Tea

Started by Eamonnca1, May 02, 2022, 12:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: gerrykeegan on May 05, 2022, 05:50:40 PM
Anyone else love using loose tea leaves? Massive difference to the bags. I've a teapot with a filter. I've two different types of tea on the go but I have a Mullingar breakfast tea which is the nicest I've ever tasted. Can't go near coffee anymore.

Old fashioned way for me.
Boil the kettle
Scald the pot
Add the tea leaves
Add the hot water
Let the tea set
Enjoy in a mug

Main Street

Anyone else love using loose tea leaves? Massive difference to the bags. I've a teapot with a filter. I've two different types of tea on the go but I have a Mullingar breakfast tea which is the nicest I've ever tasted. Can't go near coffee anymore.
I'm a proud tea snob.
I buy a kilo at a time, undyed Earl Grey/Assam and use a nylon sock to contain the tea while it draws not stews in the pot. On occasion I'll use bags from Clipper or Pukka.
The tea in regular shop tea bags are colored  also much of the loose tea  and imo that accounts for that taste.
And where is the tea dyed, in unregulated India?
If the colour of the water changes immediately after bag is infused then the tea has been coloured.

What can be done in desperate times, first rinse out the dye from the bag before infusion and use two of them.

The Subbie

Quote from: weareros on May 05, 2022, 06:03:16 PM

Boil the kettle
Scald the pot
Add the tea leaves
Add the hot water
Let the tea set
Enjoy in a mug

Now we are into a different matter entirely
Let the tea set ??
Concrete "sets" ( it actually cures but that's a different discussion entirely)

You let the tea draw

ONeill

Wouldn't be fond of tea in a metal teapot which is reheated.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Main Street on May 05, 2022, 09:04:52 PM
I'm a proud tea snob.
I buy a kilo at a time, undyed Earl Grey/Assam and use a nylon sock to contain the tea while it draws not stews in the pot. On occasion I'll use bags from Clipper or Pukka.
The tea in regular shop tea bags are colored  also much of the loose tea  and imo that accounts for that taste.
And where is the tea dyed, in unregulated India?
If the colour of the water changes immediately after bag is infused then the tea has been coloured.

What can be done in desperate times, first rinse out the dye from the bag before infusion and use two of them.

We use the clipper bags. Got onto their green tea when on a health kick a while ago. Fella I was training with said to get them because the bags weren't bleached. Bought the everyday tea by mistake and never went away from it again. Kids drink a lot of tea so the pot get used a good bit in our house. Going to need a bigger kettle and pot soon to get 5 full mugs out of it.

GAABoardMod5

What about iced tea?  Or iced coffee? 

Not for me.

rosnarun

Quote from: weareros on May 05, 2022, 06:03:16 PM

Boil the kettle
Scald the pot
Add the tea leaves
Add the hot water
Let the tea set
Enjoy in a mug

I get that mullingar tea too, very tasty.
showing my age a bit but Growing up it was not uncommon for  a Grocer to blend his own tea and other places bough big sacks of Team of it and repackaged it under their own Name .
As fpr day to day tea when you dont have time for weareros's teas ceremony  Robertbrt Roberts Kenya blend is the way to Go
make to suit your own taste your the one drinking it .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Armamike

i Just drink decaff tea.  Thompsons.  Tastes fine to me. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 08:30:44 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 04, 2022, 08:18:28 PM
Surprised a few of the tea drinking posters use sugar 😬

Sugar was put in the cup when I was young (teens) then late teens stopped, remember having tea years ago and someone put sugar in, I nearly spat it out!

Tea with sugar (or sweet'ner for those new age hippy sorts) is sacrilage.
Sugar is only for coffee and coffee alone.

tbrick18

Quote from: johnnycool on May 05, 2022, 11:59:00 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on May 05, 2022, 03:35:26 AM
Quote from: PMG1 on May 05, 2022, 01:33:43 AM
What's the best Teabag? I would be a Yorkshire Tea man, but a bag of 1000 or so on Amazon, tiny bit of milk, steaming hot, can't be beat

Lyons or Barrys would be the main choice
Punjana or Nambarrie as well
That Yorkshire tea is a good option if none of the above are available ,as is tetleys
After that we are dicing with the devil as far as I am concerned

Hate Tetleys, Punjana for me up North.

Can't say i've ever saw Barrys Tea up North

Likewise.
Tetleys is like dishwater.
Not sure I've ever sampled Barrys!

Ever go to someone's house and they make you a cup of tea and it's pure p*sh? The sort of cup where they've just shown the cup of hot water the teabag as it passed by?
So disappointing and you feel you have to drink it anyway.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 08:30:44 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 04, 2022, 08:18:28 PM
Surprised a few of the tea drinking posters use sugar 😬

Sugar was put in the cup when I was young (teens) then late teens stopped, remember having tea years ago and someone put sugar in, I nearly spat it out!

I took sugar up to my mid twenties but I wouldn't have drank much tea then. Stopped it completely and I couldn't drink it sweet now.

For years the only time I felt like it needed sugar was with a fry up but I've got past that one too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 06, 2022, 12:02:40 PM
What's the best Teabag? I would be a Yorkshire Tea man, but a bag of 1000 or so on Amazon, tiny bit of milk, steaming hot, can't be beat

That Yorkshire tea is a good option if none of the above are available ,as is tetleys

Likewise.

Ever go to someone's house and they make you a cup of tea and it's pure p*sh? The sort of cup where they've just shown the cup of hot water the teabag as it passed by?

The ones I want to slap the most are the ones that put milk in first then bag then water!! I mean are they deranged?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Subbie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 06, 2022, 12:08:46 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 06, 2022, 12:02:40 PM

Likewise.

The ones I want to slap the most are the ones that put milk in first then bag then water!! I mean are they deranged?

Yeah couldn't be doing with that at all at all
I'm one of them grumpy hoors that if I am asked do I want tay I'll always say yes then tell you how to make the tay if I think you are deviating from acceptable tay making procedure

Life is too short to be putting up with bad tay
If you are offered a cup of tay always take it

Simple rules that help me thru the journey of life

tbrick18

Best thread on here in a long time.

Dainty Cup or manly mug?

thebar

Love the old tae...had a mug for work but couldn't hold a great pile was up every hour to the kettle to fill er up...woman got me one of them cup flasks tall boy things...some job holds twice as much and you could leave her over night and she would still be warm.