Leave her be
53 (54.6%)

Total Members Voted: 97

mrdeeds

Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2015, 11:17:48 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 29, 2015, 11:08:38 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2015, 11:00:35 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 29, 2015, 10:55:50 PM
Having read this forum since page 1. Just watching Sunday Game and McStay said GAA legislators need to do something to stop this tactic. I'm sorry but you cannot stop a manager using whatever tactics he wants or innovation. Is it going to be forwards stay in their half and hoof it in? What other sport would dictate rigid formations and style of play? Madness.

Offside?

Doesn't dictate a formation or how many players you can put in a half of field. Every sport the manager has to use innovation. Gaelic football is only at its infancy regards tactics so lets see how it develops. Also why should weaker teams have their bellys tickled by going for it and ultimately be bet out the gate.

It puts restrictions on the formations and tactics you can play. There hasn't even been a proposal yet on how to limit the ultra-defensive football we're seeing, but something is needed. Winning in a game of this type may be seen as justifiable in the short term, but if it damages the support and playing numbers in the longer term, it needs to be legislated against.

But why should we stop ultra defensive football? It's up to managers and players for that. Are you going to tell a talented wing half forward sorry you cannot pass the half way line a play one twos. Stay where you are and let the half back hoof it in to full forward. As for the paying punter you're paying in to support your county, not be entertained. If that's all you want go to the cinema. I'm not saying I agree with defensive football but legislators have no right to dictate to managers. Some of whom haven't kicked a ball in twenty to thirty years.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Jinxy on March 29, 2015, 11:27:13 PM
Good to see Kevin McStay had the guts to firmly point the finger of blame in a northerly direction.

What an irrelevant little post.

It's hard to believe that someone actually sat down, composed that, keyed it in & posted it.

The fact that it comes from Kerry only makes things worse.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

dublin7

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 29, 2015, 11:33:29 PM
Having read this forum since page 1. Just watching Sunday Game and McStay said GAA legislators need to do something to stop this tactic. I'm sorry but you cannot stop a manager using whatever tactics he wants or innovation. Is it going to be forwards stay in their half and hoof it in? What other sport would dictate rigid formations and style of play? Madness.

Offside?

Doesn't dictate a formation or how many players you can put in a half of field. Every sport the manager has to use innovation. Gaelic football is only at its infancy regards tactics so lets see how it develops. Also why should weaker teams have their bellys tickled by going for it and ultimately be bet out the gate.

It puts restrictions on the formations and tactics you can play. There hasn't even been a proposal yet on how to limit the ultra-defensive football we're seeing, but something is needed. Winning in a game of this type may be seen as justifiable in the short term, but if it damages the support and playing numbers in the longer term, it needs to be legislated against.

But why should we stop ultra defensive football? It's up to managers and players for that. Are you going to tell a talented wing half forward sorry you cannot pass the half way line a play one twos. Stay where you are and let the half back hoof it in to full forward. As for the paying punter you're paying in to support your county, not be entertained. If that's all you want go to the cinema. I'm not saying I agree with defensive football but legislators have no right to dictate to managers. Some of whom haven't kicked a ball in twenty to thirty years.

Reading your post I can only assume you are an idiot and trying to wind up people & generate responses. People go to matches in every sport to see their team win, but they want to enjoy the game as well. If you can honestly say you enjoy watching rubbish like last Saturday in Croke park, then I feel sorry for you. Legislators in all sports try to introduce rules to increase the entertainment for the public. That's what draws more fans & generates more income for the sport. If Gaelic football continues down this road of ultra defensive football then the only fans at the games will be the die hard supporters. The average fan will follow another sport he/she can actually enjoy watching

Hound

Good to see Kevin McStay had the guts to firmly point the finger of blame in a northerly direction.
Half-hearted I thought. He didnt call out the Derry manager's blatant lie about "that's what happens when two teams play equally defensive"
You'd have to be an idiot to think Dublin played defensively yesterday, but there's one or two Derry lads on the match thread who can congratulate themselves on that achievement.

