Have you ever been a 'Sledger?'

Started by theticklemister, May 18, 2015, 09:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Tyrone releasing a statement based on the undertaking of their own investigation is absolutely laughable. They are winning no friends here at all.
If there's an investigation to be had then it should be done by the Ulster council who ran the game last Sunday.

Tyrones desperate attempts to claim innocence on this is really pathetic here

BennyHarp

Quote from: ck on May 23, 2015, 08:26:05 AM
Tyrone releasing a statement based on the undertaking of their own investigation is absolutely laughable. They are winning no friends here at all.
If there's an investigation to be had then it should be done by the Ulster council who ran the game last Sunday.

What was the Donegal claims based on?
That was never a square ball!!

general_lee

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 23, 2015, 08:52:44 AM

What motive would Donegal have to fabricate this!? Fcuk boy some of you Tyronies are delusional!

BennyHarp

Quote from: general_lee on May 23, 2015, 08:58:18 AM

What motive would Donegal have to fabricate this!? Fcuk boy some of you Tyronies are delusional!

We'll see. Sometimes information can be misconstrued. But sure you jump down the throat of a minor footballer and hang him out to dry without proper investigation into what happened. Trial by media once again, this accusation sticks regardless of the truth.

rrhf

So other Donegal lads heard this but not the lad that was allegedly being sledged and the manager things this is enough to go to the press with.... You couldnt make this up.
There are always idiots in roles they are not fit to be and this seems to be another example.  Ill not comment any further on this as the damage is already done to the GAA to Tyrone Football and in many peoples eyes Donegal football.  I am now wondering is this an engrained culture of bullshit where guys are looking something for later in the year and it is a major problem.  Tipperary Under 21s management, Murphy this and that, Bitegate V the dubs where there was no evidence presented when push came to shove because the discrediting of the Dubs had already been achieved and now this.  GAA people are criticising their own game, trying to make it look like soccor, Australian rules, everyone is trying to change the rules, It all a load of bollix. 

general_lee

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 23, 2015, 09:12:46 AM

We'll see. Sometimes information can be misconstrued. But sure you jump down the throat of a minor footballer and hang him out to dry without proper investigation into what happened. Trial by media once again, this accusation sticks regardless of the truth.
I'm not jumping down the throat of anyone. If a Tyrone player did say something, big deal! He's 17/18 with probably very little sense! It can be dealt with properly and measures implemented to prevent anything similar in the future.

It's the whole air of denial that surrounds this - would the Donegal minor mgmt really put their player through all this if they didn't have something pretty solid to go on? Yes it could well turn out to be something quite innocuous but Tyrone haven't done much to tackle the accusation other than an extremely shallow rebuttal.

P.S. Don't get me wrong Tyrone are getting hung out to dry here by people looking to use this as a stick to beat them with which is not fair.

BennyHarp

Why did Bonner choose to tell the story via his column rather than through official GAA lines? Why did he feel he could put a young lad on trial like this without consideration for the welfare of the Tyrone player and the lad who was allegedly abused and before a proper investigation was carried out? (Ulster council not Tyrone or Donegal) For me there is only two outcomes here now that Bonner has made this a massive issue. Either, the Tyrone lad is investigated, found guilty and receives a very lengthy suspension or Bonner is found to have jumped the gun and should be removed as the Donegal county minor manager for placing a minor footballer in the media spotlight in such a dangerous way without any due care for his safety or welfare. Either way, this is not good.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: general_lee on May 23, 2015, 09:26:24 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 23, 2015, 09:12:46 AM

I'm not jumping down the throat of anyone. If a Tyrone player did say something, big deal! He's 17/18 with probably very little sense! It can be dealt with properly and measures implemented to prevent anything similar in the future.

It's the whole air of denial that surrounds this - would the Donegal minor mgmt really put their player through all this if they didn't have something pretty solid to go on? Yes it could well turn out to be something quite innocuous but Tyrone haven't done much to tackle the accusation other than an extremely shallow rebuttal.

P.S. Don't get me wrong Tyrone are getting hung out to dry here by people looking to use this as a stick to beat them with which is not fair.

I don't think anyone in Donegal would make up something like this. However there are channels for this. They should've confidentially reported this to the Ulster Council and asked them to independently investigate the incident.

If they felt it was so important- and they shoud've- why did Declan Bonner leave it til Thursday to mention it in his own piece in the paper? Not going through the proper channels is poor in my opinion as well.

Edit: What Benny said!  :)
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

general_lee

How he made the allegation is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If anything the fact he made it on such a public platform adds more weight to it - either that or he's a f**king imbecile. In any case, he may have already went through the proper channels with Ulster Council. Has there been anything said to the contrary?

Though I agree that if (big if!) he is telling porkies he deserves to be relieved of his mgmt duties. Until then I take the man at his word.

theskull1

You asked the question regarding DBs motives

I get the sense some folk want to bring sledging to a head and generating headlines are the way to go about it.

Generally people will much prefer the discussion is out in the open as there's more chance of changing hearts and minds on the topic. That is the good thing about this discussion isn't it? Not great for Tyrone though.

As GL stated. Declan Bonner better be sure of his facts.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cockahoop

I dont know why your all surprised by this latest incident involving tyrone,they have been at it for years,there lowere than low and will never change,only a few weeks ago Mickey hartes right hand man threatened to "kick the shite" out of a 10 year old in a u/12 friendly match with a derry club so its happening from the top down.

theskull1

The lord forgives all sledgers who get to confessions within the week. Rumors these are being contructed at Garvaghy  ;D

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

rrhf

Cockahoop that is some allegation to make, you would really want to have witnessed it yourself as you will get yourself into trouble some day if its loose talk.  ...and very clever the way you have used it to help you denigrate a larger group, set up and indeed county.

The Stallion

Very disappointed but not at all surprised to hear of this latest incident involving Tyrone players mouthing.

It's even more disappointing that so many Tyrone folk seem more keen to deny or make excuses rather than confront and condemn these incidents.

Quite pathetic how much some Tyrone men will condone in the name of winning a game of football. Shameful.

Darby

Quote from: general_lee on May 23, 2015, 09:52:58 AM
How he made the allegation is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. If anything the fact he made it on such a public platform adds more weight to it - either that or he's a f**king imbecile. In any case, he may have already went through the proper channels with Ulster Council. Has there been anything said to the contrary?

Though I agree that if (big if!) he is telling porkies he deserves to be relieved of his mgmt duties. Until then I take the man at his word.
I agree entirely.