Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

They should have been out of sight but you shouldn't have to rely on being out of sight. The ref really looked like he wanted to punish Cavan at every opportunity. Blowing up 2 minutes early is something he should be made to account for, they can get away with going over the time but cutting 2 minutes off the announced time should be chased up.

Our full back should probably have been brought out to midfield earlier. The centre back was excellent too.

Itchy

I think we are looking at likely relegation. Cant see us beating Roscommon unless Roscommon play a weakened team, they seemed to have every one of their top players back against Armagh. If we lose we would need Laois to lose in Fermanagh and with Fermanaghs woes, the fact they are already relegated, I cant see that happen. Those two results would almost certainly relegate us on 6 points. That Clare defeat could prove very damaging.

delgany

Quote from: Itchy on October 17, 2020, 06:44:40 PM
Minors robbed today by horrendous refereeing. Mind you if they had one forward able to score from play they'd have win easily.

Who was the ref ?

Look-Up!

Disappointing result. Ok performance. Some of the newbies showed reasonably well. The lead up to half time and 3rd quarter killed us and left us with a mountain to climb. Some of our wides were poor, mistakes on kickouts worrying and missed penalty disappointing but these things can happen. However the constant kicking of point attempts into GK arms at this level is criminal.
Other than that is was a decent game of football. We competed well and looked very good at times but for that 20 minute spell where we couldn't keep the score board ticking over. Kildare on the other hand couldn't seem to miss and were taking some exceptional scores. Unfortunately we found ourselves cut adrift fairly rapidly but we did rally well for the finish. Kildare look a decent team, unusually clinical upfront for a Lilywhite outfit. Also much more cynical than us when they needed to be.
May need a favour elsewhere now at this stage to stay in Division 2. If we can avoid a hammering against Roscommon we might just stay up. It's in our own hands of course and possible we could beat them but I'd just be a bit worried we're a bit light looking and nice yet in a few areas. Roscommon are a serious outfit. Experienced, battle hardened, fully fit squad and a team that should be looking at surviving Division 1. If they get a run on us they could go to town. Fingers crossed we can pull off a big performance.

Itchy

Quote from: delgany on October 19, 2020, 01:44:48 PM
Minors robbed today by horrendous refereeing. Mind you if they had one forward able to score from play they'd have win easily.

Who was the ref ?

A fella called Enda Mallon. Not sure where he is from.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Itchy on October 19, 2020, 03:51:57 PM
Quote from: delgany on October 19, 2020, 01:44:48 PM

Who was the ref ?

A fella called Enda Mallon. Not sure where he is from.

O shit. Sorry about that lads - he's one of ours (Armagh). Don't take it personally, he's an atrocious ref and an attention seeking nuisance every day out.

Itchy

Very depressing to be relegated when we were in the hunt for promotion but those were two totally pathetic performances against Kildare and Roscommon. I was thinking today that this is a player issue and Graham needs more time, with all the chopping and changing to his panel. Then I did a google search and went back to 2016 when we played Galway with promotion to Div 1 the prize for the winner. I pick Galway as you can see them today battling for the Div 1 totle against the dubs. Here are the teams in a game Cavan won 1-16 to 1-12 ...

Cavan: R Galligan (0-2, 2 45s), P Faulkner, K Clarke, J McLoughlin, C Brady, C Moynagh, K Brady, T Corr, L Buchanan (0-1), D McVeety (0-1), G McKiernan (0-5), M Reilly, D Givney (1-1), M Argue, J Brady (0-2f)

Subs: N Murray (0-1) for Argue (51 mins), E Keating (0-2) for J Brady (55 mins), C Mackey for M Reilly (60 mins), R Dunne for Buchanan (BC, 63 mins), C Conroy for Corr (70 mins)

Galway: M Breathnach, D Wynne (0-1), D Kyne, C Sweeney, L Silke, G O'Donnell, G Bradshaw, E Brannigan (0-2), P Conroy, T Flynn, P Sweeney, G Sice (0-3f), S Walsh (0-4, 1f, 45), D Cummins (0-1), D Comer (1-1)

So Cavan retain the services of 11 of those players and Galway 8 of theirs. Yet the differences in where these team have gone since then in stark. What is wrong in Cavan. Are players just not willing to put it in. Is our backroom set up not good enough. Why does every team we play against look in better condition to us. I wish I knew the answers. All I see is a heavy defeat against Monaghan next weekend in front of the SKY TV cameras

gortnaleck

I wouldn't be blaming the players too much. I think the trouble starts with their defensive system. More  defenders are needed and backs need to be up with their markers contesting the ball and not lying back and letting the forwards get easy possession.Attacking half backs are great but you get caught out at the back when you have a turnover or shot drop short.Cant remember numbers exactly but think we were well outnumbered for the goal.
Roscommon are Connacht champions. Meath drew with Monaghan today as well.Not much between a lot of teams and Cavan still have some great young talent coming through,so the club coaches are doing a great job. Think we just need that superstar or two to make the difference

