Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I think that article just shows how blind he is to what people think of him or what he does or says.
Immediately after he made the Sean Cav rant his three peers all said the same thing that they would have done the same or expect their players to do the same.
Joe however blocks out other people's point of view if it doesn't further his cause. Not only did he ignore his peers opinion, in this article he says RTE backed up his judgement.
The night I lost my temper with Tyrone and Seán Cavanagh is something I could never see happening on Sky. They'd have said, 'Well, Big Seán did what he had to do' or 'he showed all his experience out there, what a player he is'. When Sky tell us to 'Believe in Better', what exactly do they really mean?

He is probably right though about Jim going way OTT with the control stuff but it makes you wonder what the hell Donegal were up to that they're so secretive.
I'm afraid I'm checked out from listening to Joe's self fulfilling bullshit.
Its a pity that he's gone down this road as he can be very funny but as he shows in this article he's totally out if control.
http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-dictator-jim-mcguinness-is-one-to-talk-about-respect-31266683.html

cockahoop

What i find amusing is the posters who dislike brolly and call him for everything yet they still read and listen to him!!! strange

DermyTDredi

Quote from: JoG2 on June 01, 2015, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: DermyTDredi on May 31, 2015, 11:57:10 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 31, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: DermyTDredi on May 31, 2015, 01:24:55 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 29, 2015, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 29, 2015, 02:40:20 PM
Quote from: DermyTDredi on May 28, 2015, 04:54:41 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 28, 2015, 04:06:44 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 28, 2015, 02:55:10 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on May 28, 2015, 08:00:06 AM
Quote from: red hander on May 27, 2015, 06:03:57 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 27, 2015, 05:47:41 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 27, 2015, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: ck on May 27, 2015, 04:41:59 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 27, 2015, 04:33:30 PM
From the head of RTE Sport

QuoteI have spoken with Joe Brolly about the comments he made in relation to RTE Sport's GAA Correspondent and commentator Marty Morrissey on last weekend's Sunday Game Live broadcast. Joe is acutely aware that his ill-conceived attempt at humour was both inappropriate and extremely hurtful and had no place in any broadcast. Further, Joe is fully cognisant of the fact that similar comments in any future broadcast cannot and will not be tolerated.

Joe Brolly has spoken at length with and offered a heartfelt apology to Marty Morrissey which was graciously accepted.

All parties now consider this matter closed.

So RTE release a statement to cover their asses, meanwhile Joe laughs behind his hand. Bet Brolly wont be release a statement

joe is great at ridiculing in public and apologising in private. You may forget about him as a man.

His ego knows no bounds. The public apology was not even an apology it was an attempt to explain what the context of his statement was, he didn't express any regret or retract the statement.

Why apologise in private after publically ridiculing someone. What sort of man does that??

No man at all. I always thought it the ultimate irony his questioning of Big Sean's 'manfulness', this from a boy who wore the biggest pair of invisible wing mirrors ever when he was on a football pitch

Joe Brolly was and is many things, but the one thing he wasn't was a coward on the field. You mustn't have been watching too closely during the 90's when there was a lot more off the ball action taking place than there is in the current game.

I was watching closely enough, and there's nothing wrong with my or many other Tyrone people's memories

;D

110% not a coward on the pitch, far from it. Keep it up Tyrone people, a few of ye's talking poop in here wont rewrite history

As a tyrone fan, i wouldn't say that he was a coward on the pitch - better player than i'll ever be...and a medal to prove it too.

but he is a disingenuous treacherous lying hateful p***k - of that there is no doubt

??

I've consolidated the general jist of Dermy's posts so he can just copy and paste in as replies (save him a bit of time) :

I think its / you're / he / she is (delete were appropriate) a p***k c**k f**k c**k f**k p***k c**k f**k

Good work Jo...except the gist of my post was that he is treacherous, disingenuous and a liar...the p***k bit was there to help you relate to the smaller words

What lies has he told?

He is a media clown - saying one thing to one man and another to the next - and that is from personal experience of him in belfast. he has a way with words for sure, but has an unfortunately high self opinion, even when you get up close to him, which I have been on many occasions. His benevolence within the GAA is legendary, and he gives to his old club, and to st brigids flat out - mostly under the radar, but he has made a living this last few years talking down people on TV when they cannot retaliate - he slags off to the hundreds of thousands and apologises behind closed doors....there are many examples of him telling lies...i couldn't care less about the Tyrone derry thing, nor his slagging of us for that matter, but i can't stand his "hail fellow, well met" shite in the media...he just makes stuff up without validation and presents it all as fact, and 70% of the GAA wold run around believing it.

You're Brolly-lite

Quote from: rrhf on June 01, 2015, 05:37:46 AM
Yes the derry golden year video. Does anyone know anyone who will convert vhs to dvd?

