Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 10:55:13 AM
Quote from: whatwillbwillb on January 06, 2021, 10:50:17 AM
Would never Question the appointment, thought it was an excellent one MR nor what Gealfast is trying to achieve as it will be an uphill struggle for any individual and their team... Theres nothing more i would want than to see the FT post of County Secretary advertised and a completely independent body access all candidates in a proper , professional and open manner, and the best individual appointed on experience and qualifications and interpersonal skills simple and as straight forward as that... And to Belfast GAA Man where did i mention Gealfast or appointments by County Secretary in what I said...

I think the likes of the the county sec job is like any job, your are in the role until you retire, I don't think there is a fixed time period, as its a fulltime post..

Are you advocating for a fixed term job? Would be very difficult to have someone leave a post to move to a job that will only be available for, lets say 5 years, don't you think?

Again I don't think the job is as comfy as you have made out, and not a post that I would care to do, even at club level

And there in lies the problem, much like whats going on with the C19, where is the real accountability thats what I'm advocating for. . As previously stated in the private sector as you know, you fail in your role ultimately you will get the road and rightly so..unless your a Civil Servant ( not having a pop btw at our CS colleagues on the site) The GAA effectively is a large corporate business now at County and Croke level and because "you knew a man who knew a man" doesn't cut it anymore. I know a lot a good lads salt of the earth etc but thick as pig shit commercially etc and thats fine each to their own.  We cant have that at such imo a pivotal role in the association in the present day at this level.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on January 06, 2021, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 10:55:13 AM
Would never Question the appointment, thought it was an excellent one MR nor what Gealfast is trying to achieve as it will be an uphill struggle for any individual and their team... Theres nothing more i would want than to see the FT post of County Secretary advertised and a completely independent body access all candidates in a proper , professional and open manner, and the best individual appointed on experience and qualifications and interpersonal skills simple and as straight forward as that... And to Belfast GAA Man where did i mention Gealfast or appointments by County Secretary in what I said...

I think the likes of the the county sec job is like any job, your are in the role until you retire, I don't think there is a fixed time period, as its a fulltime post..

Are you advocating for a fixed term job? Would be very difficult to have someone leave a post to move to a job that will only be available for, lets say 5 years, don't you think?

Again I don't think the job is as comfy as you have made out, and not a post that I would care to do, even at club level

And there in lies the problem, much like whats going on with the C19, where is the real accountability thats what I'm advocating for. . As previously stated in the private sector as you know, you fail in your role ultimately you will get the road and rightly so..unless your a Civil Servant ( not having a pop btw at our CS colleagues on the site) The GAA effectively is a large corporate business now at County and Croke level and because "you knew a man who knew a man" doesn't cut it anymore. I know a lot a good lads salt of the earth etc but thick as pig shit commercially etc and thats fine each to their own.  We cant have that at such imo a pivotal role in the association in the present day at this level.

That's why I'm asking for a job description, I'm not sure, other than what our club sec does (and very good at it also) for us, what a county secretary is meant to do extra?

Has the role of a county secretary changed to include being commercially competent, or is that a role for someone else who has those skills?

I know the county secretary has a million and one jobs to do, not a post I'd put my hand up for
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: johnnycool on January 05, 2021, 03:32:04 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 05, 2021, 11:53:42 AM
See Gaelfast chief story in Irish News today - He diD have a good CV hurling for Rossa / N Pol / Antrim and N Pol chairman but I though he was more into PR than actual brand new projects - not an easy job I suppose....

I'd have thought his role in Sport NI and the fact that's he's got a doctorate in Sports Science would have cut a bit more delf with the interview panel than his playing and chairman stints otherwise you'd be giving the job to Sambo or Woody and hoping for the best in them managing a major project like this. Having good knowledge of the internal politics of Antrim GAA through his playing/chairman/development squad coaching would have given a greater insight of how this works.

I thought they'd gone about it the right way, from the ground up in the primary schools and build from there. Create the links to the clubs for the kids and improve the coaching/fixtures in the process gives Antrim GAA a bigger pool to work with up through the years and it was always going to be a 10 plus years project before you really reap the rewards like Dublin and Limerick in the hurling.

