Laois minor hurlers 2015

Started by Tobias, March 09, 2015, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Great move by Pat to go back to developing the younger groups but the candidates I have heard that are  being put forward for the minor position are of a very poor managerial standard IMO. We cannot afford to mess around with these young lads.

Keyser Söze

Just out of curiosity and not being overly critical what evidence is there of Pat's excellent managerial ability?
Is he slightly over rated in terms of management ability?
I'm not questioning his interests, intentions, work ethic, honesty or anything like that. But to be honest it seemed like the Minor job was his for as long as he wanted it.
I felt some of the minor selections and positioning in the past 12-18 months were particularly bizarre. I'm not going to go into names or anything it would be dreadfully unfair on young lads.

I have no personal axe to grind with Pat, but I do think his managerial achievements/ability are a little over rated.

Who are the potential replacements? I had heard Arien Delaney (which surely would be a decent appointment?)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

blueandwhite1

Arien Delaney would definitely be a good man to have involved with the minors. Plenty of passion and knows how to organize a team (e.g. Camross in the county final this year).

Pat Critchley is worth his weight in gold. Hope he stays involved for as long as he possibly can. Great that he is going back to the development squads which is where the most work is done and needed.

finbar o tool

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 17, 2015, 01:30:47 PM
Just out of curiosity and not being overly critical what evidence is there of Pat's excellent managerial ability?
Is he slightly over rated in terms of management ability?
I'm not questioning his interests, intentions, work ethic, honesty or anything like that. But to be honest it seemed like the Minor job was his for as long as he wanted it.
I felt some of the minor selections and positioning in the past 12-18 months were particularly bizarre. I'm not going to go into names or anything it would be dreadfully unfair on young lads.

I have no personal axe to grind with Pat, but I do think his managerial achievements/ability are a little over rated.

Who are the potential replacements? I had heard Arien Delaney (which surely would be a decent appointment?)

kind of agree here, again, no real issue with Pat, but the year before last we definitely should have beat KK in portlaosie and didnt. not sure if hes all that...

i think there is another issue in that we dont have loads of good options to replace him? also, i have never coached an intercounty side but i imagine it is a bit more daunting/difficult to do as opposed to doing a job within your own club.
Arien Delaney has been a great manager for Camross, he would know Camross and knows what makes them tick very well, not sure if he would have the same impact at intercounty.
but i could be wrong! 
Tony Doran was mentioned i believe. seems to have done well with BK minors and got us to an U21 leinster final when he was over the Laois U21s couple of years ago. but there always seems to be a few moaning about him for one reason or another. Justin Kavanagh from RE was another name mentioned but again, could all be just rumors.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

LOVEGAA

Any word on who got management position for the minors? Seems to be taking a long time considering they were training about this time last year

Helix

Quote from: LOVEGAA on October 20, 2015, 09:42:10 AM
Any word on who got management position for the minors? Seems to be taking a long time considering they were training about this time last year

It was pure madness having them back training so early: especially at 16-17 years. Hardly any good for their mental health at such a young age, let alone introduction to player burnout. By the time Kilkenny match came around this year I bet you they were sick of it and fatigued.
Mind you I heard the u16 management moving up to minor possibly on the cards for 2016. Other posters will be able to tell you their names I imagine.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

LOVEGAA

I agree it was too early...... didnt stand to them against kilkenny anyway. Between club and county its a big commitment for this age group and very hard to keep high level of intensity going for that long.