Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 22, 2013, 06:01:47 PM
Amazing that there are so many GAA people who apparently would wish to see an association with no flags flown at matches, no national anthem before matches, and no clubs named after Irish patriots or after Irish saints. Basically, a GAA without any semblance of soul, tradition or identity. Should we try to avoid any use of the Irish Language too because surely that's just a "dead language" and a bit too openly culturally Irish and sure it's use might upset Jim Allister too?  ::)

I mean, posters even complaining about clubs being named after saints? Really?! Does it actually annoy you or does it just make you feel mature and forward thinking to regard clubs being named after saints as somehow outdated or politically exclusive or just not secular enough or just a bit too Irish? Or is down to an irresistible urge to pander to every 'little n.Irelander' who rings into the Nolan show who has no interest in GAA beyond attacking it and who wouldn't join a GAA club if they could chose the name of it themselves?
Christ I agree with Nally...I need a doctor.

Wildweasel74

I remember when we were doing our official field opening years ago, and were putting up the tricolour for the day, it was brought up should we inform the local protestant famers as not to offend them. Anyway we decided to do this and none of them had a problem, think they were actually impressed that we had bothered to ensure we woudlnt offend them, Unionists in city areas would have zero conception of the gaa and what it means, they go out of their way to be offended

EC Unique

Amazing that there are so many GAA people who apparently would wish to see an association with no flags flown at matches, no national anthem before matches, and no clubs named after Irish patriots or after Irish saints. Basically, a GAA without any semblance of soul, tradition or identity. Should we try to avoid any use of the Irish Language too because surely that's just a "dead language" and a bit too openly culturally Irish and sure it's use might upset Jim Allister too?  ::)

I mean, posters even complaining about clubs being named after saints? Really?! Does it actually annoy you or does it just make you feel mature and forward thinking to regard clubs being named after saints as somehow outdated or politically exclusive or just not secular enough or just a bit too Irish? Or is down to an irresistible urge to pander to every 'little n.Irelander' who rings into the Nolan show who has no interest in GAA beyond attacking it and who wouldn't join a GAA club if they could chose the name of it themselves?

Excellent post.

Joe is dead right here. If you don't like aspects of the GAA tough. Either learn to accept it or go away to some other organisation. Some people really don't seem to know or understand what the GAA is about or what it stands for.

ONeill

Amazing that there are so many GAA people who apparently would wish to see an association with no flags flown at matches, no national anthem before matches, and no clubs named after Irish patriots or after Irish saints.

Jaysus you keep some company. I've yet to meet one of those people.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RealSpiritof98

Brolly on Twitter tonight

''One of the worst things to emerge from the Troubles is Stephen Nolan''

Brolly really getting back into my good books,

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 24, 2013, 12:03:28 AM
Amazing that there are so many GAA people who apparently would wish to see an association with no flags flown at matches, no national anthem before matches, and no clubs named after Irish patriots or after Irish saints.

Jaysus you keep some company. I've yet to meet one of those people.

Straw man in extremis?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

What's this obsession people have with this Stephen Nolan?

I watched him or heard his programme a few years back and thought it was crap - but he was a master of tapping into people's darkest sectarian tendencies and making a name for himself through it. Smart man.

I haven't watched or heard him since in the same way I haven't watched Loose Wemen since that one time....

Tell a lie - I saw the bit where Joe Brolly was on his show promoting his donation campaign.

Edit: Just looked at Joe's twitter account - some kind of risky banter involving legal teams???
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

OakleafCounty

I think the GAA should and will always promote Irish culture but plenty of us don't consider dead Republican volunteers to represent our Irish culture and identity. In fact some of us consider those people to have hijacked our culture and identity.

Another thing I consider out of date is the national anthem before every game. I'm all for it on All-Ireland final day and provincial finals but can't be arsed with it before national league games.

muppet

Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 24, 2013, 09:05:02 AM
I think the GAA should and will always promote Irish culture but plenty of us don't consider dead Republican volunteers to represent our Irish culture and identity. In fact some of us consider those people to have hijacked our culture and identity.

