The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Does this mean the end of Cantwell and Cavanagh? Please say yes.

pbat

Thats only the Sunday evening show I think, Cantwell will still be doing the live broadcasts.

Gael85

Canavan is a good addition. Enjoyed his analysis on Sky. Nice to see David Tubridy in there too.

imtommygunn

Quote from: thewobbler on January 22, 2023, 03:32:03 PM
Does this mean the end of Cantwell and Cavanagh? Please say yes.

Cavanagh must be gone? Please... suspect cantwell could still be there yet.

Canavan a very good pundit.

Saffrongael

It was always going to be a female
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Wildweasel74

It's a woman workd presenting mostly men's Gaelic and hurling.

seafoid

Jacqui Hurley was very bronach when Cantwell got the TSG job. Funny old world.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2022/0705/1308339-jacqui-hurley-im-really-living-the-dream/

Jacqui admits that not getting the hosting job on The Sunday Game (it went to Joanne Cantwell in 2019 after the retirement of long-time host Michael Lyster) was probably her biggest disappointment and it resulted in her almost leaving RTÉ, something she opened up about in a recent podcast interview with Doireann Garrihy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2GqlOYfgfw

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 20, 2022, 09:24:48 PM
It will be a female so mentioning anyone that is a man is a waste of time

Why does it HAVE to be a female, why not appoint people on the basis of their expertise and ability?
"Stercus accidit"

seafoid

Quote from: Sandy Hill on January 22, 2023, 05:20:55 PM

Why does it HAVE to be a female, why not appoint people on the basis of their expertise and ability?
Role models for girls. Why not?
Female analysts and presenters are no different to their male counterparts. A lot of sports analysis is waffle anyway.

Saffrongael

Those days are gone
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2023, 05:33:19 PM

Female analysts and presenters are no different to their male counterparts. A lot of sports analysis is waffle anyway.

I'd be more concerned that it's another presenter from Dublin. 

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 22, 2023, 06:12:33 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 22, 2023, 05:33:19 PM

I'd be more concerned that it's another presenter from Dublin.

Jacqui Hurley? She's from Cork.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

An Fhairche Abu

Gender should be irrelevant for the presenting gig, I couldn't care less whether it's a man or woman if they know their stuff and are fit for it, there's plenty of lads who would give out yards about any woman getting it, regardless if they were top notch and the best person for it.

That said personally I've found Jacqui Hurley isn't good on GAA, been listening to Sunday Sport for many years going to and from matches, she makes a ton of poor errors, not knowing the setup of draws, the consequences of league results for the overall picture etc. and just isn't up to speed on it generally, go past the top players that the dog in the street knows and there's little knowledge. I wonder whether she's much of a GAA fan or has interest in it, she could well have but does a good job of hiding it if she does.

Unusual for someone to have the rugby gig (no idea how she is on that, don't watch it) and one of the prime SG presenter jobs, she has good pull in RTE anyway. Best of luck to her, Des Cahill wasn't great so maybe it's all much of a muchness but I wouldn't be a fan of this presenting appointment.