Where do I apply?   ;D

MR2, I've been reading over previous articles and press releases on Gaelfast in recent days. Belfast was to be the focus of activity (20 Antrim clubs in greater Belfast area). Aim was apparently to increase participation in GAA especially in non traditional areas and in turn higher club members over time. However Galefast was surprisingly as far away from Belfast as possible in North Antrim clubs?
Was this part of the initial plan, was this a reason for lack of progress, was there buy in or approval for widening the scheme across Antrim before any tangible success in Belfast.
I can only assume that there was a fall-out over who was in control of the plan and its content. Was it a direct line to  Dublin for Galefast or was Antrim board in charge with its Gaelfast management committee. Were relationships fractured?
Who knows, but disappointing that a scheme launched with a fanfare in Belfast City Hall April 2018 is now rudderless.
Covid has had serious impact on Gaelfast in 2020 but almost 3 years on from launching this there is not much to report.
It now looks like a poisoned chalice for whoever bravely or perhaps foolishly sticks their head above the parapet to take it on. It has deteriorated into a shambles now really and future funding may not be forthcoming. Who would want to take on this fiasco

Belfast GAA man

Apologies if i picked you up wronG u seemed to bring county sec into a post about the change at Gaelfast

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 06, 2021, 01:10:45 PM
Apologies if i picked you up wronG u seemed to bring county sec into a post about the change at Gaelfast

No worries B GAA M

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on January 06, 2021, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 05, 2021, 03:32:04 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 05, 2021, 11:53:42 AM
See Gaelfast chief story in Irish News today - He diD have a good CV hurling for Rossa / N Pol / Antrim and N Pol chairman but I though he was more into PR than actual brand new projects - not an easy job I suppose....

I'd have thought his role in Sport NI and the fact that's he's got a doctorate in Sports Science would have cut a bit more delf with the interview panel than his playing and chairman stints otherwise you'd be giving the job to Sambo or Woody and hoping for the best in them managing a major project like this. Having good knowledge of the internal politics of Antrim GAA through his playing/chairman/development squad coaching would have given a greater insight of how this works.

I thought they'd gone about it the right way, from the ground up in the primary schools and build from there. Create the links to the clubs for the kids and improve the coaching/fixtures in the process gives Antrim GAA a bigger pool to work with up through the years and it was always going to be a 10 plus years project before you really reap the rewards like Dublin and Limerick in the hurling.

Where do I apply?   ;D

MR2, I've been reading over previous articles and press releases on Gaelfast in recent days. Belfast was to be the focus of activity (20 Antrim clubs in greater Belfast area). Aim was apparently to increase participation in GAA especially in non traditional areas and in turn higher club members over time. However Galefast was surprisingly as far away from Belfast as possible in North Antrim clubs?
Was this part of the initial plan, was this a reason for lack of progress, was there buy in or approval for widening the scheme across Antrim before any tangible success in Belfast.
I can only assume that there was a fall-out over who was in control of the plan and its content. Was it a direct line to  Dublin for Galefast or was Antrim board in charge with its Gaelfast management committee. Were relationships fractured?
Who knows, but disappointing that a scheme launched with a fanfare in Belfast City Hall April 2018 is now rudderless.
Covid has had serious impact on Gaelfast in 2020 but almost 3 years on from launching this there is not much to report.
It now looks like a poisoned chalice for whoever bravely or perhaps foolishly sticks their head above the parapet to take it on. It has deteriorated into a shambles now really and future funding may not be forthcoming. Who would want to take on this fiasco

So it failed because it dipped its toe into North Antrim..?

Galefast I'd assume was run by Paul and his team of coaches.. Again I'd assume that there was a manager of sorts from Croke Park looking in and monitoring the progress, completely correct when funding is approved.

As for the Antrim board, which has its own areas to look after, as in county teams all levels the clubs up and down the country, the fixtures, discipline CCC, the championships,  building Casement and the refereeing of our games, I'd assume they have plenty on their plate to work with.

I'm doing a lot of assuming, as like most, I'm not involved in that set up nor do I any real knowledge on it other than the what's put out on media platforms.

We've nearly had a year of inactivity, the focus of this project was looking at primary level kids, from the ground up. What sort of goals were you looking to see improved over that period? Or better, what would be your approach to the funding, this is a genuine question btw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BigBallWeeBall

MR2,  serious points.
All I have seen is social media posts about training in schools and similar actions.
No stats to measure progress or indeed no plan produced for Gaels to support.
N Antrim - not in Gaelfast remit IMO.
South Antrim may have got annoyed with this
Funding needs are critical and therefore more of a Croke Pk presence may be required

Milltown Row2

All I have seen is social media posts about training in schools and similar actions.  This was part of the plan
No stats to measure progress or indeed no plan produced for Gaels to support. I'm sure when Gaelfast was set up the plan was set out to those involved
N Antrim - not in Gaelfast remit IMO. North Antrim not involved, I'll give you that
South Antrim may have got annoyed with this. This is the same point as above, understandable but S/W committee not involved with Galefast anyways
Funding needs are critical and therefore more of a Croke Pk presence may be required. Croke Park are involved from day one and a line manager reviews this I assume

If you know different I'd be interested in hearing

So back to my point, What sort of goals were you looking to see improved over that period? Or better, what would be your approach to the funding

NAG1

Quote from: bannside on January 06, 2021, 02:58:11 PM
The future participation of funding at national level by Croke Pk is crucial to this project. In whos best interest is it exactly to have this discussion in an open forum, warts and all, where it has been deemed to fail, or otherwise. Antrim Gaels shouldnt be discussing this here. If there are problems in the mix, lets try to solve them, not openly draw attention for the whole country to see. Unless you have an alterior agenda that is.

