The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: hardstation on September 13, 2019, 11:44:15 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 13, 2019, 11:00:24 PM
To me any right thinking Irish Nationalist could not on principle take an oath to s foreign state or head of state. I know Margaret, not well but still. I can not fathom why she has sold out. I support SF and their abstention policy.
Not that I disagree with you but this is a Custer's last stand. For 30 years, Sinn Féin have been masters in making even the most unpalatable acts political successes for "Irish Nationalists". They get a kick back calling them sell outs and then their PR operation kicks in and suddenly shaking the queen's hand is actually what the war was about achieving.
I've no problem with SF putting out the hand of friendship to the Royals, friends and neighbours hold them dear. I don't believe as a nationalist on principle you can take an oath to a foreign state/monarch. So I do support the abstention. There is also much that SF do that I don't agree with, the SDLP though provide no alternative.

armaghniac

Quote from: Seany on September 15, 2019, 09:53:09 AM
Margaret Ritchie going to the Lords - Money, red leather and the nice feel of ermine. Same as Austin Currie who went to FG, Mark Durkan who did the same and Gerry Fitt.

So you are comparing joining an unelected body in Britain with standing for election in a different part of Ireland?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 17, 2019, 10:55:35 AM
To me any right thinking Irish Nationalist could not on principle take an oath to s foreign state or head of state. I know Margaret, not well but still. I can not fathom why she has sold out. I support SF and their abstention policy.
Not that I disagree with you but this is a Custer's last stand. For 30 years, Sinn Féin have been masters in making even the most unpalatable acts political successes for "Irish Nationalists". They get a kick back calling them sell outs and then their PR operation kicks in and suddenly shaking the queen's hand is actually what the war was about achieving.
I've no problem with SF putting out the hand of friendship to the Royals, friends and neighbours hold them dear. I don't believe as a nationalist on principle you can take an oath to a foreign state/monarch. So I do support the abstention. There is also much that SF do that I don't agree with, the SDLP though provide no alternative.

What of Parnell? What of O'Connell?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 17, 2019, 04:02:38 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 17, 2019, 10:55:35 AM

What of Parnell? What of O'Connell?
Same, but that said I suppose the dynamic then was slightly different in that they didn't necessarily want to leave the empire.

Wildweasel74

Still take the money though, at the end of the day, gonna show principles go the full nine yards. Not we not going to Westminster but please give us the money!!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 17, 2019, 09:16:23 PM
Still take the money though, at the end of the day, gonna show principles go the full nine yards. Not we not going to Westminster but please give us the money!!
And there was a time when SF wouldn't sit in Stormont or Leinster House either, but those principles were jettisoned by them over time.

Anyway the posts by Shinner heads here conform to type, everything their guys do is right, anything the SDLP does is wrong. So predictable.

Angelo

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 18, 2019, 09:37:27 AM
And there was a time when SF wouldn't sit in Stormont or Leinster House either, but those principles were jettisoned by them over time.

Anyway the posts by Shinner heads here conform to type, everything their guys do is right, anything the SDLP does is wrong. So predictable.

You haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 18, 2019, 09:37:27 AM

Stormont and the Dáil don't require you to take an oath of allegiance to a foreign Head of State.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Applesisapples

Mark H Durkan on GMU this morning blaming everything on the DUP and SF re the collapse of Stormont, unchallenged as usual. So we can take it from this that the SDLP don't care about the Irish language, equal marriage or women's rights. They don't care about RHI, Red Sky or luxury holidays. SF should suck it up and go back into government with out any agreement on these issues from the DUP whom we should trust implicitly. Just when Eastwood convinces me that the SDLP may be worth considering Durkan opens his trap abut the Shinners. Many nationalist voters are sick of the ongoing sniping from both SDLP and SF especially on issue of identity and culture, unionists what ever their disagreements come together to oppose things like the Irish Language, but no not the SDLP/SF. Both parties need to take a long hard look at some of the clowns in their midst.

seafoid

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/general-election-2019/sdlps-claire-hanna-lodges-respectful-protest-over-pledge-to-queen-in-commons-38796681.html

Ms Hanna wrote to Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle to raise concerns about the pledge required by politicians before they can take their seats in the House of Commons.

