Loughnane confirms Canning’s inclusion

Started by youbetterbelieveit, March 25, 2008, 09:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Loughnane confirms Canning's inclusion
24 March 2008

Galway hurling boss Ger Loughnane has confirmed that teenage star Joe Canning will be joining up with the county senior squad this coming weekend.

"I'll just be straight honest with you lads," Loughnane told reporters.

"The story is we invited six Portumna lads onto the panel. Everybody that is brought into the Galway panel this year, they have been brought in for a chat beforehand.

"Ollie (Canning) is taking a bit of time to consider whether he will come back or not because it's a very big decision for him. It's a very big chance for him to take.

"We had all the other fellas in - Kevin Hayes, Damien Hayes, Eoin Lynch, Andy Smith and Joe (Canning).

"Joe will be back in. They're all back next weekend."

The Claw

Good news for Galway. I'd say Ollie will come back as well, he hasn't got that long left in the legs. The only problem for Ger now is that he doesnt have the excuse 'well we didnt have two of the best hurlers in the county playing'!

AZOffaly

Quote"I'll just be straight honest with you lads," Loughnane told reporters.

That'd be a first for skeletor. I wouldn't believe his radio :D

GY Joe

I think Skeletor is a good name for him  :D
I see lads trying to put together a Galway team for the championship. Here is my tuppence worth Skeletor

1. Skehill
2. Dervan/Canning(O)
3. Og Regan
4. Moore
5. Kavanagh
6. Lee
7. Collins/Cullinane
8. A Kerins/ Smyth/Lynch
9. K Hynes
10. Farragher/ A Kerins
11. F Healy
12. Tannion
13. D Hayes
14. Canning
15. N Healy/Wade

thejuice

thats a good team, canning is a massive boost, anticipating this year more than others. By the way I follow Galway in the Liam McCarthy, me Dad being from Kiltormer.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BallyhaiseMan

Canning is a class act, bu he doesnt exactly seem in great shape for IC Hurling,im guessing that will have to be worked on.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 25, 2008, 02:17:12 PM
Canning is a class act, bu he doesnt exactly seem in great shape for IC Hurling,im guessing that will have to be worked on.

Ye he seems a big lad BM but i suppose he just has unreal natural talent see the side line puck he got in the Ai club final. Saying that he seems to have serious upper body strength it will be great to see how he gets on with the seniors
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

dodo

Is Eugene Cloonan on the Galway panel this year ?

GY Joe

Quote from: dodo on March 25, 2008, 02:25:17 PM
No, did not put his name forward this year. Due in the main to issues with his back needing rest I think.

imtommygunn

It'll be very interesting to see how he gets on in county hurling.

Like said before he's maybe a bit big but Ger will maybe work that out of him.

Couldn't see a place for him and Ger Farragher on the one team.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: dodo on March 25, 2008, 02:25:17 PM

No. Eugene opted out. His back has been giving him terrible trouble in recent years.

Hopefully things will go well for the Joe Show but he will need to be given time to settle and adapt to intercounty hurling. As talented as he is it is still a step up for him.

timmykelleher

How much adapting will he have to do?
He is after winning 2 all-Ireland club titles and starring in the Fitzgibbon cup.
He is cutting sidelines over the bar and striking frees from 40 yards inside his own half.

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

AZOffaly

The pace of inter county hurling will be the major difference for him. You don't get the same time on the ball, in general. However, it's not like he's never been marked by inter county defender at Fitzgibbon or Club level.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 25, 2008, 02:20:40 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on March 25, 2008, 02:17:12 PM

Ye he seems a big lad BM but i suppose he just has unreal natural talent see the side line puck he got in the Ai club final. Saying that he seems to have serious upper body strength it will be great to see how he gets on with the seniors

hes a ridiculous talent as he is,
With some conditioning work at county level,
when he gets in tip top shape,he will be nigh on unplayable

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: GY Joe on March 25, 2008, 11:33:37 AM
I think Skeletor is a good name for him  :D
I see lads trying to put together a Galway team for the championship. Here is my tuppence worth Skeletor

1. Skehill
2. Dervan/Canning(O)
3. Og Regan
4. Moore
5. Kavanagh
6. Lee
7. Collins/Cullinane
8. A Kerins/ Smyth/Lynch
9. K Hynes
10. Farragher/ A Kerins
11. F Healy
12. Tannion
13. D Hayes
14. Canning
15. N Healy/Wade

I'd leave Tannion in ff and play Joe at 15 or 12, keep him away from the Hickeys and O'Sullivans of this world. One thing is certain though, Farragher's days are numbered, offers f all from play although he did have a decent game on Sun... If Ollie makes himself available Galway will be there or thereabouts...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...