NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on October 25, 2020, 10:00:29 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on October 25, 2020, 07:51:32 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 25, 2020, 02:53:24 PM
Will be a long half for Galway here I think, that is a gale there in Salthill and 9 points is nowhere near enough of a score with it, they are not playing well again this week, too many lads out of form. Conroy playing unreal but there's not much else with him out there.
That foul by James McCarthy on Ian Burke just before ht was some of the sneakiest dirt you'll ever see on a pitch.

Clumsy from Jamsie.  Lost control of ball and tried to get his foot under the ball. Nothing more than a yellow card.
It was a shocking tackle, knew full well what he was at and Burke was damn lucky to only hobble off the pitch.
The score line flattered Dublin in the end but they had plenty in the tank and could have turned it up a notch if needed. 
We had a number of players out there today that are just not at the required level to seriously challenge at the business end of the championship.  Hard to see us having much of a say this year.

He was going for the ball. Was clumsy.  If Costello had his shooting boots could have won by more even though we were poor for most of game. Fenton,  Kilkenny, Paddy Small and McDaid were very good throughout.  Galway still have Steede, Molloy, Michael Daly and Comer to come back and McDaid and Walsh will start the next day. They need to get better balance between defence and attack. Didn't use the wind to their advantage in first half.

Main Street

Quote from: Gael85 on October 25, 2020, 09:47:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 09:37:21 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on October 25, 2020, 09:21:47 PM
Monaghan extremely fortunate to survive.
To be fair, they beat the 2 teams below them.

Should have beaten Dublin too but failed to close game out.
You guys are replying to the trollbot named SouthDublinBro, you both should know better.

Main Street

Hats off to Tyrone, well done boys!!

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on October 25, 2020, 11:04:54 PM
Hats off to Tyrone, well done boys!!

Thanks, just in the door from the homecoming.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omagh_gael

Not much chat about Lee Keegan trying to do Matty Donnelly, knew exactly what he was at going in there.

Dire Ear

Quote from: JoG2 on October 25, 2020, 04:04:01 PM
Tyrone will do well to get within 5 points of Donegal. Donegal have a potent and very mobile front 6 and half of Tyrone's defenders cannot tackle.
100% right ,  the Pomeroy boyos in patricular

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Dire Ear on October 26, 2020, 09:54:39 AM
Tyrone will do well to get within 5 points of Donegal. Donegal have a potent and very mobile front 6 and half of Tyrone's defenders cannot tackle.

This is definitely the case with Kieran McGeary. I think he brings a lot to the team in terms of intensity, leadership and when he's playing well he's great at driving forward from half back, so I would definitely have him in the starting team. But he plays on the edge and is so reckless in the tackle and as a result gives away a lot of scorable frees which is so frustrating

Angelo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on October 26, 2020, 10:10:59 AM
Quote from: Dire Ear on October 26, 2020, 09:54:39 AM

This is definitely the case with Kieran McGeary. I think he brings a lot to the team in terms of intensity, leadership and when he's playing well he's great at driving forward from half back, so I would definitely have him in the starting team. But he plays on the edge and is so reckless in the tackle and as a result gives away a lot of scorable frees which is so frustrating

I'd have to defend McGeary here, Burns is a lot worse in his tackling for me.

McGeary is very aggressive in his tackling but I actually think technically he is a decent tackler. Some of the frees given against him yesterday were absolutely ridiculous, one in the first half where Coen grabbed his arm, fell over and dragged McGeary over with him, another one where O'Donoghue just flung himself on the ground when McGeary brushed his chest against him with his arms spread out. Never frees in a million years. I think his aggression goes against him, he can be a bit overzealous but he is a good tackler technically - he always tries to get his body in the way rather than dragging and hanging out of players

Burns on the other hand commits some of the laziest tackling you'd see, he got sent off against Galway for a number of lazy tackles, should have got the line against Donegal last week for the exact same. He just seems to have no discipline in his tackling at all. Himself and McKernan are extremely guilty of kamikaze defending where they just charge at men coming through and leave the defence wide open.