Another thing I consider out of date is the national anthem before every game. I'm all for it on All-Ireland final day and provincial finals but can't be arsed with it before national league games.

It is great for a young lad to parade around for the first time before a match and then have the anthem, but I do think it would be better if it was limited to County Finals, Provincial Finals etc.
MWWSI 2017

No Soloing

Quote from: OakleafCounty on October 24, 2013, 09:05:02 AM

I would be happy limiting the anthem to All-Ireland & Provincial Finals - county & club. It would help signify that these games are a bit more important.
Playing it in-between the two games in a senior club double-header has always baffled me - why not play it before both, or why is it only necessary before the bigger of the two ties (maybe this is only a Derry thing?). Playing a crackly record over the PA system doesnt seem to happen as often any more.

Jinxy

Is America the only other country where they regularly play/sing the national anthem before games involving two domestic teams?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

America is unreal for it. I have to say the Hockey games anthems are great auld atmosphere builders, especially the Canadian Anthem when a team from there is involved. However the anthem before every pro game seems to be crazy. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think the anthem is played before college games, unless it's a big bowl game..

Edit, actually it seems I'm wrong. The SSB is played before all of these games too, even though I can't seem to remember it at all. I certainly remember it at the Pro Sports, but I think it's because they make a bigger production out of it.

At big games, which would be worthy of the anthem being played, they up the ante by having a flyover or something mad like that.

No Soloing

Quote from: Jinxy on October 24, 2013, 01:45:33 PM
Is America the only other country where they regularly play/sing the national anthem before games involving two domestic teams?

I went to see Manchester Storm play ice hockey when I lived there, so mid-late 90s. Against Basingstoke I think. They played the British anthem beforehand - I wasnt expecting it! Sat in my seat while the rest of the crowd stood.
I have watched Belfast Giants and there was no anthem. I dont know if the anthem is played before all main ice hockey games (minus Belfast) - suppose its an American thing they imported.

AZOffaly

Quote from: No Soloing on October 24, 2013, 02:34:14 PM

I went to see Manchester Storm play ice hockey when I lived there, so mid-late 90s. Against Basingstoke I think. They played the British anthem beforehand - I wasnt expecting it! Sat in my seat while the rest of the crowd stood.
I have watched Belfast Giants and there was no anthem. I dont know if the anthem is played before all main ice hockey games (minus Belfast) - suppose its an American thing they imported.

Just out of interest, why did you do that? Would you remain seated for the French or Spanish anthem? I don't think it's a great sacrifice to at least show due respect to another countries anthem.

No Soloing

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 24, 2013, 02:40:37 PM
Quote from: No Soloing on October 24, 2013, 02:34:14 PM

Just out of interest, why did you do that? Would you remain seated for the French or Spanish anthem? I don't think it's a great sacrifice to at least show due respect to another countries anthem.

15 odd years ago I was a fair bit more republican (with a small r) - priorities have changed since I have got older and had a family so I've mellowed quite a bit
I am from the north so beside all the obvious guff that the British establishment laid on the lives of nationalists/republicans, I presume would be more used to having British/Royal stuff rammed down my throat than someone from Offaly - it gives the anthem the obvious link with parades, flegs etc - so I have no respect for the anthem
I was stopped and searched by the British Army (and cops) countless times as a youth/young adult - on a weekly basis while at uni in the 90s (ring of steel) - and aul Liz is nominally the head of the army
The Brit anthem at the time was a bit of an issue. They were calls for it not to be played at graduations at Queens and Uni of Ulster. At ceremonies there were situations were some people stood, some sat and some didnt know what to do. So I was far from the first northern Catholic not to stand for Gstq.

So those kind of things along with the general disdain for the British royalty and their anthem meant I was never and am never likely to stand for the anthem. Here was a chance to take a stand (or sit in this case) - so I was taking it
I would have seen it as a great sacrifice if I was to stand - I would have been hypocritical to stand.
I did the same at my wife's graduation.

I am ambivalent to the French or Spanish anthem so would happily stand for it.