The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

To win a Grand Slam with that France team knocking around is a great achievement.

podge

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2023, 06:20:20 PM
Need take a couple of 3pts to settle them, 2 England penalties put them ahead. Very concerning for the world cup, any high pressure game which they expected to win well, they perform poorly.

What a strange comment.  France and Scotland games weren't high pressure?  This was the first average performance for a long time

Wildweasel74

They play well in games were they expected serious opposition, Ue: France, South Africa, New Zealand. But on teams they expected to clock they don't play anywhere near to their potential.

gallsman

Quote from: JoG2 on March 18, 2023, 07:02:22 PM
Fierce tough battle that will stand to them. A great 6 nations, 26 points, can't ask for more (as you can't get more!)

27. Max available is 28 as GS winners are given 3 extra points to ensure they can't be overtaken via bonus points by a team with a loss. We didn't get the BP against Scotland.

Nanderson

Quote from: JoG2 on March 18, 2023, 07:02:22 PM
Fierce tough battle that will stand to them. A great 6 nations, 26 points, can't ask for more (as you can't get more!)
Could have got 28

Milltown Row2

Ireland in the end win as 1/10 favourites that's that! Brilliant night at friends enjoying the craic, indifferent type of game.

Nothing wrong with being 'put in your place' type game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

I had a feeling England would bounce back after the French game, but they still were not good enough to stop Ireland. Sheehan was great for the first try that changed the game. He is one of the best hookers in the world.

grounded

Well done to the U20's. Fantastic result and great hope for the future.

gallsman

The U20s are a serious team. Them and France way ahead of the pack just like the senior tournament.

Lots of English whinging about the Steward red card at the minute, saying he was trying to get out of the tackle etc. Honestly have no idea what he was trying to do, but whatever it was it was visit reckless and dangerous. Turned into him with the elbow braced. Clear red.

johnnycool

Quote from: gallsman on March 20, 2023, 07:41:02 AM
The U20s are a serious team. Them and France way ahead of the pack just like the senior tournament.

Lots of English whinging about the Steward red card at the minute, saying he was trying to get out of the tackle etc. Honestly have no idea what he was trying to do, but whatever it was it was visit reckless and dangerous. Turned into him with the elbow braced. Clear red.

Turned his shoulder into the man who was on his way down, no mitigation for him, straight red all day long. If he'd been front on them maybe, but he wasn't for whatever reason I couldn't understand from Clive Woodward....

Ireland were jittery, no doubt, England were fired up, possibly too fired up after such an abject performance the last time out, and whilst winning the collisions were overstepping the mark and being penalised for it. Scrums have always baffled me, but Ireland were pinged twice for the scrum wheeling when it looked like they'd the upper hand.
Ireland had just that bit more to offer with the ball in hand and that's what got them over the line against this very basic England team even if there were more errors than normal.

Pressure game for Ireland and they ended up winning with the BP, but bigger battles lies ahead in France.

Applesisapples

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2023, 08:06:26 AM

Turned his shoulder into the man who was on his way down, no mitigation for him, straight red all day long. If he'd been front on them maybe, but he wasn't for whatever reason I couldn't understand from Clive Woodward....

Ireland were jittery, no doubt, England were fired up, possibly too fired up after such an abject performance the last time out, and whilst winning the collisions were overstepping the mark and being penalised for it. Scrums have always baffled me, but Ireland were pinged twice for the scrum wheeling when it looked like they'd the upper hand.
Ireland had just that bit more to offer with the ball in hand and that's what got them over the line against this very basic England team even if there were more errors than normal.

Pressure game for Ireland and they ended up winning with the BP, but bigger battles lies ahead in France.
I've watched a lot of rugby this year, that from Steward would be a red all day long in either Europe or URC. Steward knew what he was doing. English pundits playing to the masses.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 20, 2023, 11:54:42 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2023, 08:06:26 AM

I've watched a lot of rugby this year, that from Steward would be a red all day long in either Europe or URC. Steward knew what he was doing. English pundits playing to the masses.

Bundee aki got red carded in the same fixture a couple of yrs ago a tackle that no-one would have looked at until recently. These cards are harsh but they are red under current rules end of story. I don't know why  the pundits are still making a big deal of it. A much bigger injustice was the farce last week were Ireland were penalised and lost a try and a player through injury all from a Scottish mistake. That rule needs changing asap to allow that try to stand and only penalise the team that offends with the wrong ball lineout if they take advantage aka Wales all those yrs ago who got away with murder that day

seafoid

Sinead O'Carroll was on OTB yesterday and she said that The Scotland match was like a World Cup qf match with loads of injuries and the pressure that that brings. She said the England match was like a World Cup semi final. I thought it was an interesting comparison.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

If the World Cup games play out according to the rankings, 6th and 7th ranked England and Australia will make the semi finals, 5th ranked Scotland will not make it out of the group.

nrico2006

Red as per the modern super woke health and safety rules, but shouldn't have been a red.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'