Total Tool Journalists

Started by Maximus Marillius, January 18, 2008, 01:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Only after reading the Irish News feature on county managers by none other than Eamonn O'Hare, the most useless of GAA writers, who I believe is on the ALL Star selection committee :o :o :o :o :o scarey. His presence certain devalues the merit of the award. Anyway, here is some of his glorious tit bits...on Mc Geeney 'made his senior debut for Armagh in 1998' :o ???...'his senior county career spanned nine years'  :o :o :o:'( :'( :'(......surely he could at least get these basic facts right. I mean such a useless gaa journalist. I have red so many of his crap match reports over the years that I now do for a laugh to see if he was actually at the same game as myself....he is that far off the mark....and he gets paid for it...would you believe it. My question.....Is he the worst (by worst I mean the least knowledgable) journalist in the business?

KIDDO

orangeman

Fortunately for us, there are a lot of very good local journalists who are great at their job. Kevin Kelly is an up and coming one who seems to have his finger on the pulse.

mackers

I'm with you on this one, Max. His style of writing is brutal, it's the way he constructs his sentences, he's all over the shop.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Minder

eamonn o hara when he attempts to write about hurling, brendan crossan in general and anyone that writes for andytown news,though calling them journalists is being generous in the extreme
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

KIDDO

What about Francie Mooney , or Kevin Hughes.

feetofflames

The journalists (lovable rogues) in Tyrone can be divided into the following:
1) Over Opinionated guys who with or without knowledge and/or indeed love of the game are determined to get their tuppennceworth in.  Would deem a guys off the field demise as newsworthy as a guys perfromance on the pitch. (see option 3)
2) Blandied event reported reporting too much detail without enough opinion.  You know what I nearly hate this more tha A.
3) guys who are ashamed to be associated with the GAA and spend their time knocking it?
Chief Wiggum

THEREALGRASSROOTS

We're glad in Derry that we now have journalists, all we've had for the past 40 years is the Mid Ulster and its waffly reports, 8000 words on a 0-03 to 0-03 draw....but all is rosy with our new wee paper, the derry post....Chris Mccann is doing a fine job since he left the gaelic life...
Jazz flute is for fairies

Uladh

pedro

There's a local fella working for the Dundalk Democrat, James Rogers who I find good. Seems to out a fair bit of work into it.

Anyone read the sunday world? That Roy Curtis is a complete and utter ballbag. I think he has a serious horn for the dubs, Whelan and Sherlock in particular
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

mouview

Drumanee 1

brendan crossan is by far the worst,always calling himself "this reporter",gettig basic facts wrong almost daily,for eg last year he talked about joe diver and the tatical battle and where he might play and at the bottom of the page was the team list and joe was not even on! :o.another time he decribed how he and paddy heaney when to dublin and gave off about the cost of parking and quoted the price he paid,in euro,and he was talking about the 1999 all ireland,they were still using the bloody punt in 99.

Rav67

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on January 18, 2008, 05:28:13 PM
brendan crossan is by far the worst,always calling himself "this reporter",gettig basic facts wrong almost daily,for eg last year he talked about joe diver and the tatical battle and where he might play and at the bottom of the page was the team list and joe was not even on! :o.another time he decribed how he and paddy heaney when to dublin and gave off about the cost of parking and quoted the price he paid,in euro,and he was talking about the 1999 all ireland,they were still using the bloody punt in 99.

I actually enjoy Crossan, although he seems to have an obsession with a few things/people - Che Guevara and the Cuban revolution, "the mercurial" Kevin McGourty, Newington FC and Sambo McNaughton.  The Boot Room can be funny all the same.

Eamonn O'Hara is an awful journalist, but he was even worse a few years back when his match reports didn't seem to contain one properly constructed sentence.

ONeill

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 18, 2008, 01:11:17 PM
Only after reading the Irish News feature on county managers by none other than Eamonn O'Hare, the most useless of GAA writers, who I believe is on the ALL Star selection committee :o :o :o :o :o scarey. His presence certain devalues the merit of the award. Anyway, here is some of his glorious tit bits...on Mc Geeney 'made his senior debut for Armagh in 1998' :o ???...'his senior county career spanned nine years'  :o :o :o:'( :'( :'(......surely he could at least get these basic facts right. I mean such a useless gaa journalist. I have red so many of his crap match reports over the years that I now do for a laugh to see if he was actually at the same game as myself....he is that far off the mark....and he gets paid for it...would you believe it. My question.....Is he the worst (by worst I mean the least knowledgable) journalist in the business?

OK, Max. Here's a challenge. I'd like you to write an article before the end of next week. The topic is "A Preview to the 2008 Derry Championship". I'd like to see stats, facts and incisive opinion. About 1000 words. I know you don't get paid for it, but show us how it's done. I hope you don't mind if we give an honest appraisal of it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Pangurban

Paddy Mc Evoy of the Mourne Observer is excellent. Quality generally in local papers better than Nationals. O Hara is a complete waste of newsprint