Orlando/Miami

Started by Ed Hardy, September 05, 2012, 08:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Hardy

Heading there in October, anybody know of good places to stay in either place? not sure whether to stay out near Disney land or in the city itself and in Miami was thinking of South Beach, only 3nights there so looking to stay in liveliest area, any ideas??

heffo

Quote from: Ed Hardy on September 05, 2012, 08:24:48 PM
Heading there in October, anybody know of good places to stay in either place? not sure whether to stay out near Disney land or in the city itself and in Miami was thinking of South Beach, only 3nights there so looking to stay in liveliest area, any ideas??

I wouldn't stay out near Disney, stay on I-Drive - you can get a tram from there straight to the front door of Disney.

Stayed in the Wyndham before - very nice.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: heffo on September 05, 2012, 08:33:37 PM

I wouldn't stay out near Disney, stay on I-Drive - you can get a tram from there straight to the front door of Disney.

agreed - stayed on I-Drive on honeymoon a few years back, bus from Hotel to Disney and back again no bother. Only regret is staying only a week, nowhere near long enough
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

stew

We always stay in the Marriott, absolutely top notch, South Beach is unreal and you should stay close to the beach, that's were it is at.

In terms of Orlando, you may want to consider staying close to disney but the magic play in October and are well worth going to, world class basketball is hard to beat in the evenings.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

oakleafgael

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 05, 2012, 08:48:35 PM

agreed - stayed on I-Drive on honeymoon a few years back, bus from Hotel to Disney and back again no bother. Only regret is staying only a week, nowhere near long enough

Likewise I stayed for a week on honeymoon on I-Drive, wasn't long enough but was disappointed with the standard of hotels and I'm far from fussy.

stew

Quote from: oakleafgael on September 05, 2012, 09:26:23 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on September 05, 2012, 08:48:35 PM

Likewise I stayed for a week on honeymoon on I-Drive, wasn't long enough but was disappointed with the standard of hotels and I'm far from fussy.

I take it you didnt stay in the Marriott then. ;)

Top notch accommodation.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

FL/MAYO

http://www.buenavistapalace.com
My wife stayed here last year, she liked it a lot.

http://tracking.travelclick.com/dm?id=DA47A99D280F966B654903B7E77E7C795DB2DCA5E3284E56
Got this email the other day about a deal with 25 percent off.

This is a good site for deals
http://www.mousesavers.com/walt-disney-world-vacation-discounts-and-deals/

giveherlong

Staying in Eden Roc on Collins Ave in Miami Beach. Any good restaurant and bar recommendations? Thanks

lynchbhoy

Quote from: giveherlong on October 23, 2014, 11:00:25 PM
Staying in Eden Roc on Collins Ave in Miami Beach. Any good restaurant and bar recommendations? Thanks
Can't comment in bars but all the best bars and especially restaurants are on Lincoln drive
- think that's around 17th st

If you head west from the start of Lincoln at the east end of it, walk a few blocks west and you should find an Argentinian steakhouse.
Pricey but fantastic food.
Try the empanadas as starters and pick any of their steaks.
Second time we went back to it we shared a main course as the steak was big enough for two!
Forget the name of the place but it is a fantastic place

giveherlong

Cheers lad
Will give it a go 👍

David McKeown

Never liked Miami but absolutely adore Orlando, last 3/4 times i have stayed at the Rosen Shingle Creek which is about 1 mile from Idrive but really handy to everything if you have a car(10 mins to Universal, 15 to Disney, 10-15 to all shopping).  Hotel itself has always been incredibly reasonable to stay in particularly for how nice it is. I usually get 3 weeks for about £800 in Summer.  The warning I would have about hotels in Orlando though is watch out for either resort or parking fees which most hotels charges as compulsory extras on top.  I found though Virgin Holidays gave free parking last year and a few nice discounts and gifts on arrival.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

TabClear

Agree with most people, I Drive is the best place to stay. Stayed in a Holiday Inn  there about six years ago and had no complaints. Basic in terms of no restaurant/bar but good value for money. Did a basic breakfast and the room was massive, clean and well furnished.

There is so much to do in Orlando, both during the day with the theme parks etc, and at night with the bars/restaurants all you use the room for was a base for sleeping

Eamonnca1

Orlando. The most mind-numbingly boring place I have ever visited. I hate the place with a passion.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: giveherlong on October 23, 2014, 11:34:38 PM
Cheers lad
Will give it a go 👍
don't know how good they are , but the bars of the restaurants/hotels on ocean drive overlooking the beach (ok overlooking the hedge between ocean drive and the beach) are glitzy and always busy.
Id say they are pricey but have all the beautiful people and there are Ferraris and glammed up ladies and gents - its interesting to look at and might be worth a while and a drink
esp at night when the neon lights atop these buildings illuminate the street below!
gorgeous in dry weather.

lynchbhoy

I liked orlando for a few reasons
universal studios was really for big kids...great rides etc
Disney was good but apart from the fantastic epcot, was for kids but still good.

I stayed  international drive.
staybridge suites when they were good - heard they have gone downhill and shabby since
and the last time the Peabody was a fantastic hotel.
the American diner at the front of this was pricey but immaculate in décor , cleanliness and good traditional American diner food with a twist (had a fecking pancakes menu)

ladies love orlando for shopping with three sets of outlets in the nearby vicinity plus the florida shopping mall.

wouldn't know where to find orlando 'city' though and I hear sea world is fantastic too!

I liked Tampa bay and Clearwater as well on the west gulf coast, Thought Miami was pricey but good. Well south beach anyhow.
stayed at 'the anglers' boutique hotel. large suite rooms and they were clean and excellent. its a bit of a walk from there (4th up to the busy Lincoln st at 17th(?))