Dup will never allow Irish language act

Started by uimhr ocht, February 06, 2017, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: No wides on February 10, 2017, 08:26:20 AM
I say again - Those posting their disgust here, can you all speak Irish, do your kids attend naiscoil, bhunscoil, meánscoil - or do you just want this act to give two fingers to the prods?

Anyone who needs to see british street names like English Street and Scotch Street in Irish to make them feel wanted need to get a f**king grip.  Save our identity - save the language, go learn it!

So only those who attend Scoileanna are allowed to have a grá for ár theanga.
Incidentally, I totally agree re this ridiculous gaelicisation of English names, and the sooner we change "Belfast" back to " Béal Feirste" the better😜

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Take Your Points

Listen to rugby referee, Nigel Owens, on Talkback today speaking about the Welsh language, the importance of having a native language and the implementation of the Welsh Language Act.  It was a neutral voice extolling the importance of a language act.

armaghniac

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 10, 2017, 07:51:45 PM
Listen to rugby referee, Nigel Owens, on Talkback today speaking about the Welsh language, the importance of having a native language and the implementation of the Welsh Language Act.  It was a neutral voice extolling the importance of a language act.

Exactly. It isn't as if speaking Welsh has lead to outbreaks of nationalism.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hereiam

Its the DUP being the DUP. I tell you if they could find some way of criminalising the GAA and banning it in the north they would.

6th sam

Minder

Without stating the obvious no Irish Language Act is nothing new & didnt SF sign up for the last Programme for Government that excluded an Irish Language Act?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Take Your Points

Quote from: Minder on February 11, 2017, 12:48:15 PM
Without stating the obvious no Irish Language Act is nothing new & didnt SF sign up for the last Programme for Government that excluded an Irish Language Act?

Correct.  They agreed a programme without ILA or redefinition of marriage legislation.  The whole equality demand only came to the fore when they decided to cause the election.  Becoming apparent that it was cover for failure to deal with the implementation of the Bengoa Report that was delivered to the Minister in June 2016, only brought to public in October 2016 and the failure to accept/demand funding for waiting lists in the quarterly financial reviews.  Also looking like cover with the failure to deal adequately with the tight financial situation particularly on recurrent revenue expenditure and deliver the additional expenditure needed in the 2017-18 budget to deliver the Bengoa Report.  Also the failure to publish the results of the quarterly reviews to show how departments are spending or accumulating their funds. Easier to use RHI as cover for an election and then putting an unrealistic demand for Foster to stand aside in new mandate while allowing direct rule and avoiding the responsibility to govern the country as the vast majority of the public want to resolve major health, education and social care issues.

T Fearon

Read today that an Irish Language Act would cost millions.That being the case I would oppose it,it is not needed and the cost is far too much just for something to annoy "themmuns"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Ta! A small residual bit from my O Levels a long time ago.I'm all for promoting Irish and indeed all languages.I just don't see the point in expending millions on legislation when it's plainly not needed

Avondhu star

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2017, 09:57:41 PM
Ta! A small residual bit from my O Levels a long time ago.I'm all for promoting Irish and indeed all languages.I just don't see the point in expending millions on legislation when it's plainly not needed
Millions upon millions upon millions have been spent in the Republic on Irish but after 14 years education the majority of the people couldnt go in to the shop and ask for a bottle of milk in Irish.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

T Fearon

Exactly.Anyone who wishes to learn any language should be given the opportunity to attend classes etc,but that's it.We don't need expensive legislation or every bloody document/road sign appearing in two or three different languages at huge cost to the public purse.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on February 12, 2017, 12:00:47 AM
Exactly.Anyone who wishes to learn any language should be given the opportunity to attend classes etc,but that's it.We don't need expensive legislation or every bloody document/road sign appearing in two or three different languages at huge cost to the public purse.

Why should your mates in the DUP be allowed suppress Irish culture in Ireland?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 11, 2017, 11:09:07 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2017, 09:57:41 PM
Millions upon millions upon millions have been spent in the Republic on Irish but after 14 years education the majority of the people couldnt go in to the shop and ask for a bottle of milk in Irish.

Bainne... it's bainne!!!