It's strange as Burns played as a sweeper for the Tyrone minors back in the day and was extremely good at reading the game and his positional sense, the last couple of years he has looked like a bull in a china shop.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 25, 2020, 05:46:05 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on October 25, 2020, 04:43:02 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 25, 2020, 03:57:57 PM
Dublin strolled past Galway in Salthill who offered very little. Game was played a challenge match pace. Paddy Small looked good up front for Dublin. Galway pulled players back into a blanket defect but Dublin still cut them open several times for goal chances

Galway with a gale force breeze in their backs in the 1st half played very defensively and 2 points was never going to be a big enough lead at half time. Crazy tactics
Galway 4 points ahead on 50 mins and Galway 0-15 Dublin 1-14 after 72 mins is hardly classed as a stroll. After last week with the way Galway performed many expected Dublin to have todays game won by half time and certainly not needing a 2nd goal in the 74th minute to seal the win.

We were actually on top the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half into the wind and got 4 points up but then got sloppy with a couple of bad turnovers inside our own half which Dublin scored a quick 1-2 from against the run of play. First turnover I think O'Donnell actually ran into the back of his own team mate and lost possession. For the Dublin goal Paul Kelly won the breaking ball in midfield but fumbled it under no pressure and Dublin were clean through on goal. We never really looked like getting back level. Think we got within 2 but that was it.

On the plus side the full-back line looked better with Mulkerrin and Sean Kelly probably winning their individual duels overall. Con was well marshalled until injury time. James Foley had a very tough time on debut though against Paddy Small who was on fire for the Dubs.

Conroy was excellent to be fair. One of the few real leaders we have. I think we need to get more pace and athleticism into the side although easier said than done. I think it's very hard to win without having enough pace, dynamism and athleticism in your side these days. Especially at the very top. That's why someone like Comer is invaluable (when he's fit) as he has that raw power and dynamism that can bother top sides like the Dubs.

Looks like Flynn is carrying an injury as well the way he had to go off today. That's a number of players now with worrying knocks and not much time to shake them off before championship.

John Daly a huge loss to this side. Was probably Galway's best player after Shane Walsh pre Covid. Really controlled games from number 6.

Agree with all of that, that middle 8 did its best yesterday but too many of those players aren't up to the level required to challenge for the big prize. Injuries have played a huge part but Galway need to find a few new players in that middle 3rd, I think there's plenty of talent in that current u20 team as opposed to last years team but their a couple of years of making a real impact. Paul Kelly is a real talent but expected a lad who's just turned 19 this year to make an impact at this level is far fetched.

Its very clear that there's a lack of pace/athleticism in that middle 3rd, its about getting the balance right and Galway don't have it.

I thought Power did ok yesterday, he's clearly a far more competent kicker of the ball then Gleeson but there's clearly a lack of a cohesive plan in front of him when he's kicking it, Galway have to get more short kick outs away.

The Trap

Did anyone else think the Mayo goal keeper could have or should have saved all 3 goals?

Gael85

McKenna have adapted back well for Tyrone.  Can be difficult adjusting back to kicking the ball. Ciaran Kilkenny only went for 3 months in 2012 but had issues with kicking technique for a couple years after.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: The Trap on October 26, 2020, 01:45:14 PM
Did anyone else think the Mayo goal keeper could have or should have saved all 3 goals?

Should have saved at least two of them and David Clarke is normally a good shot stopper.

Tubberman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 26, 2020, 02:39:48 PM
Quote from: The Trap on October 26, 2020, 01:45:14 PM

Should have saved at least two of them and David Clarke is normally a good shot stopper.

Yeah, he's had many bad days with the kickouts, but usually solid as a rock with shot stopping.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

greatpoint

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 25, 2020, 08:00:50 PM
Agree with all you've said there Dubhaltach. Aiden O'Shea is not a full forward, period. Either have him out around the middle of the field getting on ball, especially against a team such as Tyrone who swarm around him when he was inside all through the game.

There'll be a debate about the goalie position once again, all due to one terrible kick out that ultimately cost us unfortunately. I'm a huge Clarkey man myself over Hennelly, but surely there are other options to try in next year's campaign.

It's not a given we'll be promoted at the first go either so people who reckon it's not too bad might have another thing coming to them. Hopefully it will be a swift return to Division 1, I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. It may be 'only the league' but I was delighted when we won it last year. Any type of national title shouldn't be sniffed at.

Why do you think the Aidan O'Shea FF thing gets brought up year on year with both media and fans buying into it? It's hilarious.

MayoBuck

He didn't play well yesterday, but O'Shea still took a huge amount of attention from the Tyrone defence. If he was in midfield I doubt Conroy and Coen would have got as much freedom.