Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuan12

Lotto, it's easy to criticise without putting up a viable alternative, Conor Laverty may not be every ones cup of tea, but he is a proven winner, he has worked hard to get where he is today coaching wise, point taken about how much Down has conceded but the defensive stats will get better.

Mourne Red

I wouldn't be Lavertys biggest fan but chatted to young fellas that were on the u20s squads he was in charge off and they said his trainings and prep was best they've had on all down underage squads they've been apart off.

Needs a few years before judgement and thewobbler said he'll be sussing out who can walk the walk this year and will have his team next year. Some good u20s to come onboard too so think lotto and R&B need to give him time.

snoopdog

CL was a kick of the ball away from today's U20 final. Still gutting to not be on the road to Breffni today. But the management team needs at least 5 years. Chopping and changing and no direction got us to where we are. We are turning a corner and it will take time. Even S AND C  we are a good bit off. Lot of good talent. I'm hoping the same guys stay over the U20s also for another year or so. The Minors however need a similar approach. There is no way we are that bad at U17.

Ed Hardy

Any word on the team for this evenings game?

Johnnysboys

A pleasing crowd this evening in Newry. Football was poor at times and referee made some strange calls - but overall an 11 point win is something to be positive about. Tipperary beaten today so might take the shine off them next weekend. Get a result there and it's all to play for on last day v Meath.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Johnnysboys on May 13, 2023, 10:54:21 PM
A pleasing crowd this evening in Newry. Football was poor at times and referee made some strange calls - but overall an 11 point win is something to be positive about. Tipperary beaten today so might take the shine off them next weekend. Get a result there and it's all to play for on last day v Meath.

Seemed to be a slight lack of intensity in the first half, Havern really stepped up to keep the scoreboard moving.

Two excellent goals, one a brilliant team move and Murdock's a brilliant solo effort. So there were glimpses of quality, but that will need to improve with the next games.
Murdock and Magill were both very good along with Havern.
As for the ref, if it had been a close game things could have escalated after some of them baffling decisions. Called back several good advantages to give frees, then tried to play advantages where there clearly was none. Done his best to be the centre of attention throughout.

Lotto

I just cannot stand the methods that our current manager uses, and more importantly has used in the past to win at all levels he has coached. He himself was entirely responsible for developing a diving culture in his club 20 odd years ago, falling at the slightest touch to earn cheap frees. Now every tackle on a Kilcoo player whether they are playing for Down or Kilcoo ends up with them holding their head, now men tell me that is just not right. There is a manly way to play football but his tactics are just cheap both on the pitch and as we have seen this year, along the line. He may be well got by the players but they'll see his true colours when he's playing against them later in the Summer. What will be the real test will be with next year's U.20's, he's had plenty to work with over the last two years but next year will be a real challenge so lets see how he does with them.

Nanderson

Quote from: Lotto on May 14, 2023, 12:52:31 PM
I just cannot stand the methods that our current manager uses, and more importantly has used in the past to win at all levels he has coached. He himself was entirely responsible for developing a diving culture in his club 20 odd years ago, falling at the slightest touch to earn cheap frees. Now every tackle on a Kilcoo player whether they are playing for Down or Kilcoo ends up with them holding their head, now men tell me that is just not right. There is a manly way to play football but his tactics are just cheap both on the pitch and as we have seen this year, along the line. He may be well got by the players but they'll see his true colours when he's playing against them later in the Summer. What will be the real test will be with next year's U.20's, he's had plenty to work with over the last two years but next year will be a real challenge so lets see how he does with them.
Why are you singling out Down and Kilcoo? I guarantee you every club and county in Ireland have players that do this. Going down after high tackles when in all honesty it doesn't even hurt just because you know its an easy free and yellow card for your opponent. You need to wise up

Lotto

Quote from: Nanderson on May 14, 2023, 01:08:49 PM
Quote from: Lotto on May 14, 2023, 12:52:31 PM
Why are you singling out Down and Kilcoo? I guarantee you every club and county in Ireland have players that do this. Going down after high tackles when in all honesty it doesn't even hurt just because you know its an easy free and yellow card for your opponent. You need to wise up

Singling it out because Laverty brought that culture of diving into his club and now his county. Nanderson, I didn't say going down after high tackles, I said going down after every tackle holding their heads. It is absolutely pathetic to watch but apparently you think it is ok to do. Who needs to wise up?

messy gael

So After EVERY tackle our lads hold their heads ?? Do you think our management team allow time at training to go over this practice ??

What way do you coach your teams Lotto ???

Nanderson

Quote from: messy gael on May 14, 2023, 02:03:01 PM
So After EVERY tackle our lads hold their heads ?? Do you think our management team allow time at training to go over this practice ??

Just seen costello go down holding his head after being pulled down. Can't believe Conor Laverty has found time to go down and coach Dublin. Either that or Costello must have been watching Kilcoo on downgaa.tv

messy gael

Quote from: Nanderson on May 14, 2023, 02:20:37 PM

Just seen costello go down holding his head after being pulled down. Can't believe Conor Laverty has found time to go down and coach Dublin. Either that or Costello must have been watching Kilcoo on downgaa.tv

Or maybe he went to Trinity College

Lotto

There is a direct instruction to players to stay down and hold the head after a heavy tackle, to make the most of the situation and all coming from Laverty. I know this for a fact.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Lotto on May 14, 2023, 03:09:41 PM

There is a direct instruction to players to stay down and hold the head after a heavy tackle, to make the most of the situation and all coming from Laverty. I know this for a fact.

Lotto who's your club? If you think you're saints I doubt it

messy gael

He Coaches plenty does our Lotto... Quite vocal on all fronts he is