Ulster club championship

Started by charlieTully, October 30, 2022, 10:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 28, 2022, 10:08:59 AM
Kilcoo are operating at a different level than everyone and it shows that Down club football is miles ahead of everything in Ulster. I reckon the top 4/5 teams in Down would be in the top 10 in Ulster IMO  I fear for Glen in the final. Kilcoo by +5 in the final

Laughable when you sit down and think about it.
Down county team in Division 3.
Same as Fermanagh, Antrim and Cavan.
Kilcoo can cruise through Down .
No need to worry

Kilcoo have been winning down at their ease for a decade.
Took them 8 years to crack Ulster and get to this level.
To do that they have to peak now .
Down championships are seen as a formality.

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

mackers

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 28, 2022, 11:18:35 AM
Meant 2010....yeah we were having a holiday that year!
I thought yis only beat Cullyhanna by a point in a replay in 2010.  Must have dreamt it  :)
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Armagh18

Quote from: FermGael on November 28, 2022, 11:45:11 AM
Kilcoo are operating at a different level than everyone and it shows that Down club football is miles ahead of everything in Ulster. I reckon the top 4/5 teams in Down would be in the top 10 in Ulster IMO  I fear for Glen in the final. Kilcoo by +5 in the final

No need to worry

Kilcoo absolutely do not cruise through Down.

Maurice Moss

At the end of the day we do what we need to do to win Down.

In most games in the Down Championship teams set up quite defensively and it makes for a "negative and dour" game. It means we have to grind out results in Down, which we are well capable of doing.

When we get to Ulster, the teams try and have a go at winning instead of trying to play as defensively. This leads to a more open game, hence allowing our men to express themselves and play free flowing football we are also renowned for. We can still grind a result when needed because the fitness levels the squad has is mad.

We've been knocking about Ulster since 2009 and have the experience other Down teams don't have during that time. Teams need to win Down before stating they'd win Ulster or give it a good rattle. If a team other than us won Down they'd be out on the drink for a week. Our men were back training the Monday after winning Down. It is rare a team wins Ulster on the first go, you have to be there a few years (usually)

Truth hurts

No need to worry

If Laverty can get the buy in from the players then Down could be a division 1 side in 2 years.

Armagh18

Quote from: Maurice Moss on November 28, 2022, 11:58:15 AM
At the end of the day we do what we need to do to win Down.

In most games in the Down Championship teams set up quite defensively and it makes for a "negative and dour" game. It means we have to grind out results in Down, which we are well capable of doing.

When we get to Ulster, the teams try and have a go at winning instead of trying to play as defensively. This leads to a more open game, hence allowing our men to express themselves and play free flowing football we are also renowned for. We can still grind a result when needed because the fitness levels the squad has is mad.

We've been knocking about Ulster since 2009 and have the experience other Down teams don't have during that time. Teams need to win Down before stating they'd win Ulster or give it a good rattle. If a team other than us won Down they'd be out on the drink for a week. Our men were back training the Monday after winning Down. It is rare a team wins Ulster on the first go, you have to be there a few years (usually)
Yeah agree with that. Think its got to the stage in Down where beating Kilcoo is teams all ireland final they go all out for and in fairness Clonduff and the Point and others have been really close in recent years but Kilcoo have always had that bit extra and got the rub of the green when needed too.

The experience of playing in Ulster is invaluable as well, like you say if a new team won Down they'd be celebrating all week but Kilcoo have that many now they're focused on bigger things.

FermGael

Quote from: Truth hurts on November 28, 2022, 12:04:54 PM

No need to worry

If Laverty can get the buy in from the players then Down could be a division 1 side in 2 years.

Agree with that about Down but Down have operated without the Kilcoo players for a while now and that's where those players have them.

Kilcoo as well have been lucky with that .
Means their players get to rest and recover .

Would think that won't be the case next season
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

imtommygunn

I don't think Down are quite as good as that tbh. If those are the expectations on Laverty then I am not sure he will be a success.

I regularly talk to a Down clubperson who laments the standard of down club football. I am not sure it is what the poster here thinks it is.

toby47

Will Laverty get Kilcoo players to commit? How many will be on the panel?

Saul goodman

Don't think down is way ahead of any county in ulster

I think Tyrone prob has the most depth and quality to its county championship

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2022, 12:13:41 PM
I don't think Down are quite as good as that tbh. If those are the expectations on Laverty then I am not sure he will be a success.

I regularly talk to a Down clubperson who laments the standard of down club football. I am not sure it is what the poster here thinks it is.
It's brutal to watch. The quality in Armagh mightn't be great at times but you usually get decent games.

imtommygunn

I have heard it is terrible. I don't know the man but I think that guy Poacher has a lot to answer for by the sounds of it.

Armagh18

Anyword on dates/venue for final? Assuming 2 week gap and played in Armagh?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2022, 02:10:44 PM
Sun 11th Dec, 1pm, Athletic Grounds

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 28, 2022, 02:10:44 PM

In armagh yes, on 11th Dec at 1.00
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012