I want us to have a fair format for everyone. Dublin, due to their population will always be there or thereabouts but splitting counties and amalgamating counties is pie in the sky stuff so lets work for a realistic format that will give counties a better season even if Dublin and one or two others are likely to win the majority of All Irelands.

screenexile

Should we just call the All Ireland Championship the super 3's??

(Super 2's depending on how much the Dubs beat Tyrone by)

Gabriel_Hurl

There's salt in them tears  :D :D :D :D

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:10:02 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 05, 2017, 07:06:32 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 07:03:23 PM
Eh? At least the super 8 would provide us with some good games as opposed to what we have.

It would provide us at least twice as many of games like the one that's so one-sided that it's allowing you to post on a forum right now.

Not necessarily. We could be watching Dublin against Mayo in Castlebar or Monaghan against Roscommon in Clones. There'll be bad games in any system, the issue is can we get more good games in a different one?

Are you for REAL? You think that a Championship game involving Mayo and Dublin would be in Castlebar? Really? You are one naive individual.

Zulu

Give it a rest FtB, of course that will happen if the teams meet and Mayo have a home game against Dublin. You're CB would be lynched if they didn't have 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game. Your paranoia is getting the better of you.

Rossfan

Quote from: The Trap on August 05, 2017, 07:27:10 PM
There is NO solution. We had a great game and we ruined it!
Could you elaborate on that please?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 08:18:26 PM
Give it a rest FtB, of course that will happen if the teams meet and Mayo have a home game against Dublin. You're CB would be lynched if they didn't have 20-30,000 Dubs coming to Mayo for a game. Your paranoia is getting the better of you.

What is the Capacity of McHale Park?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 02, 2017, 03:13:46 PM
Top Six instead...4 provincial champs plus one qualifier from A and one from B.

Two groups of 3, two games for each county, top two to semifinals.

So this year would see Kerry, Roscommon and Mayo/Galway on one side and Dublin, Tyrone and Monaghan/Armagh on the other.  Game 1 has the Provincial champs meet in Croke Park, and qualifier has two away games.  Winner of game 1 plays qualifier in game 2.  Let's assume winner of game 1 wins again.  That means the last game, between loser of game 1 and qualifier, is for a semifinal spot.  No draws, no extra time even, winner decided by playing on after normal time and time added on until we get a score.  A scenario could arise with all three teams having one win each...how best to sort that out? Is Scoring difference really fair, or is the Aussie % better as it takes differing weather conditions into account? 

I suggest goals scored be the first tie-breaker.  That would be different.

We can call it the Six-Pack.

This should gain momentum as a way forward.  Although I would tweak it to send qualifier counties away from their provincial champions.

This year would see a final qualifier pair of games, Mayo/Galway and Armagh/Monaghan.   Mayo/Galway winner joins Dublin and Tyrone, Armagh/Monaghan winner joins Kerry and Roscommon.

Game 1 in sees provincial champs play (thereby giving qualifier winner a week off)...Kerry v Roscommon and Dublin v Tyrone, both games in Croke Park.

Game 2 is loser of Game 1 v qualifier, with loser of Game 1 at home, and Game 3 is winner Game 1 at home v qualifier.

Provincial championship worth a lot when it comes to "seeding", and the hard road is for the qualifier teams. 

All I need is how to separate the nightmare scenario of the three teams getting one win each....any thoughts?

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 05, 2017, 08:24:49 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2017, 08:18:26 PM

What is the Capacity of McHale Park?

I don't know, 35,000? I understand the capacity is less than the demand would be but whatever about a county with a 20,000 capacity or less having to give up home advantage, Mayo would not and to imply otherwise is disingenuous to say the least.