NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyot501

At least this time Cooper had a reason to hit the deck unlike croke park a couple of years ago when he tried to get McManus sent off by pretending he got a slap. Ref dealt with it fine with the 2 yellows

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2019, 08:49:40 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 28, 2019, 08:29:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2019, 05:57:04 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 28, 2019, 03:20:47 PM
Quote from: TheClubman on January 28, 2019, 03:02:41 PM
You know with all the talk of rules the highlights and games I saw over the weekend confirmend what I've always thought. If we can't enforce the rules about the basics of the game then we've no business tinkering with other rules. Reape's goal for Mayo - took at least a dozen steps before playing the ball, turning and shooting. None of the commentators on Eir said a word during the game or during the analysis. Neither did Gooch or Mr Rules himself on RTE last night. Everyone just accepts it now.

The handpass is another one. I would say that 30-40% (and perhaps more) of handpasses are fouls. Lads are just throwing the ball.

Proper enforcement of these two rules would change the game for the better in my view.

agree on both counts. I took a bit of stick on my gaa whatsapp group on saturday night about this. I called it straight away but then I got all the "anti Mayo" accusations. It was blatent and obvious and I couldn't believe that there was no comment (for the record i made it 10 steps :-)) Monaghan's 2nd goal yesterday was dodgy as well but again not a word.
Is there something dodgy about Shane Carey's goal? If there is, it's very marginal. The best angle is from behind the goal
https://t.co/z1tvoeISjM
I was down that end and it seemed like a bit of a push rather than a palm. No worse than the push off that Scully gave for his goal and it would have been harsh to disallow either or both
In real time it's so marginal, it's not worth the bother of a remark, not that I'm a fan of the slapped/palm push goal.
Cooper, before he flattened Carey (penalty?), had a birds eye view and didn't complain.
The Dubs couldn't complain about a palmed goal as they score so many of them themselves

dublin7

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 29, 2019, 08:01:48 AM
You know with all the talk of rules the highlights and games I saw over the weekend confirmend what I've always thought. If we can't enforce the rules about the basics of the game then we've no business tinkering with other rules. Reape's goal for Mayo - took at least a dozen steps before playing the ball, turning and shooting. None of the commentators on Eir said a word during the game or during the analysis. Neither did Gooch or Mr Rules himself on RTE last night. Everyone just accepts it now.

The handpass is another one. I would say that 30-40% (and perhaps more) of handpasses are fouls. Lads are just throwing the ball.

Proper enforcement of these two rules would change the game for the better in my view.

agree on both counts. I took a bit of stick on my gaa whatsapp group on saturday night about this. I called it straight away but then I got all the "anti Mayo" accusations. It was blatent and obvious and I couldn't believe that there was no comment (for the record i made it 10 steps :-)) Monaghan's 2nd goal yesterday was dodgy as well but again not a word.
Is there something dodgy about Shane Carey's goal? If there is, it's very marginal. The best angle is from behind the goal
I was down that end and it seemed like a bit of a push rather than a palm. No worse than the push off that Scully gave for his goal and it would have been harsh to disallow either or both
In real time it's so marginal, it's not worth the bother of a remark, not that I'm a fan of the slapped/palm push goal.
Cooper, before he flattened Carey (penalty?), had a birds eye view and didn't complain.
The Dubs couldn't complain about a palmed goal as they score so many of them themselves

Jim Gavin's quotes about the new rules and this year's league were interesting and he clearly has no interest in incorporating the new rules into training as in his words sure they only there for 6 more games, what's the point.

Should make the league interesting this year for everyone else as it looks as though Gavin is only focusing on championship this year

Keyser soze

Quote from: dublin7 on January 29, 2019, 08:59:38 AM

Its only people on here who think the league is a better competition than the championship  ;)

Jim Gavin's quotes about the new rules and this year's league were interesting and he clearly has no interest in incorporating the new rules into training as in his words sure they only there for 6 more games, what's the point.

Should make the league interesting this year for everyone else as it looks as though Gavin is only focusing on championship this year

seafoid

You would too if you had the once in a century chance to knock Kerry off their f**king perch (Copyright A Ferguson)
This year is massive in the history of Gaelic football
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2019, 10:07:09 AM

You would too if you had the once in a century chance to knock Kerry off their f**king perch (Copyright A Ferguson)

Ferguson was talking about surpassing Liverpool's 18 league titles. For Dublin to do likewise they would need to win another 10 All Ireland's and hope Kerry win none.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2019, 11:17:45 AM

Ferguson was talking about surpassing Liverpool's 18 league titles. For Dublin to do likewise they would need to win another 10 All Ireland's and hope Kerry win none.
That doesn't seem to be how they see it in Kerry

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/fault-lines-appear-for-kerry-in-a-kingdom-under-pressure-1.3769567