Derry can play whatever way they like given the lack of talent they have player and manager wise, but blaming the opposition just shows them up for what they are. 4 points in 70 minutes is laughably pathetic.

mrdeeds

Quote from: dublin7 on March 29, 2015, 11:44:21 PM

Offside?

Reading your post I can only assume you are an idiot and trying to wind up people & generate responses. People go to matches in every sport to see their team win, but they want to enjoy the game as well. If you can honestly say you enjoy watching rubbish like last Saturday in Croke park, then I feel sorry for you. Legislators in all sports try to introduce rules to increase the entertainment for the public. That's what draws more fans & generates more income for the sport. If Gaelic football continues down this road of ultra defensive football then the only fans at the games will be the die hard supporters. The average fan will follow another sport he/she can actually enjoy watching

As I said I don't enjoy it. Watched my own county playing it for few years. This year trying to expand. What I'm against is managers being dictated how they should set up their teams. If you didn't enjoy the tactical innovations from last few years fair enough but it was a new and interesting element. And no way should fans expect to be entertained. The GAA should not say for example Derry if you play Kerry you cannot bring any forwards back into your own half. The emphasis should be with Kerry to go ok we'll do this then.

Jinxy

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 29, 2015, 11:40:11 PM

What an irrelevant little post.

It's hard to believe that someone actually sat down, composed that, keyed it in & posted it.

The fact that it comes from Kerry only makes things worse.

I didn't sit down.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Throw ball

Is Gaelic football really in such bad a state as continues to be stated. From a personal point of view I watched every single Armagh game in the league and championship last year. There were plenty of games were Armagh were poor but for me the league game against Meath was a great game. In the championship the first Monaghan game was exciting, the Roscommon game was very good too and the Donegal match was fascinating for different reasons. I enjoyed following my county. After some of the early championship dead rubbers were over there were some very good games in the championship. Monaghan v Kildare and Mayo v Kerry spring immediately to mind. We cannot have classics every week.

I remember in 2013 Armagh were slated because they tried to go out and play open attacking football. Cavan beat them in Breffni. Now they will probably be slated because they are an Ulster team that play with a defensive system. You cannot have it both ways. Were Dublin's exhibition matches in the Leinster championship better to watch than Monaghan's matches to win Ulster. Personally I do not think so. Rules to reduce teams ability to set up a particulate template would have to be very careful that they do not reduce the number of teams that can challenge. That would be a greater treat to football in the long term.

More than reducing defensive football the aim should be to cut out cynical play. For me that would include letting linesmen signal foul play to referees during play. I also feel that instead of the black card leading to a player being replaced it should lead to a sin bin. As it stands the rule favours the stronger teams who can risk a black card as they can bring on a player of equal standard. I feel a trick was missed when the bringing the ball forward 30m for arguing was not passed. Finally, I think a player making a clean catch from a kick out should be given a second or two after he catches the ball before he can be tackled.

mrdeeds

Nigel White

Agree with throwball, plus if there is any kore than one person tackling a player with the ball he should get a free. This idea of two lads round tge player with the ball,he cant move or get rid then he gets blown up for overcarrying is a joke

thewobbler

Okay I'm now getting sick of people asking for a one-man tackle rule.

Take a step back and think this one out. Then tell me how it would be any different to the current rule.

1. You can't draw imaginary 5m arcs around players in a free flowing game, as it's impossible for a referee to monitor both the arc and the tackle.

2. Even if you convince yourself that this is possible, you will need an active/inactive sub clause to ensure this rule doesn't prevent advantages. At which point, our coaches will exploit and our referees will suffer.

3. If the attacker carries the ball into a second opponent while the first is still in hot pursuit, is that a foul against the defence?

