So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 04, 2016, 09:45:26 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 03, 2016, 03:11:14 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 03, 2016, 03:09:59 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 03, 2016, 03:02:46 PM
What chance have the referee's if we can't definitively say which offences were black card offences and which weren't. Go to any match around the country now and you can often hear different supporters guessing whether it is going to be a yellow or a black card before the ref whips the card out of his pocket. It's like playing Russian roulette at times and the happy medium is to revisit the sin bin. The main reason it's abolition isn't being pushed forward in the media is because Brolly was intstrumental in getting it brought in and he won't accept that he was wrong and other pundits sat beside him are afraid to speak against it because of this reason. I would agree with Jim Gavin's post match comments in that the concept itself is fine, but the punishment for the player is often too excessive relative to the crime committed.
The main issue with the sin bin is that it is very hard to implement at club or underage level when there is only one official

Why so? It has long been in existence in ladies football with good success.

It's also at every level of rugby from u13 - Pro. Never any problems. That's a smokescreen.
If that is the case , then it would certainly be an improvement.
however, if used properly, i think the yellow card is a good enough deterrent for these fouls.
The problem is, the yellow card was never used properly before we decided to bring in the black card.

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on October 04, 2016, 02:05:12 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 04, 2016, 12:45:55 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 04, 2016, 09:37:04 AM
Is the main problem bad referees, inconsistent referees, refs using the rulebook as a guideline and implementing their own version, or referees scared of implementing the rules?
How many black cards issued for aggressive verbal abuse of officials?
How much better and cleaner would the game be if the 4 step rule was rigidly enforced?

Anything to be said for taking a rule from the Hurley stuff limiting the amount of times a player can play the ball to himself?

The more the ball is free in play the less need for tackling/pulling/dragging and referee's interpretations.

Then you'd just have two lads running up the field playing pass the parcel.

That would be an improvement on ten lads standing around in the middle of the field playing pass the parcel.

We need less 'pass the parcel' and more 'musical chairs', if you ask me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

maigheo

Had to laugh at Eugene McGees reaction to Jim McGuinness call for the black card to be abolished.He said that if McGuinness was so good why did he not win a second all ireland.I would say that in the history of  the GAA never has one man gained so much from winning 1 poxy all ireland 34 years ago

Jinxy

Esmarelda

"If he was that good why didn't he win a second All-Ireland or a third All-Ireland?"

Where do you start with a line like that?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 05, 2016, 10:53:35 AM
"If he was that good why didn't he win a second All-Ireland or a third All-Ireland?"

;D ;D ;D
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: maigheo on October 05, 2016, 01:51:08 AM
Had to laugh at Eugene McGees reaction to Jim McGuinness call for the black card to be abolished.He said that if McGuinness was so good why did he not win a second all ireland.I would say that in the history of  the GAA never has one man gained so much from winning 1 poxy all ireland 34 years ago

That wasn't a poxy All Ireland. That team had been getting progressively better year on year and made it count in 1982. Mayo could take a leaf out of their book. They also had one of the best players ever to play the game in Matt Connor. It's very disrespectful to call that team poxy.

yellowcard

This should be interesting. We know from history that Jimmy is not a man to bear a grudge!!!! Its anyone's guess as to what he makes of McGee's sly dig but I guess he'll have something to say back. If it helps highlight the problem with the black card then it can only be a good thing. McGee's comments were a cheap shot and a ridiculous one too.

maigheo

Yeah I know it wasn't a poxy all ireland .That remark was aimed at MCgee who hands down has to be the worst journalist of all time.

BennyHarp

Just shows the complete and utter ignorance of the man. Hardly surprising then that someone with such a backward mind like that is responsible for the black card - it all makes sense now. But seriously...... how on earth did this dinosaur get into a position of responsibility for implementing rule changes to the modern game? He only won one AI ffs, if he was that good he'd have won a second or third!!
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

If you were that good you'd know where to start.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 05, 2016, 12:19:49 PM

Just shows the complete and utter ignorance of the man. Hardly surprising then that someone with such a backward mind like that is responsible for the black card - it all makes sense now. But seriously...... how on earth did this dinosaur get into a position of responsibility for implementing rule changes to the modern game? He only won one AI ffs, if he was that good he'd have won a second or third!!

First of all rules are changed by delegates at Congress.
Secondly why should GAA decisions only be made by people with 2 or more All Ireland medals?

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

To keep the Rossies well away from the decision-making process.

Rossfan

Look how a Ros man got ye €36m off the soccers and rubbys  :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy