Laser Eye Surgey

Started by supersarsfields, September 09, 2013, 03:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Just wondering have many on here had this done? Have been speaking to a few who have had it done and have said it was one of the best decisions they ever made. Haven't been speaking to anyone who hasn't been successful though. I actually got  a consultation about 4 years ago but was told I was unsuitable. But with a few changes in the process I'm now ok to have it done. Would still be nervous about the opertaion itself.

Syferus

Quote from: supersarsfields on September 09, 2013, 03:02:12 PM
Just wondering have many on here had this done? Have been speaking to a few who have had it done and have said it was one of the best decisions they ever made. Haven't been speaking to anyone who hasn't been successful though. I actually got  a consultation about 4 years ago but was told I was unsuitable. But with a few changes in the process I'm now ok to have it done. Would still be nervous about the opertaion itself.

The worst thing I ever did was look at the process of the surgery, though you could scare yourself shitless doing the same for any number of operations. Every procedure has some rate of complications so that shouldn't be too heavy of a deciding factor.

Always been interested by laser but for now the ol' specs and contacts will suffice. I always wonder how many athletes and people of all walks of life would be totally screwed if they had been born even 150 years earlier. Such a common and correctable flaw played havoc with peoples' lives for thousands of years.

An Gaeilgoir

The missus got it done about 6 years ago, did the two eyes together, she had "arc- eye" for two days, since them no problems at all, it worked perfectly..............i know there are certain conditions that can not be cured using it..........

All of a Sludden

I am going to need to do something soon, the eyesight is starting to go. Can't see me wearing glasses, but I'm not sure if I could go through with the surgery.
Not sure if all of these guys are still around, but I recently searched the board for this very subject. Maybe those that are still active could let us know how they are getting on.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4981.0
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

supersarsfields

Aye I was just looking at that, it was me that started that thread as well  :D . Hard to believe it was 6 years ago and not 4!! I actually forgot I'd started one previously on the subject.
Also would be interested in hearing what people have paid previously. I think I've managed to get a good deal going on what I've heard. But the prices can vary by nearly £2K for the same treatments. A PM would do if they don't want to put the price up here. Can't believe there is so much variation in the prices for the same procedure. I was being quoted a "bottom line" price by one of the companies, and only I knew someone else who had the same op done in the summer who paid £700 less, that would have been the best price I would have got. Once I mentioned this person's details, they dropped to match the price straight away.

Shamrock Shore

It's a difficult one.

I'm in my mid 40s and my eyesight is all over the shop.

Need glasses as I am short sighted (-2.75 and -2.50 approx) but I find that me and all my peers are taking off glasses to see anything up close like reading, alarm codes, fixing the nick nacks around the house etc. It means that for most of my working day (on the computer, writing etc) I am without specs.

So I would be worried that my eyes are totally unsuitable as I only need glasses for telly and general gadding about the place and driving of course.

Then in 5 years time what happens as I hit my 50s? Would the money spend have been a waste of time as I go long sighted like all the auld wans do?

Dougal Maguire

Wife had it done about 8 years ago. She was very short sighted and it cured her completely.
Careful now

Orior

When I got my eyes tested recently the optician told me that I was short sighted.

"What does that mean?"

"You cannot see things which are far away"

"Feck off - I can see the moon and that is far enough"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

squire_in_navy_slacks

Not eligible for laser surgery as the corneas are too thin on the eye, have to wear scleral lenses which sit on the white of the cornea.................................and needed an operation on the right cornea which I got done a cple of months ago............................................ blind without the lenses...................

look after your eyes buckos and thread carefully when it comes to surgery as its irreversible what works for some doesn't always work for others

T Fearon

Niece had it done a few years ago,in early 20s,and no problems reported

trueblue1234

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2013, 11:12:46 AM
Niece had it done a few years ago,in early 20s,and no problems reported

Rule 1......
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Cold tea

Quote from: All of a Sludden on September 09, 2013, 03:46:14 PM
I am going to need to do something soon, the eyesight is starting to go. Can't see me wearing glasses, but I'm not sure if I could go through with the surgery.
Not sure if all of these guys are still around, but I recently searched the board for this very subject. Maybe those that are still active could let us know how they are getting on.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=4981.0

Vanity is an awful thing.  ;)

supersarsfields

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on September 09, 2013, 08:53:28 PM
Not eligible for laser surgery as the corneas are too thin on the eye, have to wear scleral lenses which sit on the white of the cornea.................................and needed an operation on the right cornea which I got done a cple of months ago............................................ blind without the lenses...................

look after your eyes buckos and thread carefully when it comes to surgery as its irreversible what works for some doesn't always work for others

Squire when did you last get checked? I got a check a few years ago and was told the same. But went again last week and with the new changes in the technology, their parameters have changed, and they can now do the operation on previously unsuitable customers.

heganboy

Had it done 6 years ago. Delighted with it. Girl I know has had a mare. No tv or computer for a year
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ha ha derry

Any updates on this topic ? I've been for the examination and been recommended for lens replacement surgery. The only thing scares me is the price. I will have it done, but would consider travelling for the procedure if I could save ££