Attempt to scrap the hooter: typical GAA defeatism?

Started by Eamonnca1, January 22, 2015, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

By all accounts the hooter system, which congress has approved twice, is to be scrapped before it was even implemented if Central Council has its way. Is it just me or is the GAA one of the most defeatist organizations out there? Ladies football has had the hooter for years. So have plenty of other sports. What is it with this giving up before we even reach the first hurdle and scrapping projects at the first sign of problems? Gawd!

On a related note, when the LGFA comes under the GAA umbrella, the organization will become a lot more progressive. It'll be the biggest change to the character of the association in its history, mark my words. If Camogie ever comes under the GAA wing then that'll make things even better.

From the Bunker

The simple fact is that it is harder for the referee to balance up a shite decision when the hooter is in the way of giving the unlucky team time to correct his mistake.

Kernan_is_King

Big Joe - Big Future!

twohands!!!

Have to agree - very disappointing if this is not brought in asap.

The thing is there doesn't seem to be much of the way of an explanation as to why it's being scrapped now.

Just seems like some folk in Central Council don't like it, so killed it.

moysider

Replays are too lucrative.
The chances of replays would be a lot less I m sure if the timing was taken off the ref.
Anybody got any idea how much extra was brought in by 2 AI hurling replays in a row? Badly needed euros now considering that we ve lost revenue from Croke Park being rented for rugby and soccer. And of course the place is no good for concerts either.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on January 23, 2015, 10:06:56 PM
The chances of replays would be a lot less I m sure if the timing was taken off the ref.
Anybody got any idea how much extra was brought in by 2 AI hurling replays in a row? Badly needed euros now considering that we ve lost revenue from Croke Park being rented for rugby and soccer. And of course the place is no good for concerts either.

Make that - Anybody got any idea how much extra was brought in by 3 AI hurling replays in a row?

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 23, 2015, 10:16:51 PM
Quote from: moysider on January 23, 2015, 10:06:56 PM

Make that - Anybody got any idea how much extra was brought in by 3 AI hurling replays in a row?

FFS you re right of course. Wouldn't mind I was at both games in 2012/14! Forgot about Clare!!
Anyway it is even more lucrative than I thought. No wonder they don t do hooters ;D

orangeman

The games in which there were replays were incredible games and I was delighted that the games ended in draws. And I'm quite sure the money men in Croke park were even happier.

The hooter system was tried in some games last year and didn't work.

Jinxy

Imagine any of the ulster teams with a two point lead to defend knowing they had exactly 3 minutes left.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Sidney

I don't like the countdown clock system and I'll be happy if it doesn't come in.

Cork engaged in time wasting when they went one point ahead of Clare in that drawn All-Ireland final and a countdown clock would have rewarded it rather than letting the referee use his discretion to give Clare one more play.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: orangeman on January 24, 2015, 09:18:31 AM
The hooter system was tried in some games last year and didn't work.

Where was it tried? What went wrong? Seems to work in plenty of other sports. Seems to have been working fine in ladies' football for years.

sligoman2

I firmly believe that a clock should be used and that it is stopped during injuries and anytime play is stopped in the last 3 minutes.  I watched the cluxton free that beat Kerry and it took about  1 minute and 10 seconds of the 2 minutes of extra time.
I can't understand why players shouldn't know how much time is left, not having a clock is Stone Age stuff in my opinion.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Owenmoresider

Wouldn't mind if we adopted the Australian Rules timekeeping system, as wiki outlines:
QuoteA game consists of four quarters and a timekeeper officiates their duration. At professional level quarters consist of 20 minutes of play, with the clock being stopped for instances such as scores, the ball going out of play or at the umpire's discretion. The umpire signals time-off to stop the clock for various reasons, such as the player in possession being tackled to the ground and leading to stagnant play as neither side can recover the ball. Time resumes when the umpire signals time-on or when the ball is brought into play. Such stoppages generally lead to quarters being extended by between five and ten minutes. The official game clock is only known on the field by the timekeepers. Official game time is not displayed to the players or the public; the only knowledge they have of time is when sirens sound to mark the beginning and end of each quarter. Official time may be approximated by broadcasters to display to television audiences.
Haven't any problem with taking the timekeeping out of the referee's hands but don't like the idea of a countdown clock, and the inevitable keepball (when you know exactly how long's left, so less chance of getting caught out) by the team in front, and then the moronic "10,9,8..." countdown by the crowd, as has happened often at the ladies games, isn't something that I'd like to see brought to the men's code.

waterfordlad

I agree with you Owensider. I'm happy enough as it is and don't see any great advantage in changing.