Youse have spoiled us with talent over the years and for that the entire country is grateful,  Hugo, Philomena, Janet Devlin, Cush, Micky & The Sledgers and Baldy Pete & His Diving Ensemble  8)

you see what i did there?/

BluestackBoy

Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 01, 2015, 09:09:22 AM
Anyone expecting Jim to reply? Joe has some ego on him.

I can guarantee you here & now there will be no reply from Jim.

Whatever about his ego, he has more sense, not to mention class, than to get drawn into a slagging match with Motormouth the schoolyard bully.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

DermyTDredi

Quote from: BluestackBoy on June 01, 2015, 12:29:21 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on June 01, 2015, 09:09:22 AM
Anyone expecting Jim to reply? Joe has some ego on him.

I can guarantee you here & now there will be no reply from Jim.

Whatever about his ego, he has more sense, not to mention class, than to get drawn into a slagging match with Motormouth the schoolyard bully.

+1

5 Sams

Tommy O'Hare stirring the shit over on Twitter!  ;D
The Aristocrat Years

J70

So is Brolly saying that The Sunday Game pundits cannot have ANY restraints or they will turn into Sky? They have to be free to say whatever they want, without any filter whatsoever?

I agree with him that they need to have license to be fearless in their commentary, but that doesn't mean they have to actively court controversy for its own sake.

Snapchap

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 01, 2015, 10:14:44 AM
http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-dictator-jim-mcguinness-is-one-to-talk-about-respect-31266683.html

Much and all as he apologised for his comments about Marty Morrisey at the start of his piece; I find it quite pathetic that he goes on to write a full column on the noble concepts of freedom of speech and freedom of expression and openness and honesty etc etc etc; all of which strikes me as quite lofty arguments to put forward in apparent defence of his right to call one of his broadcasting colleagues 'ugly', and which, to me, makes his claims to contriteness at the start of the article seem very odd, dishonest and self-serving.

Fuzzman

Exactly Snapchat.
He can't see any plank in his own eye and has spent his whole life used to getting his own way.
In some ways he has used this to good effect like after the kidney failed he went after more people to donate.

BennyHarp

Brollys articles this week have been a sanctimonious pile of shite. His excuse, in the GL article, for calling Marty 'ugly' was that him and Thomas O'Se where having such fun and banter that he forgot he was going live and continued his jovial nature on air. This was backed up by him writing about a text he received from Thomas the next day in which o'Se not only confirmed how much fun Joe himself is to hang around with but essentially thanked him for making his job with RTE such fun too. Nauseating stuff!

With regards to his Independent article, does he really think free speech extends to commenting personally about people on live TV like his comments about Marty, Colm O'Rourke and Sean Cavanagh?  He's there to analyse football not make personal comments about individuals. If he did his job correctly there should be no need to even think about the right to free speech ffs. His head is so far up his own ass at this stage, banging on about free speech, that he has lost all semblance of reality. I think it's time to get rid of this bluffer.
That was never a square ball!!

Armamike

Free speech?  He's not living in North Korea ffs. He's turning this into something it's not. He ridiculed someone on air (again), got called out over it, which was quite correct. You just can't say stuff like that about people on camera, anyone with a bit of wit would realise that and move on. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

rrhf

I actually think brolly has a point here.  What sky have done to garlic and free speech is an absolute disgrace.   

mylestheslasher

Saddest attempt at spin I've read in a long time. Time for Brolly to piss off back where he came from and lets get someone on the Sunday game with something interesting to say. I'm done listening to him.

Any craic

Here's an insight into how Joe's mind works.. I once worked on a TV programme where Joe was the special guest on a recorded midweek BBC Show. In rehearsals, I introduced Joe and he thought it would be funny to say that he was happy to be in a studio of the 'national broadcaster'. We rehearsed this a few times and then went 'Live'. The titles rolled and I introduced Joe who surprised us all by changing tack completely and saying 'there's a lot of purple lights in here, it's like a gay hairdressers'. Did he do it mischievously or does he just say whatever comes into his mind? I think it's more the latter. Joe has a very creative mind and goes into a zone where he finds funny and unique ways to describe things. He also feels justified in saying whatever he wants, whether people like it or not. This cocktail means that he has entertained and offended, in pretty much equal measure. I've said it before - we are lucky to have him, but we also know what we are going to get with him. More importantly, RTE know what they are going to get and they only reprimanded him when he insulted one of their own. In conclusion, Joe is Joe. It's only TV, not worth getting too upset about.

maigheo

not sure how you come to the conclusion that we are lucky to have him.Any body that is serious about  football would not be looking to Brolly for any insightful analysis .His article in the Sindo is the biggest load of rubbish that I have read in a long time and I will not be making the mistake of reading hiis articles again.