Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

poor enough match between down's 2 best teams. kilcoo wanted it more and fought for every ball. was really disappointed with burren, they didn't get going at all but to be fair they weren't allowed to. some ferocious kilcoo tackling won a lot of turnovers. game wasn't helped by some over fussy refereeing.
cross up next for kilcoo, they'll have to improve on todays performance for that match but they'll not be worrying about that tonight. congrats kilcoo.
nil satis nisi optimum

Dubh driocht

Paddy Clarke ha ha ha, as they say in Kilcoo.Burren were tactically inept and badly short on the hunger front too. With a strong breeze in the first half, to continue to pump in high balls to Eoin Mc Cartan was playing in to the hands (literally) of the Kilcoo full-back line.For me, Kilcoo won the game in the first half as they were much sharper and were unlucky not to go in further ahead when Daragh O'Hanlon's shot came back off the upright.Gerard Mc Cartan did a good job on Laverty but the Burren half-forward line continually won good ball before coughing up possession too easily- credit to the Magpies.Burren were a bit more composed in the third quarter , with the Mc Ardles almost alone in realising that they had to do more than just turn up to regain Frank O'Hare. However, O'Hanlon, Laverty and the Devlins finished strongly and deserved to retain the title although I don't see them being as close to Cross this year. Decent crowd in Newry- good organisation bar the PA ( again, again, again) but poor game.

Gabriel

Impressed with Devlin for Kilcoo. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a run in the McKenna Cup to see how he'd do for the county.

redandblackareback

delighted for Kilcoo particularly after some of the idiotic comments (regarding class) on here the other day from p***k Tamlin, Burren didnt know how to win a tight game, Kilcoo did. Cross might not just fancy coming to Newry as much as playing in the athletic grounds, but they should win through with 4 or 5 points to spare.

BRIDGE LAD

bridgegael

better won today.  burren had only one tactic of throwing  high ball into full forward line. never even looked like working.  brilliant free kick from o hanlon to level near the end was the kick that kilcoo needed to go on and win.  dont know who got mom but i would give it to niall mcevoy.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mourne Rover

Niall McEvoy was MoM in a poor game which threw up very few new candidates for county football. Kilcoo were ordinary, except for the last five minutes, while Burren could never produce any kind of championship intensity. It was extraordinary that they hit 7-15 in the semi but their entire six forwards managed one point from play today. They really needed Kevin McKernan or Donal O'Neill to impose themselves, but that never looked like happening. Kilcoo are very well organised at the back, and tackle ferociously across the field, but would need to improve significantly if they are to trouble Cross. Paul Devlin and Darrragh O'Hanlon were mostly on the fringe of the game but showed great composure under pressure with their late frees.

mourneman2013

Ticket to the match £12,

Programme £3

Hot Dog £3

bottle of water £1

Seeing the look on Whitegoodmans face at the final whistle...................

Priceless     ;D

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: redandblackareback on October 20, 2013, 07:45:06 PM
delighted for Kilcoo particularly after some of the idiotic comments (regarding class) on here the other day from p***k Tamlin, Burren didnt know how to win a tight game, Kilcoo did. Cross might not just fancy coming to Newry as much as playing in the athletic grounds, but they should win through with 4 or 5 points to spare.

Some people really getting upset at something I said figuratively. But hey if it makes you feel big work away. Fire personal insults from behind your keyboard.
Great win for kill coo today in what was a poor standard of game. Burrens big players with big reps just didn't show up today.simple as that. Kilcoo wanted it more and it showed.

Leo

Burren, with great pedigree and massive squad, slect an unfit forward instead of a tight full-back, go out to play Kilcoo at their game instead of working to their own strenghths .... not the Burren we used to fear, too much loose play from over-hyped "county men" ... too much misplaced ego I think ...if hey could get someone to knuckle down on the latent talent that is there they would swipe any team in Ulster aside but something is missing ... fair play to Kilcoo who get every ounce out of a small pool of players
Fierce tame altogether

Confused

Everyone is saying a poor game but it was exciting from minute 1 to 64. People are saying kilcoo have no chance v cross, they said that today as well. I am not a magpie fan but Jesus they have guts and heart. They have not played well yet but r co. champs. Cross will fear them.

DaisyCutter

Couldn't Agree more Confused!
It may not have been the most pleasing game to the eye but the ferocity in tackle and shire work rate from them terriers from Kilcoo was a joy to watch!
Them boys would put their head into a challenge where ya wouldn't put a shovel! On a day like today, that's what you've got to do to win Championships and I have every belief that Kilcoo have what it takes to defeat Cross and I wish them all best in representing our County once again.

southdown

That was a mighty free kick from O'Hanlon!

supersub

Quote from: Leo on October 20, 2013, 10:13:47 PM
Burren, with great pedigree and massive squad, slect an unfit forward instead of a tight full-back, go out to play Kilcoo at their game instead of working to their own strenghths .... not the Burren we used to fear, too much loose play from over-hyped "county men" ... too much misplaced ego I think ...if hey could get someone to knuckle down on the latent talent that is there they would swipe any team in Ulster aside but something is missing ... fair play to Kilcoo who get every ounce out of a small pool of players

Maybe so, but there were 38 men named in the Burren programme panel and 34 in Kilcoo's, pretty large pool from both if you ask me.

Quote from: DaisyCutter on October 20, 2013, 10:44:38 PM
Couldn't Agree more Confused!
It may not have been the most pleasing game to the eye but the ferocity in tackle and shire work rate from them terriers from Kilcoo was a joy to watch!
Them boys would put their head into a challenge where ya wouldn't put a shovel! On a day like today, that's what you've got to do to win Championships and I have every belief that Kilcoo have what it takes to defeat Cross and I wish them all best in representing our County once again.

Kilcoo have wanted another crack Cross from the outset, that is what is driving them to where they are now and why they had more desire than Burren yesterday. However I strongly believe Cross would put either team away with something to spare. Kilcoo have the intensity no doubt and completely stopped the Burren fluidity we have seen previously, but Cross are a very direct and well oiled machine with 15-20% more in the tank than Burren who Kilcoo struggled to beat. They only scored 9 points themselves, 2 coming in injury time, hardly a huge scoring threat.

I don't, like many, understand why the high ball into McCartan was consistently used especially in the first half. The one time Burren played their running game coming off the shoulder they worked a goal chance and but for a poor attempt by Toner it could have been different. Strange tactic in the first place, and it didn't work at all.

bridgegael

wat was yer man at before the match with the mic??  ge had a tough crowd!!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"