Have you ever been a 'Sledger?'

Started by theticklemister, May 18, 2015, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Is it plausible that the player who was the target of sledging was not aware of the comments, but his team mates were?
Does that not defeat the whole purpose of doing it?
Something doesn't add up here.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on May 23, 2015, 12:56:53 PM
Is it plausible that the player who was the target of sledging was not aware of the comments, but his team mates were?
Does that not defeat the whole purpose of doing it?
Something doesn't add up here.

It wouldn't change the intent.

But Boyle needs to explain himself now.

Has he made a formal complaint and if so, what stage is it at?

If not, why not?
MWWSI 2017

cockahoop

Quote from: rrhf on May 23, 2015, 12:23:06 PM
Cockahoop that is some allegation to make, you would really want to have witnessed it yourself as you will get yourself into trouble some day if its loose talk.  ...and very clever the way you have used it to help you denigrate a larger group, set up and indeed county.

oh it was said and heard and the club made it known to the opposing clubs manager, the only reason it wasn't followed up was because of the high profile of the man involved and a child of ten shouldn't have to go into a official investigation and wouldn't take long before it was in the papers.my work colleague is a prominent member of the club involved and lets just say we are very aware of the legal rights and wrongs of what can be said or not said on here as were in the legal business,knowing the father of the child I'm pretty sure it wont go unpunished.
using it to denigrate a larger group comes from alot of my own experiences,yeah maybe wrong to tar everyone with the one brush but you could tar a great majority

rrhf

rrhf

Quote from: screenexile on May 23, 2015, 12:34:15 AM
So not only have Tyrone players called out a lad for his Father dying of cancer but now you lads are trying to say Donegal is making it all up?

What exactly have Donegal to gain by making this up? They won the game at a canter and the easiest thing for them to do is ride off into the sunset where they will win the Ulster Championship. They have nothing to gain by making this up so the logical inference is that it's true and Tyrone are coveting their asses with lies!

Sad state of affairs!!
Donegal played Dublin in the league a few years ago.  There was a similar use of media sources at the time to blacken the name of a Dublin lad and their team about an alleged biting incident.  Through the proper channels they were asked to give evidence and conduct themselves in certain ways and they didnt play ball.  The goal was achieved -  Dublins reputation was tarnished by same biting allegation.   I feel very similar about Tipp at the moment.  There are a number of people in important places at the moment who sensationalise  everything. We are a new organisation to scandal SPILLANE AND Brolly in particular are throwing our sport at the redtops.  These guys are seen as leaders but most of what they see is negative.

Darby

Quote from: rrhf on May 23, 2015, 02:50:24 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 23, 2015, 12:34:15 AM
So not only have Tyrone players called out a lad for his Father dying of cancer but now you lads are trying to say Donegal is making it all up?

What exactly have Donegal to gain by making this up? They won the game at a canter and the easiest thing for them to do is ride off into the sunset where they will win the Ulster Championship. They have nothing to gain by making this up so the logical inference is that it's true and Tyrone are coveting their asses with lies!

Sad state of affairs!!
Donegal played Dublin in the league a few years ago.  There was a similar use of media sources at the time to blacken the name of a Dublin lad and their team about an alleged biting incident.  Through the proper channels they were asked to give evidence and conduct themselves in certain ways and they didnt play ball.  The goal was achieved -  Dublins reputation was tarnished by same biting allegation.   I feel very similar about Tipp at the moment.  There are a number of people in important places at the moment who sensationalise  everything. We are a new organisation to scandal SPILLANE AND Brolly in particular are throwing our sport at the redtops.  These guys are seen as leaders but most of what they see is negative.
You don't condone this stuff in Tyrone. Instead, you accuse the other team of lying about every single allegation made against you. You're also very good at correctly pointing out that it happens everywhere, which makes it okay, of course.

Jinxy

This sort of stuff needs to be handled through official channels.
I remember accusations of racist abuse being made against a Meath minor a couple of years ago in the aftermath of a game against Westmeath.
Tommy 'Tom' Carr was very vocal about it in the media.
It was investigated and the Meath player was cleared of any wrongdoing.
However, as you would expect, the initial accusation got the headlines, the results of the investigation were buried in the sports section.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on May 23, 2015, 03:03:06 PM
I remember accusations of racist abuse being made against a Meath minor a couple of years ago in the aftermath of a game against Westmeath.
However, as you would expect, the initial accusation got the headlines, the results of the investigation were buried in the sports section.

Exactly and when the people involved are minors then we need to be even more careful.

This is where I have the problem, you just need to read some of the vicious bile on here (and multiply that by 100 on Twitter and other social media) to see what Bonner has exposed that young lad too. He's placed him in the middle of a shit storm without giving him the opportunity of defending himself or even having the right of an independent investigation. For me, this calls Bonner's judgement into question when dealing with young players and their welfare. I just hope he did his own thorough investigation and his facts are 100%.

There's no option than for Donegal to pursue this now and I wonder why this hasn't been done already. This can't be swept under the carpet and they must make a formal complaint to the Ulster Council. Forgive me if I await the outcome of an independent investigation, before stringing up one of our own young players.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on May 23, 2015, 03:03:06 PM

In all fairness it's very hard for someone to be convicted of a whisper or a word out of earshot. This case like that one are topics the players in question have very little reason to be lying about. It's not like they have much to benefit from making it up, particularly in this case where the offending team is out of the competition because they lost. More weight in public discussion is rightly put on the victim's words than the denials of the alleged perpetrator - they have a lot to benefit from saying they didn't do it.

The hurdle of proving someone said something is much higher than it is to find they couldn't prove they did through lack of evidence. That will not stop people applying less rote logic to the situation and making their own conclusions. That's life.

armaghniac

As I said in post #2, in this day and age give everyone a small microphone ipod yoke and if there is an allegation there is some sort of evidence. That would stop all of this in its tracks.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Stallion

No shortage of apologists for the inexcusable behaviour of Tyrone players it seems. No wonder this behaviour is rife in the county, it seems to be openly accepted by many.

Amazing how some people can set aside right and wrong so readily.

LeoMc

Quote from: The Stallion on May 23, 2015, 05:12:02 PM
No shortage of apologists for the inexcusable behaviour of Tyrone players it seems. No wonder this behaviour is rife in the county, it seems to be openly accepted by many.

No one excusing it, just asking for due process before we commence the lynching.

Syferus

Quote from: LeoMc on May 23, 2015, 06:42:17 PM

No one excusing it, just asking for due process before we commence the lynching.

Seems like the Tyrone CB hadn't much time for due process themselves..

Put Up That Flag

Its the norm for the scummy county that it is,  normal morals or footballing traits don't work in Tyrone,  win by all accounts be that by using every dirty trick in the book that no other county use, when their footballing ability is as poor as it is they try to use these tactics to level the playing field,  gas thing is they tried every dirty trick possible in minor and senior games last weekend it would seem and they still got their asses handed to them :-) :-) :-)

LeoMc

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on May 23, 2015, 08:49:04 PM

Its the norm for the scummy county that it is,  normal morals or footballing traits don't work in Tyrone,  win by all accounts be that by using every dirty trick in the book that no other county use, when their footballing ability is as poor as it is they try to use these tactics to level the playing field,  gas thing is they tried every dirty trick possible in minor and senior games last weekend it would seem and they still got their asses handed to them :-) :-) :-)
Still hurtin from the u21s?
Do you like crisps?