Dublin's transformation from 1970s nostalgia act to unprecedented juggernaut has forced Kerry football people – all Kerry people, in other words – to think differently about themselves. The old certainties have been stripped away with bewildering haste.If 2014's All-Ireland victory was one of the great Kerry guerrilla raids – it's very rare that you see a championship winning side materialising in such a short space of time – then the subsequent years were defined by the public anxiety over what Kerry could and should do about Dublin. Last summer, that nervousness was acute.
In Kerry, the pressure on managers to win has always been relentless and, at times, merciless. But not since the Mick O'Dwyer era has any Kerry manager been confronted with such an onslaught of excellence from Dublin. For three decades, the general rule was that if Kerry didn't win it, then some other county would. The joy was diffuse and, therefore, disappointment in Kerry was more palatable.
In the past four years, that has changed. Dublin aren't just building something in their dominance: they are also knocking down truths that were self-evident. Kerry's near-miss with the mythical five-in-a-row, denied by Séamus Darby's late All-Ireland final goal for Offaly in 1982, has always been a tolerable and even romantic failure because, until this year, only Kerry could come that close.
That's the dilemma facing Kerry as the new season begins. They are second favourites for the All-Ireland, even if it is a distant second right now. They feel morally obliged to uphold the tradition of expansive, kick-passing, attacking football. But the need to win – the need to beat Dublin in a championship match –has become paramount. The five-in-a-row song is coming back to haunt them. Again.
Either way, 2019 will be a fault line year for Kerry football.

dublin7

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2019, 11:17:45 AM

Seafoid's spot on. It's all about the 5 in a row. A number of the senior players will probably retire at the end of this season. Flynn, Brogan, O'Gara etc. It's not about adding another All Ireland to the total won, it's all about doing the 5 in a row and making history even though they won't/can't admit that in public. They're is enough bitterness out there already towards the team without adding unnecessary fuel to the fire.

Dublin didn't even send a representative to the official launch of the league this year.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: dublin7 on January 29, 2019, 11:44:12 AM
Seafoid's spot on. It's all about the 5 in a row. A number of the senior players will probably retire at the end of this season. Flynn, Brogan, O'Gara etc. It's not about adding another All Ireland to the total won, it's all about doing the 5 in a row and making history even though they won't/can't admit that in public. They're is enough bitterness out there already towards the team without adding unnecessary fuel to the fire.

Dublin didn't even send a representative to the official launch of the league this year.

No he's not spot on.  "Massive" year in the history of the GAA is getting caught up in the hype. Winning 5 in a row is just doing something that Kerry didn't. A bit of bragging rights. They will remain a good number of All Ireland titles off Kerry.

Flynn,Brogan great players at their peak though already fazed out and replaced in the starting team, are you serious by throwing O'Gara in there? Life without Cluxton; McMahon,O’Sullivan,McCarthy was seen last Sunday and they all have big boots to fill once gone.

From the Bunker

Dublin had 21 All Ireland titles to Kerry's 36 pre-2011. That count now is 28 to 37! Dublin are quickly eating away at that lead!

Rossfan

Should All Irelands from the pre all County selection days be counted at all?
It was Club teams only for the first 20 or so years.
Bray won one as Dublin Champions.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2019, 12:21:52 PM

No he's not spot on.  "Massive" year in the history of the GAA is getting caught up in the hype. Winning 5 in a row is just doing something that Kerry didn't. A bit of bragging rights. They will remain a good number of All Ireland titles off Kerry.

Flynn,Brogan great players at their peak though already fazed out and replaced in the starting team, are you serious by throwing O'Gara in there? Life without Cluxton; McMahon,O'Sullivan,McCarthy was seen last Sunday and they all have big boots to fill once gone.
I don't agree, Cunny.
GAA is not the same as English soccer.

5 in a row has never been done in either sport. There have been great teams but greatness has until now been confined to 4 in a row
If the Dubs did it everything would be different down in Kerry 

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on January 29, 2019, 12:45:08 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 29, 2019, 12:21:52 PM

Flynn,Brogan great players at their peak though already fazed out and replaced in the starting team, are you serious by throwing O'Gara in there? Life without Cluxton; McMahon,O'Sullivan,McCarthy was seen last Sunday and they all have big boots to fill once gone.
I don't agree, Cunny.
GAA is not the same as English soccer.

5 in a row has never been done in either sport. There have been great teams but greatness has until now been confined to 4 in a row
If the Dubs did it everything would be different down in Kerry

Yet you used a quote from a former English football manager.
Great teams retains titles. Different era so can't compare and it doesn't look like Dublin this year have a challenger as good or focused as Offaly was in 1982.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 29, 2019, 12:35:44 PM
Dublin had 21 All Ireland titles to Kerry's 36 pre-2011. That count now is 28 to 37! Dublin are quickly eating away at that lead!

Hope they overtake them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Couldn't make the game but did Galway make use of the mark at all against Cavan?