Although I know Ive been as guilty as anyone in the past there is simply too much to lose by by having this chat on here. Pm one another if you really want to discuss, though might be an idea to find out exactly why Dr D left the position first.

Agreed, also be good if could deal in the facts and leave the hearsay elsewhere.

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 02:29:35 PM

All I have seen is social media posts about training in schools and similar actions.  This was part of the plan
No stats to measure progress or indeed no plan produced for Gaels to support. I'm sure when Gaelfast was set up the plan was set out to those involved
N Antrim - not in Gaelfast remit IMO. North Antrim not involved, I'll give you that
South Antrim may have got annoyed with this. This is the same point as above, understandable but S/W committee not involved with Galefast anyways
Funding needs are critical and therefore more of a Croke Pk presence may be required. Croke Park are involved from day one and a line manager reviews this I assume

So back to my point, What sort of goals were you looking to see improved over that period? Or better, what would be your approach to the funding
MR2,  you couldn't enjoy a pint with yourself.
Let's see the plan, measure the numbers  increase in members or participants and keep Croke involved and at the table to oversee and maintain funding
After Bannsides post I will let this matter drop as I've no hidden agenda. Like all Antrim Gaels just seeking the best for our county

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on January 06, 2021, 04:36:18 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 02:29:35 PM

MR2,  you couldn't enjoy a pint with yourself.
Let's see the plan, measure the numbers  increase in members or participants and keep Croke involved and at the table to oversee and maintain funding
After Bannsides post I will let this matter drop as I've no hidden agenda. Like all Antrim Gaels just seeking the best for our county

That's ok, I never brought the topic up, I was happy with the direction it was going

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: NAG1 on January 06, 2021, 03:05:32 PM
The future participation of funding at national level by Croke Pk is crucial to this project. In whos best interest is it exactly to have this discussion in an open forum, warts and all, where it has been deemed to fail, or otherwise. Antrim Gaels shouldnt be discussing this here. If there are problems in the mix, lets try to solve them, not openly draw attention for the whole country to see. Unless you have an alterior agenda that is.

Although I know Ive been as guilty as anyone in the past there is simply too much to lose by by having this chat on here. Pm one another if you really want to discuss, though might be an idea to find out exactly why Dr D left the position first.

Agreed, also be good if could deal in the facts and leave the hearsay elsewhere.
I think I'll ignore the gagging order bannside! this is a discussion baord and has its own moderator. So your thinking is lets stay quiet and hope Gaelfast gets sorted out by the people who have been running it for the last 2/3 years
Censorship is wrong and it is all committed Gaels on this board - lets' not blow Gaelfast opportunity because We are afraid to speak up

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 06, 2021, 08:31:16 PM

I think I'll ignore the gagging order bannside! this is a discussion baord and has its own moderator. So your thinking is lets stay quiet and hope Gaelfast gets sorted out by the people who have been running it for the last 2/3 years
Censorship is wrong and it is all committed Gaels on this board - lets' not blow Gaelfast opportunity because We are afraid to speak up

Couple questions then as you know more than me on this..

When did Gaelfast start it's recruitment for its coaches?

Out of the period that's it's up and running, how long have they been furloughed?

Who do they report to quarterly in Belfast?

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 06, 2021, 09:42:43 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on January 06, 2021, 08:31:16 PM

Couple questions then as you know more than me on this..

When did Gaelfast start it's recruitment for its coaches?

Out of the period that's it's up and running, how long have they been furloughed?

Who do they report to quarterly in Belfast?
Gaelfast reports jointly to a management committee which is made up by antrim GAA and croke park I believe monthly
Recruited staff 2 and half years ago and not working for 6/7 months

bannside

Im not pro board or anti board on this Belfastgaaman and Ive no doubt you are as committed or as passionate about Antrim succeeding as all on here.

We all have valid grievances and run ins at different times with officialdom - manys a time I sat on top of that list of persona non grata - but all Im saying is that there cannot be any merit debating the matter in this particular forum at this time. What might be the obvious outcome if the mud starts to sling. How would you see this pan out? What are you really hoping to achieve?

If and when a suitable replacement for PD is found, what recomendations would you like to see implemented or done differently. How can a negative situation be turned into a positive one?