Itchy

Quote from: gortnaleck on October 25, 2020, 10:17:51 PM
I wouldn't be blaming the players too much. I think the trouble starts with their defensive system. More  defenders are needed and backs need to be up with their markers contesting the ball and not lying back and letting the forwards get easy possession.Attacking half backs are great but you get caught out at the back when you have a turnover or shot drop short.Cant remember numbers exactly but think we were well outnumbered for the goal.
Roscommon are Connacht champions. Meath drew with Monaghan today as well.Not much between a lot of teams and Cavan still have some great young talent coming through,so the club coaches are doing a great job. Think we just need that superstar or two to make the difference

What team had a great system in place this year given all the disruptions, only teams like Tyrone with same manager and squad in place for years. I don't blame young players coming in but I do question a number of established players. Why is Jason mcloughlin physically the same build as he was 5 years ago, why has gunner not learned that he is giving away 3/4 points a game from frees and rarely makes it to 70 minutes as a result, why is gearoid going missing still in big games. I could go on. Players need to look at themselves in the mirror. Its an easy out to blame managers. Do you think there is a better manager than Graham out there with record of success that would manage us?? I dont think so

Look-Up!

Very disappointing result at weekend. It's worrying that for such an important game we didn't look the least bit up for it. The bit of luck we needed elsewhere, and it looked like we might get it with Fermanagh leading 5 points against 14 men with time almost up, finally ran out. Fair play to Laois, it was some finish and we fully deserve to find ourselves in Division 3.
Where to start on the game? Team selection bizarre to say the least with some of our better performers last week no where to be seen. I cannot get my head around the selection of Clarke and Murray. If it was some sort of masterstroke move with an eye on getting our main men ready for the Monaghan game then I will give Graham the benefit of the doubt for the week, but for my money neither of those two will be fit to play a match in a month never mind 7 days.
From the off we looked second best. There were some green shoots here and there with some of the younger lads showing a bit of potential but overall we laboured badly, had no cohesion, lacked leadership, appeared unfit and slow in certain positions and looked devoid of a game plan. In fact we looked to be playing against ourselves at times- what a calamity of a goal that was! Left our shooting boots at home too. Couple of the second half substitutions gave us a bit of a shot in the arm but we never really looked like pulling it back. We had a great goal chance to put us back in contention but you always felt Roscommon could keep us at arms length.
In hindsight McVeety and Moynagh are a huge loss. They have plenty of detractors but they have always led the line and got us going when we needed especially in league. There was nothing on Saturday. Gearoid was disappointing for me. In fairness he tried hard but he was very frustrating to watch. Insisted on being in the middle of everything but just got in the way a lot. All our attacks slowed down as soon as he got on the ball. He has been a great servant for us but at the moment he looks to be no longer able to go past players. Every time he tried it the last day he turned back out, either got surrounded and lost it or soloed back down the field and kicked the ball back to our midfield or half backs. Hopefully he can find some old form again because we will badly need him against the Farney to avoid a hammering. I thought Galligan showed a bit of drive and purpose when he came on. Maybe Gearoid could be moved farther forward.
Onto Championship. I know it's a derby and form goes out the window but I really worry we will be given a severe lesson. We just look so flat and disorganised at the moment. Over the years we have had some bad days out but it's usually been against the top 6 teams. In League we've always looked competitive and up for the fight and when we've had bad days at the office we've always reacted well the next day out. I don't like being over critical but for such an important game for Div 2 survival and after a tepid enough affair with Kildare the week before, that performance at the weekend was as bad as it gets.
The year is a write off at this stage for me. Not expecting anything against Monaghan so anything other than a hammering will be a pleasant surprise. Onto next year and Division 3. It will be tough enough getting back up. I think if the team and management play with the same attitude we've seen the last few games and feel we're too good for the third tier then we're in for a very rude awakening.

mrdeeds

Some craic Cavan having two illegal players in panel versus Kildare. One got on too. Kildare notified Cavan after game.

five points

Quote from: mrdeeds on October 28, 2020, 05:20:01 PM
Some craic Cavan having two illegal players in panel versus Kildare. One got on too. Kildare notified Cavan after game.

Illegal how?

mrdeeds

Quote from: five points on October 28, 2020, 05:25:15 PM

Illegal how?

Too young. Only turned 18 this year.

five points

Westside

Caoimhin McGovern and who else?