Dup will never allow Irish language act

Started by uimhr ocht, February 06, 2017, 05:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on February 09, 2017, 10:03:07 PM
Certainly it has never bothered me why Hill Street in Newry is flat: I just need to know what shops are on it.

It is flat because it is on a river bank.

QuoteI'm guessing that the DUP's more moderate types are wary of this, while the hardliners would always say no anyway - because that's their thing. Either way, the Irishman Language movement will make greater advances into NI culture (I believe) if they target people who want to learn it, and allow it to spread organically, rather than force everyone to join in.

It isn't clear that anyone will be forced to join in, except there may be a reduction in Irish speakers forced to speak English. But the interests of the Paddies is never quite on a par, is it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

StGallsGAA

The clever bigot Arlene played the insult-all-nationalists line about the Irish language being second to Polish in NI as well as a never-never-never line thrown in which successfully knocked RHI off the front pages and headlines every day since.   

Orior

Quote from: hardstation on February 09, 2017, 10:10:39 PM
It's forcing everyone to join in.

It does? So you've seen the proposed legislation?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on February 09, 2017, 10:30:36 PM
Certainly it has never bothered me why Hill Street in Newry is flat: I just need to know what shops are on it.

It is flat because it is on a river bank.

Named after Thomas Hill?

6th sam

Orior I know dozens of people who can string together Amhrán na bhFiann in pigeon Irish if challenged, yet they don't know the words in English. So basically they've no idea what the song is about.

My lesson from this is that more people than you might imagine don't give a fiddler's f**k about why things are called what they are.

The Irish Language movement has unfortunately gained some of the same fascist / zealot undertones that the poppy campaign has unfortunately endured. For the diehards, general awareness is not enough, and they will campaign, dump and force their wares on everyone until it becomes a tribal statement to step aside.

I'm guessing that the DUP's more moderate types are wary of this, while the hardliners would always say no anyway - because that's their thing. Either way, the Irishman Language movement will make greater advances into NI culture (I believe) if they target people who want to learn it, and allow it to spread organically, rather than force everyone to join in.

I respect your right not to give a fiddlers, but too many in Ireland as a whole don't appear to respect others rights to actually care and value elements of our culture. There is either accusation or insinuation that valuing indigenous culture actually makes us bigots. I happen to care about and enjoy the things that make us unique, in the same way as I respect and enjoy aspects of different cultures.
We all have seen the dangers in dismissing and belittling other cultures manifest currently via Trump.
In England for example there are traditions like cricket on the village green, Morris dancing and the royal family which don"t interest me , but I absolutely respect these traditions and understand their value to communities in England. If a property developer rolled into Midsommer to tear up the local cricket pitch to build a towerblock Call centre, I wonder how it would be viewed. Countries like Britain, France and Ireland mainly respect indigenous and foreign culture, And if we didn't , Shakespeare, the Louvre and Irish dancing could be long gone.
Who knows the specifics of an Irish language act, but anything that protects positive culture should be welcomed. In my experience very few people use the Irish language as a weapon, and I feel this is a convenient narrative for those who "don't want a fenian about the place" . More importantly I would agree with the previous post that the attack on the Irish language is a smokescreen to ensure that yet again this election becomes a sectarian headcount rather than addressing the issues that really count!

RedHandTom

I think we'll see progress with Michelle at the helm in stormont. DUP will have to negotiate their way out of the mess they created for themselves and they'll know the act will be on the table.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: RedHandTom on February 10, 2017, 07:15:16 AM
I think we'll see progress with Michelle at the helm in stormont. DUP will have to negotiate their way out of the mess they created for themselves and they'll know the act will be on the table.

DUP will not back down. Direct rule here we come which looks equally grim. May and Brokenshire only too happy to look after their chums in the DUP and what will nationalists do? - well feck all, it might take another 10 yrs for the penny to finally drop maybe then they may start voting again and make their numbers count.

seafoid

Foster keeps on reminding voters that if her party doesn't return the largest number of votes the way of life in NI will be threatened. I have been following the teachings of Sri Guru Fearon who preaches a belief in the unique culture of NI so I find Foster's positioning very confusing.

vallankumous

Orior I know dozens of people who can string together Amhrán na bhFiann in pigeon Irish if challenged, yet they don't know the words in English. So basically they've no idea what the song is about.

The official tranlation is a bastardisation of the the Anthem. So those that have learnt it in English only don't know what it's about either.

No wides

Quote from: red hander on February 09, 2017, 06:31:10 PM
Why not just refuse to recognise the statelet and end that farce up on the hill once and for all. Demand joint authority and if the brits refuse then direct rule it is. In a post brexit scenario the likelihood is that Scotland, who unionists claim most allegiance to, will vote to leave the union. The little Englanders who pushed for brexit don't give a flying fiddlers for the red, white and blue bigots over here, and if it's emphasised how much this failed statelet is costing them they'll grow even more fucked off about it. Labour will be decimated in any election under corbyn, thus the tories won't need the dup votes. With no sway in Westminster and no assembly, they're fucked IMO

Whilst I agree with much of what you say, scotland will be there for the long haul.

seafoid

Quote from: No wides on February 10, 2017, 08:20:16 AM
Why not just refuse to recognise the statelet and end that farce up on the hill once and for all. Demand joint authority and if the brits refuse then direct rule it is. In a post brexit scenario the likelihood is that Scotland, who unionists claim most allegiance to, will vote to leave the union. The little Englanders who pushed for brexit don't give a flying fiddlers for the red, white and blue bigots over here, and if it's emphasised how much this failed statelet is costing them they'll grow even more fucked off about it. Labour will be decimated in any election under corbyn, thus the tories won't need the dup votes. With no sway in Westminster and no assembly, they're fucked IMO

Whilst I agree with much of what you say, scotland will be there for the long haul.
Unless oil goes back above $100

No wides

I say again - Those posting their disgust here, can you all speak Irish, do your kids attend naiscoil, bhunscoil, meánscoil - or do you just want this act to give two fingers to the prods?

Anyone who needs to see british street names like English Street and Scotch Street in Irish to make them feel wanted need to get a f**king grip.  Save our identity - save the language, go learn it!

No wides

Quote from: seafoid on February 10, 2017, 08:21:27 AM
Quote from: No wides on February 10, 2017, 08:20:16 AM

Unless oil goes back above $100

So if England give Scotland another referendum, and if the Scottish folk vote to leave (neither of which will happen) you think Scotland just keeps all the oil, you live in a fantasy land!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: No wides on February 10, 2017, 08:26:20 AM
I say again - Those posting their disgust here, can you all speak Irish, do your kids attend naiscoil, bhunscoil, meánscoil - or do you just want this act to give two fingers to the prods?

Anyone who needs to see british street names like English Street and Scotch Street in Irish to make them feel wanted need to get a f**king grip.  Save our identity - save the language, go learn it!

Dubhghlas de hÍde was a Protestant. Doubt he would stick 2 fingers up to his own religion...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Orior

Quote from: AQMP on February 10, 2017, 09:54:26 AM
Quote from: No wides on February 10, 2017, 08:26:20 AM

I wouldn't do that to Linda Ervine

Ha! You're a terrible person.