China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

This talk of a circuit breaker is still more nonsense from the Government.

Curb movement for what, a week? (And that in itself will hardly work because as previous posts, it punishes some, irrelevant completely to others). The track and trace app has been a complete failure, the fact we haven't heard about it from the opening fanfare says it all.

The only way out of it, is what they are doing in East Asia. Complete mass testing for the population. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They have no interest in doing it in the West and I still struggle to understand why. It's much more simple than this talk of closing down airports, stopping GAA, schools etc. At least if you undergo mass testing, you can actually start to undergo a relatively accurate track and trace programme.

imtommygunn

Yeah agreed. You go into complete lockdown for a number of weeks you won't eradicate it and then you will move out of lockdown and it will come back again and you will go into complete lockdown - repeat at infinitum.

There needs to be a change of thinking and something like that is it. Currently there doesn't seem to be a plan for how to get out of anything other than draconian measures.

There is personal responsibility to be taken but there are also serious questions on governments on this island and on the rest of the UK. You have people imposing lockdowns and then not adhering to them. That is no example to set to anyone.

Really IMO another complete lockdown with absolutely no plan of what to do at the end of it is a huge mistake.If zero covid were achievable here it would be a great plan but the question is is it and are the track and trace options and mass testing a better option. If they are and we go to complete lockdown until the tests are in place then you would have to say fair enough but currently if we go to full lockdown then it is just with a view of lowering things for a few weeks and then it will repeat.

Cunny Funt

The speculation on the move to Level 5 is a bit odd when you consider only on Thursday NPHET said the situation did not support a nationwide move to Level 3. Maybe a bit of clarity will brought forward at this evenings press conference.

sid waddell

A functioning test and trace system and a functioning national public health service with loads of capacity would be great

But when you put your faith in right wing politics and market ideology over many decades, you won't get those things, you'll get a cut in capital gains tax though

Chickens coming home to roost

So that means there's little option but to do what Neffit propose

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 05, 2020, 07:16:50 AM
I do think the Gaa pretty much needs stopped. The gatherings happening of the back of it are causing big issues. That's not anti Gaa like some people, perversely, on a Gaa forum seem to be. It's a community etc thing where people get carried away, you can't blame them, but it's just leading to too many gatherings outside the sport. It is causing cases and probably massive knock on effects too.

The GAA has not attempted to provide good example, every website, Facebook page and twitter feed is full of team pictures with no distance whatsoever, people hugging each other and similar carry on. The view seems to be that for these particular things that there is no need to worry about Covid, but the problem is that across society people are exempting what they want to do from the rules. All of this was predictable but little was done to head it off, the GAA singularly failed here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Yeah in reality you can't really argue with any of that.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 05, 2020, 10:49:43 AM
The speculation on the move to Level 5 is a bit odd when you consider only on Thursday NPHET said the situation did not support a nationwide move to Level 3. Maybe a bit of clarity will brought forward at this evenings press conference.

I also believe some of involved in this pandemic are using it to boost their profile for later on. I would hope not, but there is something telling me these names that are involved and involved very publicly are doing so for reasons, not entirely 'for the good of the people'. Just a little thing I get with some. 

Eire90

a level 5 in the republic can only work really if northern ireland does the same otherwise people will cross the border or they need to put checkpoints at  borders and tell people to go home.

imtommygunn

Michelle O'Neill has basically said this too. 100% true. It's much worse up north too in terms of per capita etc.

StephenC

Quote from: armaghniac on October 05, 2020, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 05, 2020, 07:16:50 AM
I do think the Gaa pretty much needs stopped. The gatherings happening of the back of it are causing big issues. That's not anti Gaa like some people, perversely, on a Gaa forum seem to be. It's a community etc thing where people get carried away, you can't blame them, but it's just leading to too many gatherings outside the sport. It is causing cases and probably massive knock on effects too.

The GAA has not attempted to provide good example, every website, Facebook page and twitter feed is full of team pictures with no distance whatsoever, people hugging each other and similar carry on. The view seems to be that for these particular things that there is no need to worry about Covid, but the problem is that across society people are exempting what they want to do from the rules. All of this was predictable but little was done to head it off, the GAA singularly failed here.

I would have railed at this description a few weeks ago but can now only agree. We've tried to do our bit as a club but it's come to the point where the only way to address this is to shut the whole thing down for a while.

thewobbler

I would agree that it's time to shut the whole thing down. There's no need for inter-community migrations of any sort against the current backdrop.

BUT anyone blaming the GAA for how club members choose to celebrate, needs to catch themselves on. They can't send a bunch of woolly faces across the country to disperse celebrations by any means necessary. This one is outside their remit.

The only way to prevent this would have been to kill championship for the entire season, thereby mitigating the potential for celebration.

Tell me, honestly, who would have voted for such a measure back in May/June?

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on October 05, 2020, 11:32:18 AM
I would agree that it's time to shut the whole thing down. There's no need for inter-community migrations of any sort against the current backdrop.

BUT anyone blaming the GAA for how club members choose to celebrate, needs to catch themselves on. They can't send a bunch of woolly faces across the country to disperse celebrations by any means necessary. This one is outside their remit.

The only way to prevent this would have been to kill championship for the entire season, thereby mitigating the potential for celebration.

Tell me, honestly, who would have voted for such a measure back in May/June?

The GAA can't control people outside its premises, but it can ensure that the team do not carry a cup through these crowds. I think celebrations could have been orchestrated to a greater extent, some of this is simply an unwillingness to propose a different model of doing things.
Lilke all these things, it isn't necessarily a question of stopping things, but of the detail of doing them right.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

highorlow

QuoteI also believe some of involved in this pandemic are using it to boost their profile for later on. I would hope not, but there is something telling me these names that are involved and involved very publicly are doing so for reasons, not entirely 'for the good of the people'. Just a little thing I get with some.

When is the next presidential election?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Quote from: highorlow on October 05, 2020, 12:04:05 PM
QuoteI also believe some of involved in this pandemic are using it to boost their profile for later on. I would hope not, but there is something telling me these names that are involved and involved very publicly are doing so for reasons, not entirely 'for the good of the people'. Just a little thing I get with some.

2025 as far as I know. That's if the restrictions are lifted by then!

When is the next presidential election?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.