Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

T Fearon

Great draw and brings back fond memories of an epic tie in Glasgow won 4-3 by Celtic in Glasgow in 2001.Celtic definitely have a chance,Serie A is not that hot currently,and it's not so long ago that Shamrock Rovers caused Juventus problems in Europe.

camanchero

would have liked to get man utd as I think that they could be beaten - they have a dodgy enough defence!
Juve missing Chelini for the next 2-3 months so thats a plus for Celtic as I think he is a good defender.
its bonus time for the Celts, and i am delighted to say that I was completely wrong about how they would fare in the group stages. Though a lucky win and a couple of draws might be the best they could hope for.
A bit lucky imo and set up to play an olden style def counter attacking continential type of game- but it worked well.
I expect to be going to the first leg n Glasgow.

clarshack

decent enough draw for celtic. didn't want utd even though they are beatable - due to the whole battle of britain pish.

Main Street

Juve were about the 3rd strongest team in the draw for Celtic

The Celtic team that played Milan in the 2007 CL last 16,
was
Boruc, Telfer, McManus, O'Dea, Naylor, Nakamura (Miller 106), Lennon, Sno (Beattie 97), McGeady, Jarosik (Gravesen 62), Vennegoor of Hesselink.
Pirlo was in that classy Milan team, that was the best in Europe at the time. Celtic definitely have a chance with the team they have now.

camanchero

more so if they can get Forrest back MS
Still its great to be back up where Celtic belong -among the Euro greats.
On a shoestring budget too !

illdecide

A nice win yesterday, they played well enough to get the 3pts but the diving from that bollix of Motherwell had me angry. Not once but twice and justice was done with a mighty save from Forester on the penalty, even the commentators were angry from  is diving...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

clarshack

Quote from: illdecide on January 03, 2013, 09:53:53 AM
A nice win yesterday, they played well enough to get the 3pts but the diving from that bollix of Motherwell had me angry. Not once but twice and justice was done with a mighty save from Forester on the penalty, even the commentators were angry from  is diving...

the ball wasn't even on the penalty spot either! the ref tried his best to shaft celtic.

camanchero

although being the top team seems to influence decisions their way for man united in epl, in Celtic countries, being top dog goes against you  - with the begrudgery gene seemingly influential !
Celtic are top dogs and every one (team) wants to try and bring them down  -but not in a bad (sectarian) way.
ok the ref was wrong and may have over stepped the mark - but thats reality. its not fair, but I suppose these people see a big money club pitted aganst teams who can barely keep afloat and possibly subconsciously give a bit more to the underdogs.

I suppose if it had have been rangers, I'd believe that there could be an element of bias (and or sectarianism) in it .
rangers get the same hassle for being a big team also. However they have a lot of rangers daft fans who are refs and wont be long in ensuring they get decisions in games to keep them promoted until back in spl.

Celtic's problem is that they play three defensive midfielders - sometimes two - and have no creativity from central midfield.
Celtic rely heavily on good wing play , but with no expert heading exponent centre forward it detracts from the wing play.
The counter attacking game with Samaras, Hooper, Commons and Forrest is great for europe - but in spl against 11 man defenses - they need either a creative central midfielder (or two) to unlock these defenses and turn their vast superior posession into goals or a centre forward who can score in the air like Sutton or BBJ  (if I were lennon, Id be looking to fill both these categories in January).
Celtic without Forrest are very unbalanced and lacking. Will win the spl, but lack the killer punch.

illdecide

Yeah, couldn't argue with that. I always said that too, when you look at Man U etc they always seem to get the big decisions no matter who they're playing but Celtic seem to get shafted. I couldn't believe the commentators yesterday they were going mad at the diving for the penalty and the incident shortly afterwards and demanded the player get booked, they were also astonished how easy Mulgrew was booked and there were two incidents similar in the 2nd half for Well and Celtic just got a free kick...usually the home team gets the 50/50  decisions but hey we all know the score with that.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

TEAM NEWS
Celtic's major doubts Georgios Samaras and Efe Ambrose will be given every chance to feature against Juventus.

