Tyrone v Derry - Sunday 12th May - Omagh 4.00pm

Started by tyroneman, April 29, 2019, 01:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

GJL

Quote from: Main Street on May 03, 2019, 11:40:07 AM
Tyrone vs Derry just don't have that box office appeal, not even Sky could hype this game up.

The first televised game will be Monaghan v Cavan, a real rivalry, one that has endured.

Fixed that for you.

If Tyrone were playing a team that could give them a game it would be on TV.

thebuzz

Quote from: GJL on May 03, 2019, 02:14:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 03, 2019, 11:40:07 AM
Tyrone vs Derry just don't have that box office appeal, not even Sky could hype this game up.

The first televised game will be Monaghan v Cavan, a real rivalry, one that has endured.

Fixed that for you.

If Tyrone were playing a team that could give them a game it would be on TV.

Just because we're crap doesn't mean the rivalry hasn't endured over the years.  :) ;) :)

Captain Obvious

Fuzzman

Isn't it sad how we have lost this rivalry.
Having gone to school in Derry (like Dooher) but coming from Tyrone, there was great excitement and rivalry when I went to UUJ in the 90s and had loads of Derry friends.
I remember driving to the "13 men" game with 2 Derry mates and a Tyrone mate. It was some craic on the way back and not only did they have to put up with us that afternoon, they also lived with us in Belfast and we just arrived in the door in time to watch it all again on the BBC Championship.
They had their big wins over us as well and sometimes the rivalry got a little heated. Then Armagh came along and took over their mantle and Derry fell away.

You would imagine Derry will have to go all guns blazing this Sunday and try to show us no respect otherwise it will be another one sided affair.
The temptation I suppose is for them to get 13 men behind the ball and make it hard for us to score.
Over the years I have found first round games, especially in Omagh rarely go as to plan. Nobody wants to see a one sided affair

Redhand Santa

Rivalry can go in cycles, if Derry can start to turn underage success into a decent senior team there is no reason why it won't pick up again.

You have to expect Tyrone to win this week but it could be closer than people think. Tyrone have had some poor first round performances over the years and for the first time in a while Derry have had a settled team throughout the league. Hard to know what kind of game to expect. I don't think sticking 13 men behind the ball would do Derry any favours.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 07, 2019, 12:56:59 PM
Isn't it sad how we have lost this rivalry.
Having gone to school in Derry (like Dooher) but coming from Tyrone, there was great excitement and rivalry when I went to UUJ in the 90s and had loads of Derry friends.
I remember driving to the "13 men" game with 2 Derry mates and a Tyrone mate. It was some craic on the way back and not only did they have to put up with us that afternoon, they also lived with us in Belfast and we just arrived in the door in time to watch it all again on the BBC Championship.
They had their big wins over us as well and sometimes the rivalry got a little heated. Then Armagh came along and took over their mantle and Derry fell away.

You would imagine Derry will have to go all guns blazing this Sunday and try to show us no respect otherwise it will be another one sided affair.
The temptation I suppose is for them to get 13 men behind the ball and make it hard for us to score.
Over the years I have found first round games, especially in Omagh rarely go as to plan. Nobody wants to see a one sided affair

I do, give me another 11point hammering everyday of the week ;)

GetOverTheBar

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 08, 2019, 11:10:34 AM
Will this game sell out?

No. I'd say it'll be lucky to have much over 10,000 at it. Derry one's will fear a hammering and don't travel in big numbers anyway. Tyrone haven't got the support they once had and a lot will be banking on a lot of games ahead over the summer. I can't see Derry being as bad as people expect.

southtyronegael

Think the last 2 championship meetings had around 11 k at them. Far cry from the 30 k at 1996 Ulster semi.

toby47

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 08, 2019, 12:03:48 PM
Think the last 2 championship meetings had around 11 k at them. Far cry from the 30 k at 1996 Ulster semi.

What sort of crowd would you be expecting on Saturday?

I'm not sure you'll get 1000 Derry Supporters. If it had been Live on TV you could cut that figure even further.

southtyronegael

Quote from: toby47 on May 08, 2019, 12:32:24 PM

I'm not sure you'll get 1000 Derry Supporters. If it had been Live on TV you could cut that figure even further.
hardly be too many there Saturday but I'd say around 10 k on Sunday. Tyrone 1/10 favourites so alot of people will wait for a potential Donegal semi.

TheOptimist

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 08, 2019, 12:49:14 PM

hardly be too many there Saturday but I'd say around 10 k on Sunday. Tyrone 1/10 favourites so alot of people will wait for a potential Donegal semi.

These odds are crazy. This will could be closer than some think. Yes Derry were division 4 but they won every game and they are a young team that has won Ulster titles and been in All Ireland finals. They are a team of good footballers, on Sunday we will see how far off they actually are!

toby47

Quote from: southtyronegael on May 08, 2019, 12:49:14 PM

Oops, us Derry folk would maybe be better going on Saturday than Sunday

Jayop

Looking forward to this. The wee sneaky win against Dublin, albeit in the league, and the shift in gameplan has me excited for the year ahead. A bit disappointed young Canavan wont be featuring this year but I think it's the right decision. If we are going to go with Donnelly and McShane inside with Harte and Sludden supporting them then where would he realistically play. I think until he becomes undroppable he's going to struggle to make any real impact in the seniors just like a lot of the other really talented smaller forwards we've had recently.