All Ireland Hurling Quarter Finals

Started by youbetterbelieveit, July 08, 2007, 07:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigyhill Terror

"some McIntosh guy"?

It's good to see you keeping tabs on hurling outside wherever it is you're from

aontroim

The draw for the quarter and semi-finals of the ESB All-Ireland MHC was also made today (dates and times to be confirmed). In the quarter-finals Antrim will play Kilkenny and Cork will play Galway. The semi-final pairings are Tipperary v Antrim or Kilkenny and Dublin v Cork or Galway.

Tough assignment for Antrim against Kilkenny though hope springs eternal!

Craigyhill Terror

I wish I could be confident about Antrim, but this year's minors , though they have some very good players, aren't a patch on either of the last two minor teams. Still, the past two years Antrim were the better team in minor quarter-finals and lost to teams who eventually made the final. Maybe the tables will turn this time

slow corner back

Quote from: FTJC on July 09, 2007, 04:36:33 PM
Brian McFall has walked off Antrim panel as has some McIntosh guy. It seems Antrims ability to shoot themselves in their hurling foot never goes away

Never a truer word spoken, although even with both on board I doubt if we would have won in Salthill. If Galway hurlers have anything between their legs they are bound to be up for it on Saturday.

timmykelleher

Lads,
Can anyone tell me whether since the qualifiers have come into their current format have any of the 2 favoured teams ever come third in their groups?
Is it time to skew these groups to give all teams more of a chance. Say lump the 4 big boys... Galway, Clare , Cork and Tipp into one group?
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: timmykelleher on July 10, 2007, 10:05:03 AM
Lads,
Can anyone tell me whether since the qualifiers have come into their current format have any of the 2 favoured teams ever come third in their groups?
Is it time to skew these groups to give all teams more of a chance. Say lump the 4 big boys... Galway, Clare , Cork and Tipp into one group?

I wouldn't reallly see any point in that. You'd have one really strong group and one weak group. Don't see why the groups should be lopsided just to help the weaker teams go through. The whole point is to to find the best 8 teams for the quarter-finals.