4. If the attacker carries the ball into two opponents, is that a foul against the defence?

The basic point I'm trying to make is that if two men approach an attacker and take it in turns to tackle him, then surely there is no adjustment to the rules that would stop them doing this? Yet this is the exact method most teams use to close down and strip opponents. It just happens to quickly that it looks like the tackles are happenings simultaneously.

theticklemister

Thinking that passing back when in the opposing defence is quite good; but would this lead to more defenders in the defensive half forcing (pushing men) back over the half-way line?

OakleafCounty

Surely if the county game was reduced to 13 a side there would be less scope for blanket defence and would free up space for a more skillful kicking game? For me it's always been a no brainer but I rarely hear people mention it. Fitness levels today are too high for a 15 a side county game.

I also think that it's no coincidence that the game is become too tactical since five subs replaced the previous three.

nrico2006

Offside?

Well said.  I don't see any calls for rule changes in soccer when teams camp out in their penalty area - it is a tactic and its up to the opposition to figure out a way to beat it.  The game is constantly evolving, and its up to the management to figure out strategies to counter different styles of play.  The blanket defense takes away one on one defending, but anybody it still takes a lot of work to put a tight and effective blanket defence in place while retaining enough potency up front to win a game.  It reminds when when I play squash against one particular individual and I constantly win point after point with a drop shot, he is forever huffing and yapping about it and basically thinks its rational to argue that I shouldn't be allowed to hit that shot as he can never get it therefore its not fair - seriously?!?

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 29, 2015, 04:49:30 PM
Would Kerry have played negative if they were up against anybody else but Donegal, they played open enough against mayo in 2 classics in the semi.

I don't see how someone can defend Kerry from playing super defensive against a defensive team?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dublin7

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 30, 2015, 09:07:29 AM

Offside?

Well said.  I don't see any calls for rule changes in soccer when teams camp out in their penalty area - it is a tactic and its up to the opposition to figure out a way to beat it.  The game is constantly evolving, and its up to the management to figure out strategies to counter different styles of play.  The blanket defense takes away one on one defending, but anybody it still takes a lot of work to put a tight and effective blanket defence in place while retaining enough potency up front to win a game.  It reminds when when I play squash against one particular individual and I constantly win point after point with a drop shot, he is forever huffing and yapping about it and basically thinks its rational to argue that I shouldn't be allowed to hit that shot as he can never get it therefore its not fair - seriously?!?

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 29, 2015, 04:49:30 PM
Would Kerry have played negative if they were up against anybody else but Donegal, they played open enough against mayo in 2 classics in the semi.

I don't see how someone can defend Kerry from playing super defensive against a defensive team?

That's the best way to beat the mass defences.  By playing attacking football you are only playing into the defensive teams hands. By going the defensive in the same way it becomes like against like, with the general rule being the team with the best forwards win. That's exactly how the All Ireland went.  In terms of the spectators, these types of games are putrid and terrible to watch & last years all ireland was the worst final I can remember.  If Kerry had played their traditional attacking football & lost the final they would have been hammered for playing into Donegal's hands. 

screenexile

Lads it needs a rule change. You can't blame teams for trying to find means of winning football matches by whatever means necessary it's human nature and if your team is not blessed with better footballers then you're going to find a way to negate that by playing defensively and counter attacking.

We need a few rule changes:

1. Sin Bin - Black Card is a silly measure and players shouldn't be subbed and docking a player will open things up a bit more in that case

2. Clean catches from kickouts between the 2 45s are marks and a player can decide to play on or have a free kick... wills top scrums at midfield and reward my favourite skill of the game which is struggling!!

3. No more than 2 men tackling a player - at least gives the attacking player a chance

4. Every team must have 4 players in the opposition half at all times

There are 4 easily definable and refereed rules that could be implemented at any time without much fuss. The only fuss they could possibly cause is the Mickey Harte "I don't like change" brigade. Most right thinking people will understand what's needed to protect the game.

Also hurling should be left alone as it's fine!