The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

The point made was that some SDLP people joined FG or were consorting with FF who are both right wing and therefore couldn't be called "nationalist".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: Rossfan on September 11, 2019, 12:09:16 PM
The point made was that some SDLP people joined FG or were consorting with FF who are both right wing and therefore couldn't be called "nationalist".
To be fair they may as well just join the UUP in the north

Angelo

Nothing the stoops do would surprise me.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

red hander

Quote from: johnnycool on September 10, 2019, 04:24:15 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 10, 2019, 03:44:21 PM
Margaret Ritchie to enter the lords. Jesus wept, I know the SDLP are sore at having no MP's and I know that she has technically resigned. But HTF on principle can any Irish Nationalist join the lords?

Hardly a surprise;

Margaret still taking the soup.

Typical stoop. Brits wave a wee bauble or bit of ermine their way and they're bowing and scraping. A failed politician who claims she will represent nationakists in Lords. She can fcuk right off

RedHand88

I eagerly await her advocating for Irish unity in the House of lords.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: red hander on September 11, 2019, 01:02:05 PM
Margaret Ritchie to enter the lords. Jesus wept, I know the SDLP are sore at having no MP's and I know that she has technically resigned. But HTF on principle can any Irish Nationalist join the lords?

Hardly a surprise;

Typical stoop. Brits wave a wee bauble or bit of ermine their way and they're bowing and scraping. A failed politician who claims she will represent nationakists in Lords. She can fcuk right off

Three hundred quid a day, just for turning up + Assembly pension. There's a good living to be made out of it.

Applesisapples

To me any right thinking Irish Nationalist could not on principle take an oath to s foreign state or head of state. I know Margaret, not well but still. I can not fathom why she has sold out. I support SF and their abstention policy.

Rossfan

Didn't SDLP MPs take their Commons seats and that Oath for years?

Jim Bob

Hardly a surprise;

And when Martin dined with Mrs Windsor and the Chief off Staff of the Parachute regiment your thoughts were...........?

Orior

Quote from: Jim Bob on September 14, 2019, 12:17:26 AM

Hardly a surprise;

And when Martin dined with Mrs Windsor and the Chief off Staff of the Parachute regiment your thoughts were...........?

Keep your enemies close?

I hope she will be a strong voice for us Irish living in the six counties occupied by the British, unlike Gerry Fitt
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

currychip

Hardly a surprise;

Hardly typical.  Second in nearly 50 years to go to the HoL.  I'd presume many more were offered.

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on September 13, 2019, 11:44:15 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 13, 2019, 11:00:24 PM
suddenly shaking the queen's hand is actually what the war was about achieving.
Shaking someone's hand in a spirit of reconciliation and "moving on" is a bit different than swearing allegiance.

RedHand88

Quote from: currychip on September 14, 2019, 07:15:14 AM

Hardly a surprise;

Hardly typical.  Second in nearly 50 years to go to the HoL.  I'd presume many more were offered.

There were indeed sdlp members offered over the years, but they choose to abstain from this house of parliament and not represent Irish nationalism.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Orior on September 14, 2019, 05:23:49 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on September 14, 2019, 12:17:26 AM

Hardly a surprise;

Keep your enemies close?

Ah Jaysus. I've  heard some good excuses in my day but that one takes the biccie

Seany

There is a massive difference between Martin McGuinness going toWIndsor Castle/Meeting the Queen and Margaret Ritchie going to the Lords.
Martin McGuinness had absolutely nothing whatsoever to gain personally from doing what he did. In fact, he had a lot to lose within his own constituency of The Creggan and the Bogside. He did it because he took his role as DFM very seriously and genuinely wanted to undertake confidence building measures to sustain the peace process. This, like many other risks he took were not reciprocated by the DUP and so the Assembly fell.

Margaret Ritchie going to the Lords - Money, red leather and the nice feel of ermine. Same as Austin Currie who went to FG, Mark Durkan who did the same and Gerry Fitt.

I cannot think of one cause, d'écrire or need within Ireland that could be advanced by her heading to the House of Lords. It is an even more ridiculous place than the House of Commons.   

Durkan adored the pomp and ceremony of Westminster. He fully embraced it. Got involved in the minutiae of legislation and was apparently 'a great parliamentarian'.  He is an exceptionally able man, granted.