MPs are required by law to make an oath or affirmation of allegiance to the Crown and are not allowed to speak in debates, vote or receive their salary until they do so.

Some SNP MPs also stressed they were making the pledge in order to serve their constituents.

Ms Hanna, the new SDLP MP for Belfast South, opted to affirm before outlining her reasons for doing so.

Speaking in the Commons, she said: "I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law."

Ms Hanna added: "My allegiance is to the people of South Belfast in order to serve them.

"I've made this affirmation. My political commitment is to the Good Friday Agreement, relationships in Northern Ireland, between north and south of Ireland and between these islands based on mutual respect and co-operation."

In a letter to Sir Lindsay, the MP said: "I submit this letter to you to register a respectful protest against the requirement that I make a statement of allegiance to the Crown as a precondition for taking my seat.

"I chose an affirmation rather than an oath, but the words do not reflect my outlook."

After reiterating her commitment to the Good Friday Agreement, she added: "I do not believe it serves trust in Parliament for MPs to be obliged to rehearse pledges that are not true for them.

"I believe a better pledge would be one to parliamentary service on behalf of our constituents, with an allegiance pledge for those who wish to make one."

The SNP's Gavin Newlands (Paisley and Renfrewshire North) said he was affirming in order to "serve my constituents".

His party colleague Mhairi Black said her allegiance is "first and foremost" to her Paisley and Renfrewshire South constituents and she was making the pledge "for the purpose of the job".

Anne McLaughlin, also from the SNP, said her "primary allegiance is to the people of Glasgow North East and the people of Scotland".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 19, 2019, 11:01:11 AM
Mark H Durkan on GMU this morning blaming everything on the DUP and SF re the collapse of Stormont, unchallenged as usual. So we can take it from this that the SDLP don't care about the Irish language, equal marriage or women's rights. They don't care about RHI, Red Sky or luxury holidays. SF should suck it up and go back into government with out any agreement on these issues from the DUP whom we should trust implicitly. Just when Eastwood convinces me that the SDLP may be worth considering Durkan opens his trap abut the Shinners. Many nationalist voters are sick of the ongoing sniping from both SDLP and SF especially on issue of identity and culture, unionists what ever their disagreements come together to oppose things like the Irish Language, but no not the SDLP/SF. Both parties need to take a long hard look at some of the clowns in their midst.

SF were willing to go back into the executive without SSM and abortion rights resolved. So to hold them up as the custodians of equality and Irishness is a bit rich.
And therein lies the problem. If SF go back without an ILA people will rightly ask what was the last 3 years about? If the DUP do likewise they will be asked why didn't they agree to this 3 years ago? It's a mess of both parties making. It will be interesting to see the spin when they do actually go back in the NY as is looking likely.

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on December 19, 2019, 11:27:25 AM

SF were willing to go back into the executive without SSM and abortion rights resolved. So to hold them up as the custodians of equality and Irishness is a bit rich.
And therein lies the problem. If SF go back without an ILA people will rightly ask what was the last 3 years about? If the DUP do likewise they will be asked why didn't they agree to this 3 years ago? It's a mess of both parties making. It will be interesting to see the spin when they do actually go back in the NY as is looking likely.
I'm not defending SF position, expressing my exasperation at the playing of party politics on both sides when a unified approach would give both parties cover and a stronger hand. Neither party serving nationalists well imo.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

At least they aren't doing a Raymond McCartney

marty34

Quote from: trailer on December 19, 2019, 11:27:25 AM

Sos seems to be putting the blame on DUP now but SDLap will snipe from the sidelines - what's their take on ILA?

playwiththewind1st

If all the Irish you know is "Dia duit,  Sinn Fein", "A Chara" & "GRMA", then feck knows why an ILA is needed in the first place.