NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Confirmation this morning on social media that Stephen Attride is in Australia for the season .

les Antiques

The Sugrue departure has a left a sour taste among some of the players.  He had a great representation from Portlaoise the past two years . It will remain to be seem whether the same number will make themselves available.
I don't think Donie is committing this year .
Anyway onwards and upwards Division 2 will be a minefield especially for what's at stake .

Butch Cassidy

Quirke is friendly with Sugrue and spoke with him before taking the job. If Sugrues departure ended on a sour note dont you think he would have said it to Quirke?

The Monument Road

I have a view on why Sugrue left...Some players did inform him they were packing it in and he then decided to quit. I think Donie was one of them. A few other younger lads are travelling. All the signs are for bleak period ahead in afraid

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: The Monument Road on October 24, 2019, 05:29:51 PM
I have a view on why Sugrue left...Some players did inform him they were packing it in and he then decided to quit. I think Donie was one of them. A few other younger lads are travelling. All the signs are for bleak period ahead in afraid

Don't know if what you are saying is true about Sugrue but I do tend to agree with you that we have a difficult season coming. With how small our resources are in this county, we really can't afford to go into Division 2 without our captain, Stephen Attride, and our best forward for the last number of years, Donie Kingston.

There will be opportunities for some of the young lads now, but they might take a while to get used to senior inter-county football. It would be a pleasant surprise if we were to avoid relegation in Division 2.

High Fielder

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on October 24, 2019, 05:01:00 PM
Quirke is friendly with Sugrue and spoke with him before taking the job. If Sugrues departure ended on a sour note dont you think he would have said it to Quirke?

He probably did, but maybe he decided to take it anyway. Unlike Sugrue, I doubt he was in demand, and I say that with all due respect.

High Fielder

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on October 24, 2019, 05:41:53 PM

Don't know if what you are saying is true about Sugrue but I do tend to agree with you that we have a difficult season coming. With how small our resources are in this county, we really can't afford to go into Division 2 without our captain, Stephen Attride, and our best forward for the last number of years, Donie Kingston.

There will be opportunities for some of the young lads now, but they might take a while to get used to senior inter-county football. It would be a pleasant surprise if we were to avoid relegation in Division 2.

It doesn't look good does it? Your captain and best forward walking away? On the back of successive promotions as well. It asks more questions about what really happened with Sugrue. But perhaps more importantly, it makes you wonder about the point of it all. I can always understand when the disaffected or marginalised walk away, but we seem to be doing a head count before the start of every season. And you can't blame lads in fairness. It's a tough gig, and between your career and family, there's more to life than the GAA.

Laoiseabu

Would u have any more info on who else is traveling ??

welcomehome

Did donie not do the same last year with sugrue..

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: welcomehome on October 24, 2019, 06:57:50 PM
Did donie not do the same last year with sugrue..
He did, he was playing a lot of basketball last year, not sure what he's at this year..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Jd

I think Attride has put in a good few years with Laois already and to classify it as walking away is unfair on the lad. He's young and probably has a few bob saved to go traveling and has decided to get it done before he gets older and life (marriage kids mortgage etc)  takes over. His commitment is never in doubt so a break is well deserved. I don't know much about Donie but he seems like a lad who can take or leave it. An enormous talent and I always said he could be our Michael Murphy if he had applied himself the same way. Alas he hasn't and we'll never see what he should have been so maybe we should just move on without him and hopefully Evan blossoms into the super footballer he can be.

les Antiques

The emergence of Murphy from Port last year on the inter county scene can lessen the damage of Donie s absence .

Laoiseabu

Quote from: les Antiques on October 26, 2019, 03:36:47 PM
The emergence of Murphy from Port last year on the inter county scene can lessen the damage of Donie s absence .
There's no one in Laois capable of filling the boots of an on form Donie. Was unplayable on his day .

les Antiques

Quote from: Laoiseabu on October 26, 2019, 04:22:07 PM
Quote from: les Antiques on October 26, 2019, 03:36:47 PM
There's no one in Laois capable of filling the boots of an on form Donie. Was unplayable on his day .

Where did I say Murphy was going to replace Donie s boots ?

High Fielder

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on October 24, 2019, 05:41:53 PM

Don't mistake what I said for criticism. It's his life and he must do whatever is best for him. He's not under contract or any other obligation, but he is captain, and it wouldn't be normal for the captain to walk away. I'm sure it has happened before, particularly in counties like Laois, but it's still not ideal.