Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therealdonald

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 09:58:03 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 15, 2017, 09:31:39 AM
He's just a jealous west brit
Like it or not if you are born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland you are a subject of Elizabeth the Second whereas in the Republic you would be a citizen.

Don't be too upset. You are in good company

I think Star is on the wind-up

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2017, 09:11:26 PM
I've only ever looked at the poppy as a charity, other people viewed the poppy as symbol of freedom, like you Owen I'd say more so the second War rather than first but because of the serious loss of life, especially from here during the Somme it's been a bigger push on wearing it!

But for whatever reason here more so than anywhere else it's been viewed as divisive.. possibly because the UVF as in the regiment not the paramilitaries were given the attention and the latter were keen jump on board!

Ignoring it, if it annoys you would have been a better idea

I get the sense that the unionist mindset re: the somme, is these brave men gave their lives for our freedom etc. Honourable, brave etc. I look upon the Somme (and the wars in general) as one big giant cull. Absolute lunacy and total disregard for human life. There doesn't seem to be a sense of outrage at the total waste of life at these Remembrance services, and the lead up to it. To be honest, tens of thousands of lives lost, thousands of widows, children losing fathers etc, it's absolutely mental.

If there is another war in the morning, would people be outraged at a similar loss of lives or would they still think it was so brave? Was it Harry Patch who said, it wasn't worth losing one life over.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2017, 11:02:03 PM
I've only ever looked at the poppy as a charity, other people viewed the poppy as symbol of freedom, like you Owen I'd say more so the second War rather than first but because of the serious loss of life, especially from here during the Somme it's been a bigger push on wearing it!

But for whatever reason here more so than anywhere else it's been viewed as divisive.. possibly because the UVF as in the regiment not the paramilitaries were given the attention and the latter were keen jump on board!

I get the sense that the unionist mindset re: the somme, is these brave men gave their lives for our freedom etc. Honourable, brave etc. I look upon the Somme (and the wars in general) as one big giant cull. Absolute lunacy and total disregard for human life. There doesn't seem to be a sense of outrage at the total waste of life at these Remembrance services, and the lead up to it. To be honest, tens of thousands of lives lost, thousands of widows, children losing fathers etc, it's absolutely mental.

If there is another war in the morning, would people be outraged at a similar loss of lives or would they still think it was so brave? Was it Harry Patch who said, it wasn't worth losing one life over.

Pure lunacy but that was in hindsight, at the time they were led to believe different, bit like Brexit!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2017, 11:32:05 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2017, 11:02:03 PM

Pure lunacy but that was in hindsight, at the time they were led to believe different, bit like Brexit!

Yes, but there's few in Britain (and here) that didn't have a relative that was in the wars. So with almost 100 years of hindsight and still no unified outrage at the lunacy of it all. Instead, they buy their poppies and send their boys off to more and more wars.

macdanger2

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 15, 2017, 08:23:04 PM
Just an aside.

We often hear that we all have the right to wear a poppy or not to wear a poppy without reproach because those that the symbolic flower memorialises fought and died so that we have that right in a free society.  Well I can understand that in WWII given that the allies fought against the fascist forces of Germany, Italy and Japan even though the ally that practically won the war for the other through its superior sacrifice was a communist state not interested in personal freedoms. 

However, to say that those Irish and British who fought and died in WWI were fighting for the freedom as we enjoy today is a bit of a stretch as roughly speaking it was a war of empires, British, German, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Ottoman, etc. none of whom had the slightest interest in freedoms of the ordinary person to live as he/she saw fit.  It was never a war about freedom to do anything. If the Irish and British as well as those from the Commonwealth countries had never participated in the war to fight against Germany or had accepted an expanded Germany rather than killing millions in fighting for a relatively small piece of land, we probably would be no worse off today and probably WWII would never have occurred.

So, the claim that those who fought and died in WWI did so that we are free to live a a society where the individual is free to decide whether or not to wear a poppy is nonsense?

Good post

haranguerer

You're the only one round here who believes different re brexit

Avondhu star

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 15, 2017, 08:23:04 PM
Just an aside.

We often hear that we all have the right to wear a poppy or not to wear a poppy without reproach because those that the symbolic flower memorialises fought and died so that we have that right in a free society.  Well I can understand that in WWII given that the allies fought against the fascist forces of Germany, Italy and Japan even though the ally that practically won the war for the other through its superior sacrifice was a communist state not interested in personal freedoms. 

However, to say that those Irish and British who fought and died in WWI were fighting for the freedom as we enjoy today is a bit of a stretch as roughly speaking it was a war of empires, British, German, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Ottoman, etc. none of whom had the slightest interest in freedoms of the ordinary person to live as he/she saw fit.  It was never a war about freedom to do anything. If the Irish and British as well as those from the Commonwealth countries had never participated in the war to fight against Germany or had accepted an expanded Germany rather than killing millions in fighting for a relatively small piece of land, we probably would be no worse off today and probably WWII would never have occurred.

So, the claim that those who fought and died in WWI did so that we are free to live a a society where the individual is free to decide whether or not to wear a poppy is nonsense?

But if that happened how would the History Channel fill the hours it now uses on Nazi shows
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

JoG2

Quote from: Franko on November 15, 2017, 01:42:57 PM
Quote from: AQMP on November 15, 2017, 11:01:31 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 09:58:03 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 15, 2017, 09:31:39 AM
He's just a jealous west brit
Like it or not if you are born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland you are a subject of Elizabeth the Second whereas in the Republic you would be a citizen.

Don't be too upset. You are in good company

No you're not.  Technically I'm both a British and Irish citizen, though in my day to day life I choose to identify as Irish.  Ironically one of the qualifications to be one of the few "British subjects" still around is to be born in the 26 counties before 1949, so your Da or Granda might be a British subject, but very few others are.  The "subject" designation was done away with in 1983 and cannot be passed on.

I've that clown on ignore but I'm glad that, on this occasion, the quote function allowed me to see him being made a fool of yet again.   ;D

Reminded me of Kurt Russell owning Billy Bob in the saloon scene in Tombstone. Very satisying  :D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on November 16, 2017, 08:42:55 AM

You're the only one round here who believes different re brexit

Show me a post where I've said Brexit is a good thing? other than a wind up I've not stated anything other than, its done lets see if it happens and when it does will it be as bad as the experts say... my view is its been bad for years wages havent went up and thats not down to Brexit, its been like that for years before the vote
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

That post mentions 'pure lunacy', you compare it to Brexit. That's in fitting with most peoples views, but not yours.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on November 17, 2017, 08:44:25 AM
That post mentions 'pure lunacy', you compare it to Brexit. That's in fitting with most peoples views, but not yours.

Again, show me where I've said Brexit is a good thing, Ive already stated that we havent been down this road before so there is nothing to comapre it with.. my view has always been remain, I voted for it along with the majority of the rest of NI but the doom merchants on here have compared it with the 1800's..

trentoneill15

My grandfathers uncles died in WW1, I don't wear a poppy, I would be too stingy to buy one even if I did want to.
The distant cousins in South USA loved to hear of their relatives dying in WW1 when I told them. They didn't seem to care about the old IRA fellow.

Dougal Maguire

Saw a guy today wearing an Easter Lily badge. Is this a bit early?
Careful now

Orior

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 22, 2017, 08:16:03 PM

I think Cadbury's Creme Eggs should be available all year round.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on November 22, 2017, 08:40:55 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 22, 2017, 08:16:03 PM

I think Cadbury's Creme Eggs should be available all year round.

Out at the minute!