Under age amalgamation

Started by Portbush, August 31, 2016, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 27, 2018, 11:07:14 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on July 27, 2018, 09:30:14 AM
laois is too small for towns like stradbally being a football only club or rathdowney being a hurling only club

Let's be honest about it, which end of the county is this a problem in?
There are very few juvenile hurlers with no access to football.
Its a lot easier to play a bit of football at juvenile level in a hurling club Than vice versa . All ya need is a big ball or 2.
You have to be really in to the hurling to get a team out. Helmets, girls, sliotars, maybe shinguards. There just isn't the will in places like Arles or Vicarstown or Killenard for hurling.
If a lad from any of these places wants to hurl, there are options. Mountmellick, Park Ratheniska, Ballypickas, Clonad etc all accomodate lads from football only clubs.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SCFC on July 27, 2018, 12:00:51 PM
laois is too small for towns like stradbally being a football only club or rathdowney being a hurling only club

Its a lot easier to play a bit of football at juvenile level in a hurling club Than vice versa . All ya need is a big ball or 2.
You have to be really in to the hurling to get a team out. Helmets, girls, sliotars, maybe shinguards. There just isn't the will in places like Arles or Vicarstown or Killenard for hurling.
If a lad from any of these places wants to hurl, there are options. Mountmellick, Park Ratheniska, Ballypickas, Clonad etc all accomodate lads from football only clubs.

It obviously is not as easy. But I think this is a convenient excuse at times. It is not difficult to equip an under 8 and under 10 team with club owned helmets and hurls. Take it from there. I'm sure there would be support from CB if this was planned and proposed. It is not cricket or american football that is being introduced. The familiarity and the facilities are already in place. I honestly believe it is actively discouraged.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 27, 2018, 12:08:43 PM
Quote from: SCFC on July 27, 2018, 12:00:51 PM

It obviously is not as easy. But I think this is a convenient excuse at times. It is not difficult to equip an under 8 and under 10 team with club owned helmets and hurls. Take it from there. I'm sure there would be support from CB if this was planned and proposed. It is not cricket or american football that is being introduced. The familiarity and the facilities are already in place. I honestly believe it is actively discouraged.
I 100% agree with your last line. People don't want hurling interfering with football in some parts of the county. But hand on heart, can you say that the reverse doesn't also apply. Lads are happy enough for young lads to play a bit of juvenile football in hurling areas but there's no interest in it at adult level. The Errill v Rathdowney final on Stephens Day shows that.
I think if the county board want to push hurling in the football only areas, they need to set up 2 clubs. One to cover Port, Emo, Courtwood, Annanough and maybe Stradbally. The other to cover Joseph's, Ballylinan parish, Killeshin and Graigue.
Although I think any young lads from The Heath or Stradbally can hurl away with Ratheniska.

steven seagal

QuoteI think if the county board want to push hurling in the football only areas, they need to set up 2 clubs. One to cover Port, Emo, Courtwood, Annanough and maybe Stradbally. The other to cover Joseph's, Ballylinan parish, Killeshin and Graigue.

The second area is more or less covered by Slieve Margy, and Graigue do a small bit of hurling already.

To be honest, I'd sooner see the county board push hurling in Portlaoise first, before trying to get it going in other football areas.

SCFC

Quote from: steven seagal on July 27, 2018, 03:04:52 PM
QuoteI think if the county board want to push hurling in the football only areas, they need to set up 2 clubs. One to cover Port, Emo, Courtwood, Annanough and maybe Stradbally. The other to cover Joseph's, Ballylinan parish, Killeshin and Graigue.

The second area is more or less covered by Slieve Margy, and Graigue do a small bit of hurling already.

To be honest, I'd sooner see the county board push hurling in Portlaoise first, before trying to get it going in other football areas.
Slieve Margy is almost a dead duck.

Keyser Söze

SCFC there is a big difference.
Kids are being exposed to football and competitive football at U8/11/13/15/17 in almost all hurling clubs. That is a start. That is about 100 extra "footballers" at each age group. The odd one stands out or has the interest to progress and goes in with Development Squads.

You want to reduce this number to two clubs for hurling- 30 extra players. We need everybody playing both at U8/11/13/15.

clonadmad

Gaels should be left for senior teams only, having said that there shouldnt be 16 senior teams either, as regards underage football and hurling should be accessable to every child inside their own parish, laois is too small for towns like stradbally being a football only club or rathdowney being a hurling only club
There's Juvenile football being played in R/E

Don Draper

Yea, Margo has been on its knees from the start. Never got support from anywhere and the will of those pushing it was broken early doors. 

SpeculativeEffort

Its a disgrace. Hurling and football can work very well together. Slaughtneil have proved this.

Laoiseabu

Rosenallis have proved  this too despite being a small club

independent

I assume with lots walkovers for their Div 5 team it's down to numbers.

merman

Lads have the best of intentions but when it comes down to it a lot of them will be training hard and getting ready for football championship.
They'll find it hard to justify the risk themselves, and that's before pressure comes on from management, teammates or "supporters".

Keyser Söze

Quote from: merman on July 30, 2018, 12:32:30 PM
Lads have the best of intentions but when it comes down to it a lot of them will be training hard and getting ready for football championship.
They'll find it hard to justify the risk themselves, and that's before pressure comes on from management, teammates or "supporters".

This doesn't apply at Under 9/11/13/15 level. If they only entered these teams and we got 3/4 extra hurlers per age group going in with Development Squads it would be a huge boost.
For example, only for the persistence of their parents, Laois Hurling would never have seen the Comerfords play minor/senior.
If the clubs won't allow/support adult teams fine. There is no reason they cant enter teams at juvenile level.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 31, 2018, 10:42:45 PM
Quote from: merman on July 30, 2018, 12:32:30 PM

This doesn't apply at Under 9/11/13/15 level. If they only entered these teams and we got 3/4 extra hurlers per age group going in with Development Squads it would be a huge boost.
For example, only for the persistence of their parents, Laois Hurling would never have seen the Comerfords play minor/senior.
If the clubs won't allow/support adult teams fine. There is no reason they cant enter teams at juvenile level.

Well said