Should Eoin McGrath Have Taken The Point?

Started by agorm, July 29, 2007, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

Once again an absolute thriller served up by these two fantastic teams.

I could not believe how Eoin McGrath did not take his point at the end. It could have been very very costly for Waterford. After all Donal Og saved Cork last year.  Whatever the merits of the awarding of the free (and it was correct technically) Waterford were very lucky to get a point after Donal Og made the save. Considering what was at stake McGrath made a serious error not taking the point and is blessed that they had a reprieve.

Onlooker

I think that Paul Flynn should have taken that last free and gone for a goal. 

Balboa

Quote from: Onlooker on July 29, 2007, 11:08:30 PM
I think that Paul Flynn should have taken that last free and gone for a goal. 

Thank f**k you are not a manager then numbskull........

Bogball XV

Nah, fcuk it, he was just right - why take the boring option all the time - i'll stop short of saying that Flynn should have taken the last free and went for a goal - and it was definite free btw - but, i asked this earlier - why not a penalty?  And if it had been a penalty, what should Waterford have done?

Onlooker

If Damien Fitzhenry could score a goal from a 20 metre free on Saturday, who can say that Paul Flynn could not have done the same on Sunday.  If it had been a penalty I am sure that Flynn would have taken it and gone for a goal and he would probably have scored it.  We will never know, but one opinion is as valid as the other.

highking

The difference was that Wexford were two points down, so they had nothing to lose and took their chances on Fitz burying it.

Waterford had just got out of jail by being awarded the free after mcgrath rightly went for goal. However I think he should have either brought it closer to the goal before shooting or used the guys inside to walk it into the goal. At that stage they did the right thing by taing the point and having another crack at it next week.

Any fixture yet for the replay?

Bacon

I think he had Flynn inside him and a hand pass would have left him an open goal.  So I think he should have passed it.
No question on the free - the ref was 100% right IMO. Far too often refs give a free out to the goalie in that situation and if someone lays to the ball out field they throw the ball in. A penalty is only given for an aggressive foul. Taking the point from the free was the right call.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

agorm

There would even been risks with the hand-pass, he should have taken the point and if Donal Og had cleared the ball he may well have been castigated by Waterford hurling folk for not doing so.

Punxsutawney Fergal

Confidence and winning mentality... do you thnk if Joe Deane or Henry S were in the same position they would have went for a point? I doubt it! One on one with the goalkeeper you would have to go for goal

Dinny Breen

He had to go for the goal, great finish to a game, fancy Waterford big time for the replay.
#newbridgeornowhere

neilthemac

McGrath was shooting on his weak side. point was the sensible option. Flynn should have buried the rebound anyway!

wexford were level when got their free on the 21. Fair play to Fitzy!

deiseach

Quote from: neilthemac on July 30, 2007, 08:43:47 AM
McGrath was shooting on his weak side. point was the sensible option. Flynn should have buried the rebound anyway!

Sensible? Pah! Sensible never won jack. I'm with Eminem on this one:

Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted - one moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?

Fair play to Eoin McGrath for going for it.

maxpower

when he first recieved the ball i thought he should have taken the point, once he wnet past the last defender i thought he had to go for the goal.  in hindsight he pob should have carried it closer in and given donal og no chance. Great finish to a game, its amazing how these two constantly serve u epics.  hopefully its a double header in croker next week,
What happens next????

tayto

No wonder cork are outraged by the decision to give the free, the "rock" has been lying on the ball for years and getting away with it. Great game to cap off a very entetaining weekends hurling.

Sky Blue

Fabulous game. I think he did the right thing and thank God it worked out ok for him in the end.