Samaras is battling to recover from a hamstring injury.

Ambrose played for Nigeria in their Africa Cup of Nations final win over Burkina Faso on Sunday and will not be back in Glasgow until Tuesday morning.

And Juve midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah, who featured for Ghana at the tournament in South Africa, is unlikely to be involved in Glasgow.

The hosts are boosted by Emilio Izaguirre's recovery from a knee injury while winger James Forrest is fit again after a hamstring problem.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon: "It is as you were with Samaras, we will make a decision on him on Tuesday.

"Izaguirre trained today and has joined the squad and Forrest is fit and Ambrose, we expect to arrive on Tuesday morning.

"We will see what condition he is in and if he is OK, we will have him in the squad.

"We will give Georgios as much time as is needed. He has been doing pretty aggressive rehabilitation work and we are hopeful he will be OK.

"If not, then I have a very strong squad and we will have him fit for the second leg."

Juventus manager Antonio Conte: "If anyone has underestimated Celtic, it has certainly not been us. We have great respect for them.

"We have followed Celtic very closely and they were very strong against Spartak, Benfica and Barcelona and even before that in the qualifiers.

"They are a very good team. To beat Barcelona here and to go close in the Nou Camp is proof of that.

"We are going to have to be very careful."

Tbc....

camanchero

while i'm often wrong on these things, I cant see Celtic scoring.
if Juve sit back and wait for Celtic to come at them, then it will be a 0-0 borefest.
Celtic are going great in europe on the counter attacking tactic.
however even in the spl thy cant hardly break a defense down.
interesting to see the youth and young Rogic in particular do just that last weekend.
If Celtic are to really be up there and actually stand toe to toe with the Juve's and Barca ec - then tech creative players are also needed - the same thing people are giving out about the Irish team and Wes Hoolahan on.
I know Celtic have a fraction of the money these other teams have to spend, and what big name player would want to go to the freezing cold of Glasgow of a November...
Celtic are doing fantastically well - but if counter attacking or route one are not an option, then it wont work (right now at least). I'll hopefully hear the second half of the game on the radio driving home tonight! Hail Hail

Main Street

GDA's back on the Celtic thread after a long hiatus !
event jukie/gloryhunter ;D

Line up
Forster, Lustig, Wilson, Ambrose, Izaguirre, Brown, Wanyama, Mulgrew, Forrest, Commons, Hooper. Subs: Zaluska, Matthews, Miku, Nouioui, Ledley, Watt, Kayal.

Samaras didn't make it, but I see Ambrose is there. Is that not the same Ambrose who was playing for Nigeria on Sunday evening in South Africa?  They're not called 'the Eagles' for nothing.

I can't figure out that team 2 centre halfs and one full backs , probably 5 across midfield with 2 attacking midfielders in Commons and Forrest.
A big night for Forrest.

edit   I didn't do the maths , 4 at the back as usual with Lustig, Wilson, Ambrose, Izaguirre

stew

Quote from: Main Street on February 12, 2013, 07:27:10 PM
GDA's back on the Celtic thread after a long hiatus !
event jukie/gloryhunter ;D

Line up
Forster, Lustig, Wilson, Ambrose, Izaguirre, Brown, Wanyama, Mulgrew, Forrest, Commons, Hooper. Subs: Zaluska, Matthews, Miku, Nouioui, Ledley, Watt, Kayal.

Samaras didn't make it, but I see Ambrose is there. Is that not the same Ambrose who was playing for Nigeria on Sunday evening in South Africa?  They're not called 'the Eagles' for nothing.

I can't figure out that team, 2 centre halfs and one full back (Matthews is a sub), probably 5 across midfield with 2 attacking midfielders in Commons and Forrest.
A big night for Forrest.

Celtic to score twice, a 2-1 win, they get a dubious penalty and Juve have a man sent off in the waning minutes.....................you heard it here first. :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.