Leinster Minor Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 29, 2017, 12:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Not exactly nameless . Kildare and Meath beat us at minor I was at both games . Development squads aside they might just have better bigger more physically imposing more skillful players than us anyway. Both those counties are picking from bigger pools of players than us too so they can afford to pick that sort of player if you know what I mean. A Meath man told me that before any of those guys went into development squads they knew they were going to be a good bunch .

Laoiseabu

Like I said before a dev squad is not gonna turn an ass into a racehorse.

Laoiseabu

That's a fair enough point Pablo Escobar . More youngsters need to be got interested in the game and that can be done is secondary and primary schools .

Chrimtain

Laois under 16s lost to Carlow yesterday  :o :o

on the hop

Don Draper

Quote from: on the hop on July 28, 2018, 11:26:41 PM
U-16's beaten by 12 points by wicklow
Wicklow are a coming side, the garden is about to bloom. No shame in that result.

Chrimtain

There was a time when losing to Carlow and Wicklow at underage level would have been unthinkable. But now, apparently, its acceptable. 

The PRO

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 30, 2018, 08:25:41 AM
There was a time when losing to Carlow and Wicklow at underage level would have been unthinkable. But now, apparently, its acceptable.
You do understand the term "wum"?  :)

Laoiseabu

The garden is about to bloom? That Wicklow side only drew with Wexford . We were hammered by Wicklow, Wexford , Carlow at this level  and people see nothing wrong with it . Not to mention Tipp bet us by 30 points back a month ago. Wake up. Just to repeat Wicklow , Wexford , Carlow , Tipp . Imagine what  Dublin , Galway , Kerry, Kildare, Meath, Mayo etc would do with us . Its a crazy situation at moments really

Butch Cassidy

Who is over the u16s? County board need to appoint an S&C coach to oversee all levels in both hurling and football. It was alarming to see the difference in pace and power Meath and Laois u17s

clonadmad

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on July 30, 2018, 06:39:31 PM
Who is over the u16s? County board need to appoint an S&C coach to oversee all levels in both hurling and football. It was alarming to see the difference in pace and power Meath and Laois u17s

I am blue in the face from saying this.

Last feb,I went in to see the Laois U17 hurlers doing an indoor session,the amount of lads who couldn't do one correct push up or struggled to do 1 pull up was eye opening.

I spoke afterwards to a coach from outside the county who was there and he said that Laois were 10 years behind any of the top 10/12 counties in the country in terms of S&C and Athletic development.

steven seagal

QuoteCounty board need to appoint an S&C coach to oversee all levels in both hurling and football.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, whether you want one S&C coach to implement a programme and be on-site for every squad in both codes, or someone to work with all the other S&C coaches and 'oversee' it in that regard?

It has often been said that one S&C coach should be appointed to take charge of all county teams directly, but I got chatting to an S&C coach a few years ago and asked him about that, and he said it's totally unfeasible. The workload would be enormous and it would be unrealistic to expect them to look after all squads in both codes, because they'd be working 7 nights a week.

What he put to me as the alternative is a High Performance Director, someone to co-ordinate between all the different coaches being used by the county teams, to make sure best practice is being implemented etc. They could dip in and out of each age group then, and when the county season is over then they would have more time to meet players or make sure they are sticking to whatever programme they are on.

Again, that all sounds great written down, but finding the money to pay someone and finding the right candidate would be tricky. You'd need someone with a background in nutrition or diet as well, because that's a big part of a proper S&C regime too. We definitely need to up our game on that aspect of development squads though, it's frightening to see the difference between Laois players and Dublin/Kildare/Meath at minor level in football. It's almost reckless to be sending some of our lads out to try compete with them.

Chrimtain

I was looking at Monaghan last night on TG4. They were huge for u17s. They looked like u21s.