damien barton new burren manager? will he bring the success of old??

Started by kinghen, January 02, 2008, 05:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinghen

dont know much about him in terms of managerial prowess, but just wondering if he will be able to bring any success to a club who have not won a championship for 10yrs now!! can mayobridge be stopped in down??

WolfeTone

In a word...no!
Don't mean to be blunt, but thats how it is!  Know a cupla loup 1s who workd with him last year and they weren't overly impressed with him.  It was a bit harsh from the loup giving him the sack after just a year to be fair.  A lot of people say he set up the b'derry team that won all-ireland in '02 (he was the manager previous to brian mciver) though.
Personally, from what ive seen of him on the side-line and been talkin to his former players, i wouldn't rate him...
But we'll find out round august/september time! Some travelling from moneymore to burren..compared to moneymore to loup last year (ie 10mins!)
As for mayobridge..either down football is a horrible standard and no1 can compete, or else they fall to pieces come the ulster club campaign!  if ever a team has under-achieved in ulster its mayobridge!  Need to be lookin towards an ulster very soon cos they wont get too many chances with the current crop!

Phheewww...bit longer than i expected!  :-[
Dougal: What's going on?
Priest: I think Ted has a plan
Dougal: No. I mean in general.

orangeman

Damian Barton going to Burren is unbelievable - imagine the "expenses" needed to go there !  ;) ;) ;)

5 Sams

Talking to a few Loupers (Isnt that the collective name for people from the Loup??) during the Ulster League a year or two ago and they weren't impressed with him.

BTW I'm sure Newry Building Supplies will be well able to take the sting out of Barton's "expenses" bill. ;)
The Aristocrat Years

orangeman

Seany

Barton.  A complete mercenary.  The type of merry go round manager we need to get rid of.  And Burren should know better.  Clubs are to blame for keeping up this charade of paying managers huge wages.  They need to wise up.  I just f**king hate this type of Irish League managerial carousel.  I'm so mad to hear this news.  I feel a piece of the GAA gets lost every time a so called big name manager moves into another club.  Our values are diminishing.  ANd how many lotto tickets will it take to pay this fly by night here today gone tomorrow jumped up p***k?  Has he managed his own club? No. He even fell out with them. Just give me one piece of success he's had with a club? No.  Nothing.  But lots of tax free dosh. f**k!

Pangurban

If a great club have reached the stage where they have to try too buy success,then they dont deserve it. I hope they fail miserably, and learn an expensive lesson

townof12

This sounds like a personal loathing of barton than anything else; why?  Whats the problem with him?  Re Burren, are they any different to the vast majority of div1 (and some div2) teams in down to get an outside manager? visit the tyrone and derry threads and you will find they are similar.  should be an interesting one.

theskull1

Quote from: townof12 on January 02, 2008, 09:31:45 PM
This sounds like a personal loathing of barton than anything else; why?  Whats the problem with him?  Re Burren, are they any different to the vast majority of div1 (and some div2) teams in down to get an outside manager? visit the tyrone and derry threads and you will find they are similar.  should be an interesting one.

More a loathing of his ilk townof12. Them and the people prepared to finance these deals. What galls me as that many of these mercenaries are held up as respected Gaels. WTF??
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Seany

Nothing personal against Barton, though he never ever managed a team in his own school.  Never. Compare him with the likes of Jimmy Smith, Danny Quinn, Tony Scullion and even Neil Smith who takes underage, manages his own senior team and could take thousands to manage club teams anywhere in Ulster, but always politely declines because he couldn't take money for managing.  I swear, this business is going to close us down.  it exposes the GAA as hypocrites.  The club at the grassroots me arse.  I hope Burrne lose every match this year and that goes for every other club who is trying to buy success with a cheating quick fix. It doesn't work like that.  For evidence, just check out Cross Rangers.  They don't pay managers.  Full stop.  No questions asked. Their policy on soccer is also simple.  If you play on Saturday, you are not eligible for selection on Sunday.  Just a simple rule.  They tested them about 20 years ago and set up a rival GAA club in the town called St. Johns who were an amalgam of soccer wasters , wee fat men and malcontents.  Cross held their ground and eventually the other club vanished.  Four All Irelands later...

Our Nail Loney

Kinghen this should be in the local down thread, you are not outside the law around here!

Real Talk

It's not Barton or any other Manager's fault getting 'big bucks' for Club jobs.  It is solely the blame of the Clubs for either directly or indirectly paying it.  On the other hand do you really expect a Manager to to give up at least 2 nites and a Sunday plus a host of other associated jobs for free!!!!!

Seany

No i don't, but like the drug trade and other illegal activities, if there was no customer, there would be no supplier and vise versa.  they're all to blame - the mercenaries and the clubs who are prepared to cheat to win.  ANd also, like any other illegal activity, there is no regulation, so these bastards make a packet of cash, tax free.

f**kers

orangeman

The clubs MUST take reponsibility - they obviously sought out a manager and Barton answered the "call" - so it takes two to tango - I also don't like these mercenary type managers but there are a lot of them around - clubs are to blamne as well as the manager - there is an argument that if the clubs weren't shelling out the money, then there'd be no problem - but they are and some managers will only be too glad to relieve them of good few thousand !

Pangurban

Will any member of the Burren Club stand up at the A.G.M. and ask how much Barton is being paid, and where money is coming from, as it sure as hell will not be listed as expense in audited accounts.