The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Cupla focal act anois.

marty34

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 19, 2019, 09:14:29 PM
If all the Irish you know is "Dia duit,  Sinn Fein", "A Chara" & "GRMA", then feck knows why an ILA is needed in the first place.

ILA is not just about the language - it's more important than that.

screenexile

Quote from: marty34 on December 19, 2019, 11:07:10 PM
If all the Irish you know is "Dia duit,  Sinn Fein", "A Chara" & "GRMA", then feck knows why an ILA is needed in the first place.

It's really not!! The Irish language is a hobby and having an Irish Language act serves no real purpose only than to wind up Unionists!

Don't get me wrong I love Irish and was decent at it back in the day but it's nowhere near important enough to be collapsing Government. There are myriad other reasons why the institutions could have been collapsed but an ILA should not have been close to one of them and should not be the stumbling block now to get things up and running again!!

Applesisapples

Quote from: screenexile on December 20, 2019, 09:40:16 AM

It's really not!! The Irish language is a hobby and having an Irish Language act serves no real purpose only than to wind up Unionists!

Don't get me wrong I love Irish and was decent at it back in the day but it's nowhere near important enough to be collapsing Government. There are myriad other reasons why the institutions could have been collapsed but an ILA should not have been close to one of them and should not be the stumbling block now to get things up and running again!!
Ah christ it wasn't just the IL act, DUP were acting and treating SF and nationalists as white trash, this state is officially mono cultural. It is vital to sort health and education but the DUP need to embrace equality.

BenDover

Looks like an ILA has been sorted and the main sticking point now is the DUP veto with POC powers or they're bringing the proposals back to Jamie and his muckers for their thoughts

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on December 19, 2019, 10:00:22 PM
100% correct and if you aren't black, why would you give a shite about the racial discrimination of black people.
I'm not a nurse either, so fcuk their pay rise.

Equating the converting of government documents to irish with struggling to pay your mortgage or the systematic discrimination because of race is pure bullshit and you know it.

By such an argument I could equate the importance of the Irish language act with Brexit or Scottish independence.

It's the "piss off the prods" bill pure and simple.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tbrick18

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 20, 2019, 09:52:49 AM

Ah christ it wasn't just the IL act, DUP were acting and treating SF and nationalists as white trash, this state is officially mono cultural. It is vital to sort health and education but the DUP need to embrace equality.

Yeah I'd agree with this. The removal of funding for an Irish language scheme was the straw that broke the camel's back with SF and it showed the complete lack of respect the DUP had for any Irish culture.
Whilst the ILA may seem like a nothing to some people, it forces the DUP to give respect to Irish Culture and is part of the bigger picture of equality. DUP are very good at calling out the erosion of their culture, but in this instance they blatantly tried to erode Irish culture and I for one would be all for putting legislation in place that stops them doing this again.
The Petition of Concern is the big ticket item though. I don't know the mechanics of it, other than the DUP have been able to use it to veto anything they didn't like (SF have too, but not to the same extent) and could basically ride rough shod over democratic votes or even stop votes from happening.
With the evening up of the demographic of polititions here, perhaps the POC could be scrapped altogether? If it was, then things like ILA could be brought up as a bill in the Assembly at any time and voted on in a fair and balanced way without fear of a veto.

armaghniac

The collapse of the Executive had as much to do with RHI as anything else. However, the restoration of the Executive is being based on completing the elements in the St Andrew's Agreement. Twelve years was long enough to do that. You can't have agreements made and then ignored indefinitely, what would be the point of making such agreements?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

I think there should be an Irish language act. But elevating it above peoples health and children's education is too much. SF and The DUP are in a mess of their own making. Stormont was a carve up years before it collapsed. When the SDLP, UUP and Alliance pulled out of the executive thus leaving the big two exposed it was no surprise that it collapsed in months. They had no cover. M'oM couldnt even get a budget together. Incompetence and unelected SPADs were running the show.

So yes RHI and equality rights are issues that need resolved but how these two function in government is the real problem that needs resolved.

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on December 20, 2019, 11:44:34 AM
I think there should be an Irish language act. But elevating it above peoples health and children's education is too much.

Of course, as long as you recognise that it is the DUP who is the block here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: hardstation on December 20, 2019, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: trileacman on December 20, 2019, 09:58:25 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 19, 2019, 10:00:22 PM
100% correct and if you aren't black, why would you give a shite about the racial discrimination of black people.
I'm not a nurse either, so fcuk their pay rise.

Equating the converting of government documents to irish with struggling to pay your mortgage or the systematic discrimination because of race is pure bullshit and you know it.

By such an argument I could equate the importance of the Irish language act with Brexit or Scottish independence.

It's the "piss off the prods" bill pure and simple.
I wasn't equating those things and you know it.
Not having knowledge of a language doesn't exclude you from supporting the rights of those who do, as he was suggesting.
Not to forget SF were under pressure from their own constituency on the IL, that pressure has switched to health but its not one or the other.

Jeepers Creepers

Bryson has just tweeted that any irish word spoken is like a bullet fired for Irish Freedom.

Ambrose

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 20, 2019, 12:42:30 PM
Bryson has just tweeted that any irish word spoken is like a bullet fired for Irish Freedom.

He's also calling for a rerun in north Belfast and FST. You'd miss Willie.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Ambrose on December 20, 2019, 01:30:17 PM

He's also calling for a rerun in north Belfast and FST. You'd miss Willie.

Quite right he has a point - he knows of 22 votes that should have been registered in South Belfast I mean thats the difference right there that makes Claire Hannas 16000 majority look very shaky

Rossfan

He'd better have a focal nó dó with Linda Ervine agus a Gaelgeóiri 😆😃
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM