Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 05, 2018, 04:22:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2018, 03:58:05 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on August 05, 2018, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 05, 2018, 03:08:28 PM
Some goal from O'Donnell. Clare somehow back in it after all their wides.

Steps and fouled the sliotar.

Just watched it again, ref played advantage from the foul and he didn't foul the sliotar

You can't overcarry on advantage.

Count the steps
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Super win. Being on top is about grinding out results regardless of the optics.  Clare will be sickened with all the wides. They have real class in that team.
In 16 and 17 the real final was the semi. Wonder will it be the same this year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on August 05, 2018, 06:24:57 PM
Super win. Being on top is about grinding out results regardless of the optics.  Clare will be sickened with all the wides. They have real class in that team.

Jaysus, sickening arrogance.

Limerick are delighted Clare were beaten. They think they match up well with Galway. They don't like Clare's running game.

imtommygunn

To be fair SF is not your typical Galway fan AZ so I doubt the majority feel like that. Limerick are probably a better team than Clare.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: seafoid on August 05, 2018, 06:24:57 PM
Limerick are a better team than Clare IMHO and we will have our hands full with them in the final - it will be one hell of a physical encounter - 50:50 game

galwayman

Has the makings of a cracking final.

seafoid

Psychologically it will be interesting. After the 73 All Ireland Limerick had 7. Galway had one. Limerick had some very good hurlers since then but the gap is now 2.  Limerick have to get over the reason they haven't won since 1973 in order to win the next day.

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 08:42:13 PM
They're usually a lot better than Clare were today anyway. It wasn't just their shooting. They were so sloppy. First touch was off, passing askew and often 2nd to the ball. That they were in with a shout at the end of that game was quite remarkable.
Yeah and in the end they blew it. Galway should really have put them away convincingly both days but hitting the post and that Duggan free should have won them it.

Capt Pat

Clare had 19 wides to 13 for Galway. That statistic shows the difference between the teams. However something I would look at is why Podge Collins was given 63 minutes to score one point while Shanagher was given only the remainder of the game to make an impact. Shanagher at this point in time looks a much more effective scoring forward. I don't really see what Podge offers to be honest.

sid waddell

Limerick have all the ingredients needed to beat Galway. It's just a question of whether they're ready yet.

I think might be.

Today was the third game in a row that Galway started brilliantly but let the opposition back into the game. I don't think they'll be getting any big lead against Limerick and I think Limerick will be able to stand up to them physically. Limerick play a nice mix and match style - they can run it and they can go long, they have the hurling and the have the fight, and I fancy their full forward line could cause serious problems for the Galway backs. Great bench too.

Clare really blew that today - for me they were the more dominant team in both games and should have closed it out, particularly today. A sickening defeat for them. Chances like that are rare, especially now with Munster being an absolute bear pit.

sid waddell

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 05, 2018, 09:53:54 PM
Clare had 19 wides to 13 for Galway. That statistic shows the difference between the teams. However something I would look at is why Podge Collins was given 63 minutes to score one point while Shanagher was given only the remainder of the game to make an impact. Shanagher at this point in time looks a much more effective scoring forward. I don't really see what Podge offers to be honest.
I'd rate Aaron Cunningham higher than him too - he's in the US at the moment though.

Podge has been living off past glories for a long time. Everything seemed to come together for him in '13 but he's been a shadow of that ever since.

Tony Kelly has too to a lesser extent. Kelly had a bit of a nightmare today. He wasted two balls in the last minute of injury time alone. Instead of calmly working through the field as Clare did for their equaliser at the end of the first game, Kelly just launched it and it went wide. He's a phenomenal player at his best but he's far too inconsistent and Clare don't seem to know how to get the best from him.

imtommygunn

Kelly sometimes strikes me as a luxury player. The last day I felt that McInerney made hay because they gave Kelly a roving position meaning McInerney could clean a lot of ball up. On his day though he is fantastic. Perhaps would be better in a WHF position and maybe they haven't found the best place for him like you say.

Collins was better today than the first day but I do wonder if that knee injury he had has slowed him down as I am not entirely convinced he is up to the pace of that standard of hurling.

GalwayBayBoy

Very proud of the hurlers. Including replay's this will be their 5th All-Ireland final in 7 years for some of them. Not an old side by any means but some of them do have milage in those legs. A seriously tough outfit though. The amount of tight games they win is crazy. Is that 4 All-Ireland semi-finals won by a point now? And they lost one by a point as well.

I think Limerick will be tipped by many and I wouldn't blame them but they won't get anything easy on AI final day. You can be sure of that.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: sid waddell on August 05, 2018, 09:54:53 PM
Clare really blew that today - for me they were the more dominant team in both games and should have closed it out, particularly today.

The led for around 1 minute over 160+ minutes of hurling. I mean it was close but they were pretty much always playing catch up.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on August 05, 2018, 09:54:53 PM
Limerick have all the ingredients needed to beat Galway. It's just a question of whether they're ready yet.

I think might be.

Today was the third game in a row that Galway started brilliantly but let the opposition back into the game. I don't think they'll be getting any big lead against Limerick and I think Limerick will be able to stand up to them physically. Limerick play a nice mix and match style - they can run it and they can go long, they have the hurling and the have the fight, and I fancy their full forward line could cause serious problems for the Galway backs. Great bench too.

Clare really blew that today - for me they were the more dominant team in both games and should have closed it out, particularly today. A sickening defeat for them. Chances like that are rare, especially now with Munster being an absolute bear pit.

Clare reminded me of Mayo in their finals with the Dubs which were also lost by one point. You have to convert chances in the last 10 Minutes. One point can be a chasm. For years Galway were in the other seat, psychologically weaker,never sure they could hold on until the end. Clare are very talented but they have more work to do.

Munster is 3/5 qualifiers under the new system so easier than winner takes all or Munster finalists only