Previous topic - Next topic

vallankumous

Quote from: tippabu on February 25, 2017, 10:58:31 AM
Motion passed

The fun only begins now.
Let's see if this CPA has any teeth.

Take Your Points

Early warning to Tony Fearon!

When booking your hotel for the All Ireland football weekend, please note the final will be on the last Sunday in August in 2018.

yellowcard

The suits have voted, it's now time for the people at grass roots level struggling with crippling debts and growing disenchantment to take back our organisation. I hope the CPA are strong on this and seriously look at the prospect of a strike. What sort of organisation goes against the beliefs and wishes of it's playing members to such an extent. Dinosaurs at board level promised a few extra quid to buy their vote and ignoring the growing problems for the sport. it's long past the time for major reform. This vote is a big 2 fingers up to grass roots players.

manfromdelmonte

I cannot understand how so many counties voted for this?

What have they been promised in return?
eg Leitrim, Longford, Antrim, Fermanagh, Wicklow, Carlow, Waterford, Limerick, Kilkenny, Louth, Sligo, Westmeath, Offaly

Redhand Santa

Why wouldn't the smaller counties vote for it in exchange for money to support and promote games in their county? What difference will the super 8s make to them? They'll get knocked out and play the same championship games as they do now. If anything it'll help club activity in those counties by tightening up the schedule.

The only way things will improve for them is to have their own championship that everyone aspires to win with possibly a route back into the main championship for the winners.

vallankumous

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 25, 2017, 11:46:26 AM

eg Leitrim, Longford, Antrim, Fermanagh, Wicklow, Carlow, Waterford, Limerick, Kilkenny, Louth, Sligo, Westmeath, Offaly

Maximum coverage for our major sponsors. Remember, we are dealing with the same companies that sponsor FIFA tournaments.

Redhand Santa

You'd also have to wonder in the small counties how their is issues over club fixtures. They generally are knocked out by early July at the latest. That gives them nearly 4 months to get their championship and remaining games played off.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 25, 2017, 11:46:26 AM

All were probably given funding by HQ recently and told they wouldnt receive any more funding unless they passed this motion. Even a super 8 county like Mayo had to say yes after the interest free loan they got from HQ for MacHale park.

yellowcard

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 25, 2017, 11:53:14 AM
Why wouldn't the smaller counties vote for it in exchange for money to support and promote games in their county? What difference will the super 8s make to them? They'll get knocked out and play the same championship games as they do now. If anything it'll help club activity in those counties by tightening up the schedule.

The only way things will improve for them is to have their own championship that everyone aspires to win with possibly a route back into the main championship for the winners.

Maybe I've missed something but is this not an amateur organisation based on a volunteer ethos. The congregation of board delegates are a bunch of career politicians who are totally out of touch with the people on the ground and who in effect voted according to how they were told by the hierarchy. Lobbying and promises of more finance have won the day. Hurling completely discarded as well. I hope that this is the straw that broke the camels back.

Rossfan

Jases lads calm down!!
We have 3 years to come up with a better system and lobby/promote it for Congress 2020.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

Quote from: yellowcard on February 25, 2017, 12:07:54 PM

Maybe I've missed something but is this not an amateur organisation based on a volunteer ethos. The congregation of board delegates are a bunch of career politicians who are totally out of touch with the people on the ground and who in effect voted according to how they were told by the hierarchy. Lobbying and promises of more finance have won the day. Hurling completely discarded as well. I hope that this is the straw that broke the camels back.

What difference will the super 8s make to a county who maybe make the quarters once every 15 years anyway? That's the question I'm asking. They'll still be finished up by July giving plenty of time for club games in the county. How is a few extra games between the top counties actually going to effect them?

vallankumous

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2017, 12:12:25 PM
Jases lads calm down!!
We have 3 years to come up with a better system and lobby/promote it for Congress 2020.

3 years is a long time in a club players life. It's time enough to start a career, find a partner, get married and have a child. 3 years is life changing and anyone thinking about giving the next 3 years of their lives to club football will be thinking very hard about it.

BennyCake

The GAA hierarchy = a dictatorship.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: vallankumous on February 25, 2017, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2017, 12:12:25 PM
Jases lads calm down!!

3 years is a long time in a club players life. It's time enough to start a career, find a partner, get married and have a child. 3 years is life changing and anyone thinking about giving the next 3 years of their lives to club football will be thinking very hard about it.
Nail on head. Calm down sure its only three years  ::)

yellowcard

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 25, 2017, 12:14:57 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 25, 2017, 12:07:54 PM

What difference will the super 8s make to a county who maybe make the quarters once every 15 years anyway? That's the question I'm asking. They'll still be finished up by July giving plenty of time for club games in the county. How is a few extra games between the top counties actually going to effect them?

1. It does nothing to address the inequality of the present system where Dublin and Kerry are effectively in one county provinces and have effectively a bye into the quarter finals each year. Now they can also afford to lose a game in the super 8's (I'm hating that title already) and still probably make the semi final. So they now have effectively a bye into the semi finals each year. The strong will get even further detached from the rest when exactly the opposite was needed to correct the imbalance.

2. I can envisage a scenario whereby players from weaker counties concentrate all their resources entirely on club football if the present system prevails That sounds dramatic but look at what it costs to field an inter county senior team each year. In excess of €500,000 in a lot of cases and that is just for the unsuccessful counties. Indeed it is already happening with lots of players opting out of playing county football in counties like Derry, Down, Galway etc. This will not alleviate the problem and will only serve to increase the divide between weak and strong.

3. I read somewhere that in the peak season months of Jul-Aug-Sep there will be something like 19 football games as opposed to 7 hurling games. This does nothing for hurling.

4. It is now implementted for a trial period of 3 years. Its like sticking a plaster on a bucket with a hole, it does absolutely nothing to address the main issues in our games which I think most people can agree on. Fixtures, championship structure & inequality of the provincial system and finally spiralling costs for counties and clubs.

5. The risk of dead rubbers at a stage of the championship where the results should be do or die. Correspondingly attendances dropping off as people know there will be other days.

But hey, from the GAA's perspective everything is sorted now and we can move on becasue nobody can say we didn't do anything. Now has anyone got any contact details for the CPA.