Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

I could be home me yet!!!!

ONeill

45 is a good age for culling teachers. By 40 you've seen it all. By 45 you're teaching lads born when you were well into your teaching career. You can't even talk to them about the 2002 World Cup or videos.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JimStynes

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Estimator on May 19, 2017, 02:36:29 PM
Teacher scheme legal challenge dismissed
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39976668

Well that's the end of that!

240 very angry teachers after this. The 120 young teachers who won't get a permanent job for September and 120 over 50s who had mentally left the building and will have to wait for next year to escape.

I also feel sorry for the teacher who took the case, he is a great teacher, super enthusiastic, willing to take on any class and even as a sub engaging in after school sport. He would be a real asset to any school well ahead of some 22 to 26 year old with minimal experience and no track record. Hope good luck comes his way soon.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: ONeill on May 19, 2017, 10:37:28 PM
45 is a good age for culling teachers. By 40 you've seen it all. By 45 you're teaching lads born when you were well into your teaching career. You can't even talk to them about the 2002 World Cup or videos.

Yep. Young enough to get a job in the real world before becoming completely institutionalised. Although if the 45 year old has spent 40 years in educational institutions the reprogramming required would be extensive. After 54 years in these institutions and after a year of freedom, I still think I can hear the bell!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: hardstation on May 19, 2017, 11:11:33 PM
Videos? AS students need lessons on using personal CD players ahead of their listening exams!

What's a personal CD player?

Farrandeelin

What's people's opinion on exemption from Irish in primary schools? Yet the same children go to secondary school and do French, German or whatever? Doesn't seem right to me.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 21, 2017, 09:13:52 AM
What's people's opinion on exemption from Irish in primary schools? Yet the same children go to secondary school and do French, German or whatever? Doesn't seem right to me.

Tell us a bit more.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 21, 2017, 08:39:40 PM

Tell us a bit more.

Probably just me 'defending' the Irish language, but it's down to the fact that the children have dyslexia and therefore have the choice of opting out of doing Irish, which is fine by me. It just annoys me when I see the same ones doing French in secondary. Maybe the fact it is beginner level or something that they go on and do it.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 21, 2017, 08:50:52 PM

Tell us a bit more.

Probably just me 'defending' the Irish language, but it's down to the fact that the children have dyslexia and therefore have the choice of opting out of doing Irish, which is fine by me. It just annoys me when I see the same ones doing French in secondary. Maybe the fact it is beginner level or something that they go on and do it.

It comes down to whether you believe that schools should become the guardians of the language or whether the schools reflect the needs and desires of the community that sustains it.  Personally, I believe in choice which is often the choice of the parents.  In a country where a child cannot enter the vast majority of primary schools if its parents did not have it baptised in the Catholic Church then I believe there needs to be a rethink on the role of the primary school within its community.  If a language cannot exist without being compulsory then there is a message that is not being listened to by those who believe they are in charge or the authority.

I know it is a diversion but an example of those in authority being apart from the community that sustains is the decision by the bishop to stop having funerals on Sundays.  It is time to realise that the community is the basis of much of life in Ireland and if it is ignored then it will start to break down.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/no-sunday-funerals-in-kerry-diocese-450178.html

johnneycool

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 22, 2017, 08:33:25 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 21, 2017, 08:50:52 PM

Tell us a bit more.

It comes down to whether you believe that schools should become the guardians of the language or whether the schools reflect the needs and desires of the community that sustains it.  Personally, I believe in choice which is often the choice of the parents.  In a country where a child cannot enter the vast majority of primary schools if its parents did not have it baptised in the Catholic Church then I believe there needs to be a rethink on the role of the primary school within its community.  If a language cannot exist without being compulsory then there is a message that is not being listened to by those who believe they are in charge or the authority.

I know it is a diversion but an example of those in authority being apart from the community that sustains is the decision by the bishop to stop having funerals on Sundays.  It is time to realise that the community is the basis of much of life in Ireland and if it is ignored then it will start to break down.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/no-sunday-funerals-in-kerry-diocese-450178.html

Are you sure about that?

I was talking to a VP of a Belfast Primary school about this and he says its not enforced at his school and its a CCMS school.

Owen Brannigan

It only applies in the RoI.  The OP was referring to Irish being compulsory for children in primary schools in RoI.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

In North, children of all faiths and none are equally admitted to Catholic schools.  Baptism certificates are required to participate in the sacraments, confession, communion and confirmation but children who are not catholics may be in the school if they wish.

armaghniac

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 22, 2017, 02:42:11 PM
It only applies in the RoI.  The OP was referring to Irish being compulsory for children in primary schools in RoI.

In North, children of all faiths and none are equally admitted to Catholic schools.  Baptism certificates are required to participate in the sacraments, confession, communion and confirmation but children who are not catholics may be in the school if they wish.

So what happens if the school is oversubscribed?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: armaghniac on May 22, 2017, 03:01:12 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 22, 2017, 02:42:11 PM

In North or South?

So what happens if the school is oversubscribed?