NI's future in the United Kingdom could depend on Catholics - Robinson

Started by SuperMac, November 19, 2011, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Talking about it on Nolan show now.
"Lots of Catholics phoning" (well about 5) in to say they support the "union" and would be unionists with a small u?
Wonder will they let any Catholics who disagree on!

Think we should add a poll and see if there are any on here who would support the "union"?
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Trout on November 19, 2011, 11:26:46 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 19, 2011, 11:17:48 PM
I know Gerry let you down but don't worry it'll all come good in the end and you can be part of a unified 32 counties.

No interest in free state vermin.

Bitter, moi!  :D
Tbc....

haveaharp

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 21, 2011, 09:50:53 AM
"Lots of Catholics phoning" (well about 5) in to say they support the "union" and would be unionists with a small u?

Think we should add a poll and see if there are any on here who would support the "union"?

If there was a bit less apathy in the south for their northern brothers, there may be a few less castle catholics.

Applesisapples

A nationalist majority in the North will not mean an automatic 32 County Republic, even if a majority were to vote for it. The status quo would continue at Stormont and in all likelyhood an accommodation reached with Britain regarding a transfer of jurisdiction and funding. Unionist rights will be guaranteed much as Nationalists rights are now. A lot of Northern Nationalists actually like the way Stormont works even if the don't like the British trappings. If Unionists were being smart they would agree to parity of esteem for Nationalist flags, anthems and emblems, the down playing of the significance of the crown in the judicial system etc. They might also agree to a joint Head of State with the Queen and the President. Just a thought wouldn't it be a little bit ironic if the next King Billy were to over see the departure of the North from the UK?

Hardy

Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 10:08:18 AM

If there was a bit less apathy in the south for their northern brothers, there may be a few less castle catholics.

f**k me - it's our fault again!

Sorry about the weather we're causing.

haveaharp

Quote from: Hardy on November 21, 2011, 10:31:42 AM

f**k me - it's our faut again!

Not "again", just was your fault in the first place and that stain remains. Its a fact of life that some of the most committed unionist reside in the Dail and represent plenty of the same. I suppose its good that they represent their voters in some small way.

Applesisapples

Plenty of apathy in the North as well!!

haveaharp

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 21, 2011, 10:58:29 AM

Plenty of apathy in the North as well!!

Born from the apathy in the south to an extent.

Hardy

Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 10:39:24 AM

Not "again", just was your fault in the first place and that stain remains. Its a fact of life that some of the most committed unionist reside in the Dail and represent plenty of the same. I suppose its good that they represent their voters in some small way.

Perhaps you could explain what I did and how I can purge this "stain". I'm always willing to help.

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on November 21, 2011, 11:04:44 AM

Perhaps you could explain what I did and how I can purge this "stain". I'm always willing to help.

The stain is obviously grease from all those chips on shoulders. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haveaharp

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2011, 11:19:20 AM

The stain is obviously grease from all those chips on shoulders. ;)

There would be no call to grease them in the sloping shouldered south.

AZOffaly

Thanks lads. I often wonder why the desire to reunify this country when so many of ye seem to hate the south, and those of us who make up the Republic, so much. I wouldn't mind but every time I go north, or meet a lad from over the border, they seem to be mad keen to get on with us.

haveaharp

I dont hate the south, its just the apathetic attitude that some have towards the north. In fact some really detest the north and my own personal observation is that it gets worse the further south you go. Could be wrong but just an observation. Down round langer and yerra land they would make you think you really are from another country.

haveaharp

hardy - you know your history as well as anyone im sure. You know what i refer to and you know that sucessive irish governments did precious little to put pressure on the British government during the troubles. If it makes us northerners a little pissed off well please forgive us that and forgive us for being well entitled to being pissed off. Do you not think we have a reason to be ?

Hardy

Quote from: haveaharp on November 21, 2011, 11:58:09 AM

hardy - you know your history as well as anyone im sure. You know what i refer to and you know that sucessive irish governments did precious little to put pressure on the British government during the troubles. If it makes us northerners a little pissed off well please forgive us that and forgive us for being well entitled to being pissed off. Do you not think we have a reason to be ?

I have more to concern me than worrying about how pissed off you are.