The Milk Cup?

Started by Farrandeelin, August 01, 2014, 09:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Can anyone please tell me what kind of competition it is? My friend has hogged the newsfeed of my fb with it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 01, 2014, 09:12:02 PM
Can anyone please tell me what kind of competition it is? My friend has hogged the newsfeed of my fb with it.

Try this link Farr.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

RealSpiritof98

Just checked out the BBC highlights on the website, Co Tyrone duffed by Liverpool and Antrim beating an American side in Premier section and then the only junior side shown was.............

yes you guessed it Rangers FC!!!

Tells you all you need to know about the powers that be at BBC sport, though Armagh beating Swindon might have got a mention.

Keyser soze

Just another excuse to show how great 'Our Wee Country' is. As with other non-events, like the NW200, bigged up to show how great Norn Iron is, it couldn't run if there wasn't a shitload of public money thrown at it.

A load of wains running round like sheep  but the BBC treats it like a mini woirld cup. There'd be more peeps at Owenbeg for an Intermediate match than would attend the whole thing.

Rois

A partner in my work has two sons playing at it.  There are proper selection processes, they train for months, and it's competitive (they are in the Co Armagh squad).
Another colleague's husband volunteers every year as a referee.
It's easy to moan about it but it's a sports event that gets/keeps kids interested. 

Keyser soze

I have no issue with anyone participating or attending , it's the orgasmic media love-in that pisses me off.

pullhard

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 28, 2015, 09:22:30 AM
Just another excuse to show how great 'Our Wee Country' is. As with other non-events, like the NW200, bigged up to show how great Norn Iron is, it couldn't run if there wasn't a shitload of public money thrown at it.

A load of wains running round like sheep  but the BBC treats it like a mini woirld cup. There'd be more peeps at Owenbeg for an Intermediate match than would attend the whole thing.

I think road racing should be stopped. fear the news around nw200 and IOM TT time, too many folk families torn up by it.

gallsman

Some serious begrudgery on this thread.

6th sam

I think we have outstanding games in hurling and Gaelic football and for me and my family no other sport compares to the buzz associated with our club and county. However that was what we were brought up with, understand and enjoy. For others it's soccer , rugby , athletics , motor sports or even darts!! I think we should be secure enough in the pride we have in the GAA not to denigrate other sports or pastimes. To call the NW200 a non-event just doesn't stand up. I don't know the exact figures but road racing attracts hundreds of thousands of spectators every year , watching competitors of exceptional skill and bravery. Similarly in soccer the milk cup is the shop window for aspiring professional soccer players, it appears very well organised attracting some of the world's largest clubs. I feel that BBC and UTV aren't promoting our own games in the way I would like, and there's certainly a debate to be had around that, but attacking the NW200 and Milk cup undermines the credibility of the valid argument in favour of more GAA exposure

imtommygunn

It's a great wee event. It's rare you see that level of soccer talent on these shores and it's good to see that locally. Whoever runs it does a great job of getting the man united, the nations in the u20 or whatever age it is and the liverpools etc.

It doesn't take away from gaelic seeing this but there should be more GAA coverage outside brawls.

The NW200 is huge too and a great event.

The Subbie

Anything that utter w**ker winker Watson seems to enjoy should not be tolerated.

I do like soccer and friends of mine have played in the milk cup but as Watson w**ks himself senseless over it year in year out it and him can f**k off.

pullhard

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 28, 2015, 11:10:16 AM
It's a great wee event. It's rare you see that level of soccer talent on these shores and it's good to see that locally. Whoever runs it does a great job of getting the man united, the nations in the u20 or whatever age it is and the liverpools etc.

It doesn't take away from gaelic seeing this but there should be more GAA coverage outside brawls.

The NW200 is huge too and a great event.

Agree but feel its time it was moved to a circuit

JoG2

Quote from: 6th sam on July 28, 2015, 11:06:30 AM

I think we have outstanding games in hurling and Gaelic football and for me and my family no other sport compares to the buzz associated with our club and county. However that was what we were brought up with, understand and enjoy. For others it's soccer , rugby , athletics , motor sports or even darts!! I think we should be secure enough in the pride we have in the GAA not to denigrate other sports or pastimes. To call the NW200 a non-event just doesn't stand up. I don't know the exact figures but road racing attracts hundreds of thousands of spectators every year , watching competitors of exceptional skill and bravery. Similarly in soccer the milk cup is the shop window for aspiring professional soccer players, it appears very well organised attracting some of the world's largest clubs. I feel that BBC and UTV aren't promoting our own games in the way I would like, and there's certainly a debate to be had around that, but attacking the NW200 and Milk cup undermines the credibility of the valid argument in favour of more GAA exposure

agreed

calling tournaments like the milk cup 'non events' is absolutely ridiculous

Keyser soze

There's a lot of people on here talking about begrudgery and not giving credit where its due or being derogatory to other sports.

Well my issue isn't with these sports per se or the people who play or watch them. However without the public provision of playing fields there wouldnt be a single soccer league able to run in this country let alone an 'international competition', as the vast majority of soccer clubs don't have a pot to piss in let alone have their own playing fields. If the public purse wasnt providing these you can be sure there would be next to zero soccer being played here.

The level of press coverage given to this Mickey Mouse competition is absurd. The contrast with how GAA is publicly funded and covered in the media is stark.

Though it is obviously working when you get people on here lauding the level of soccer talent coming to 'these shores'. Hahahaha Watson eat your heart out. You could count on your fingers the number of people who made it to the top level in soccer who played in the Milk Cup. God knows they are listed ad nauseum every year.

And don't get me started on Road Racing, a sport that needs to close the public roads to exist. And the hundreds of thousands, sorry, quarter of a million spectators, don't make me laugh, there wouldnt be 10,000 people paying to watch this nonsense.

David McKeown

Having been involved in youth football for the best part of a decade I have to say that Northern Ireland has not one but two top tier youth competitions annually. I helped out with fundraising for the Co Antrim squad 4 or 5 years ago and was very impressed with the level and quality of the organisation. The milk cup is in youth football terms a fantastic competition.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner