Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 09, 2022, 12:04:14 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 09, 2022, 10:37:34 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2022, 10:31:10 AM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on May 09, 2022, 10:19:42 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2022, 09:58:53 AM
Marty I think tuv only getting one seat a big thing for the dup. In the next election, which unfortunately could be six months away, they can present the tuv as not being a serious option and may get more on the back of it.

The dup are not and never have been serious about power sharing. The ni protocol is a red herring to get them out of it. Stormont can do nothing so it makes no sense but they know that.

Franko I sometimes think he's a bot.

Why should there be another election in 6 months' time? Just because the DUP didn't get what they wanted in not coming out on top. Do we keep voting until the DUP win most seats? If there is another election I hope SF push on and pull in an even bigger vote. Unionists (for all persuasions) are telling nationalists this morning they do not have the right to hold the FM post. We are still viewed as inferior in their eyes. That is the naked truth of it. The protocol is a smokescreen they are hiding behind. All Nationalist parties need to call this out over the coming days.
Elections follow the rules. NI had an election in 2016 and another one in 2017 because Deputy FM Martin McGuinness resigned over RHI
That seriously needs looked at. Just a shame Alliance didnt take a few more seats and become second party.

I'd agree with that, the rules around this are not working.
But, to change the rules they all have to agree to change them!
The problem Alliance have, if they did become the second largest party, they couldn't take the DFM role as they are not designated Nationalist/Unionist. That, imo, is wrong too.
Times have moved on from the 90's and the dark days of the troubles and what was suitable then isn't necessarily suitable now in terms of these governmental structures.

The SDLP don't seem to have anything to offer at the moment. Yes there would have been some votes gone to SF in an attempt to get the FM role, but I honestly believe that due to the type of campaign SDLP held, it made it very difficult for SF voters to give them a transfer vote. Instead opting for the more moderate Alliance. SDLP almost mirrored DUP tactics in attacking SF at every opportunity. That would rub a lot of nationalists the wrong way.

DUP are being publicly found out on their true opinion on power sharing and government. It's power sharing as long as they get their way and they have the top job. They have nowhere to go unless the British government offers something up on the protocol.
I did hear on the wireless this am a dup member (forget who) said that the Dup would nominate DFM, provided issues with protocol are resolved and a programme for government is agreed. So a very heavily caveated agreement to accept the outcome of a democratic vote.
I think the DUP will be nervous of a second election. They could lose more votes and there is every chance SF would get more. Imo, there would be a bigger turn out of nationalists for a second election given the DUP reluctance to agree to nominate a DFM. No matter what way you look at it now, DUP will lose face in some sectors of their electorate.

Alliance, what an election from them. It's been coming for a while and shows how the centre ground electorate is growing here. There will always be hardline right/left voters but the centre is definately widening and in another election Alliance could grow more.
Yeah agree with you, gave Alliance a higher priority that the SDLP myself although they had no chance of getting in.

Bolded needs to be the narrative that London and the world hears, really need to ram it home this time

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2022, 11:38:58 AM
Were there any Alliance seats west of the Bann ?

Alliance stood in an election

The election is over

Seats were won and seats were lost

Nationalists and unionists and senior hurling

Trine cheile

Armagh18

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 12:09:46 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 09, 2022, 11:21:53 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 09, 2022, 09:57:28 AM
I think Aontú done "ok". Considering the first nationalist FM at stake it was always going to be hard to make inroads.
They beat PBP who are an established party now. Weren't too far behind the greens either. They were not the complete write off that many predicted.
The right candidate in the right area (West belfast?) With a fleshed out policy document could have a chance of a seat in the future.

Aontú done ok, lots of second and third preferences but need to get into a dog fight with high first preferences to make them worthwhile. I think you are right but, an analysis of the spread of votes going forward would be good.

SF getting 2 seats in Derry is no surprise but the fact that they done it with 2 untested and unknown individuals probably points more to the electorate buying quite a bit into the FM thing.

Im not happy that McLaughlin got in SDLP, nasty piece of work

Looking forward to seeing the NW get its share of investment, it could be a long wait

What have you got against McLaughlin? You've not a kind word to say about anyone Fear lol

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=454610869774313&id=100056762113809&sfnsn=scwspwa
Christ. Politician complaining about being asked a question while canvassing...

Mourne Red

Fear just because you disagree with Abortion doesn't mean you have to take a dislike to everyone/every party that doesn't go along with that. They had a vote in the south and bar Donegal they voted it in.

Rudi

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 12:09:46 PM
Quote from: Mourne Red on May 09, 2022, 11:21:53 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 10:50:22 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on May 09, 2022, 09:57:28 AM
I think Aontú done "ok". Considering the first nationalist FM at stake it was always going to be hard to make inroads.
They beat PBP who are an established party now. Weren't too far behind the greens either. They were not the complete write off that many predicted.
The right candidate in the right area (West belfast?) With a fleshed out policy document could have a chance of a seat in the future.

Aontú done ok, lots of second and third preferences but need to get into a dog fight with high first preferences to make them worthwhile. I think you are right but, an analysis of the spread of votes going forward would be good.

SF getting 2 seats in Derry is no surprise but the fact that they done it with 2 untested and unknown individuals probably points more to the electorate buying quite a bit into the FM thing.

Im not happy that McLaughlin got in SDLP, nasty piece of work

Looking forward to seeing the NW get its share of investment, it could be a long wait

What have you got against McLaughlin? You've not a kind word to say about anyone Fear lol

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=454610869774313&id=100056762113809&sfnsn=scwspwa

Absolute dose of sh^te. com
Would have expected better from a party that once had the great John Hume as its leader. I would moan at the lack of a viable alternative to vote for in the South, but God love youse nothern folk, its actually worse.

Armagh18

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 09, 2022, 12:22:11 PM
Fear just because you disagree with Abortion doesn't mean you have to take a dislike to everyone/every party that doesn't go along with that. They had a vote in the south and bar Donegal they voted it in.
Think whatever side you come down on re abortion you need to have respect for the other because it is such an emotive and divisive issue. That video is disgraceful tbh.

Eire90

would people in the south really want right wing fundamentalists Christians in their parliament

Eire90

so is will eastwood stay as sdlp leader becuase the dont have anyone else good enough.

Armagh18

Quote from: Eire90 on May 09, 2022, 12:29:45 PM
so is will eastwood stay as sdlp leader becuase the dont have anyone else good enough.
Think they need to stop attacking SF and focus on working alongside them. Bound to be someone else in the party capable of taking over from that clown because they are becoming obsolete at this point, lots of anti SF nationalists are moving to Alliance it seems.

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2022, 11:38:58 AM
Were there any Alliance seats west of the Bann ?

Like everything here, there is debate over what "west of the Bann" actually is. You could be forgiven for thinking Alliance's Eoin Tennyson in Upper Bann was elected West of the bann as the constituency takes in Portadown.

But no, west of the bann is a state of mind, not a geographical location.

trailer

A pretty awful result for us aligned with SDLP. We probably got what we deserved. The party has been lacking internal structure and organisation for years and going up against a well financed and slick SF was going to be tough. The Alliance has squeezed that middle ground vote away as well. I suppose lots of voters are looking for the differential between ourselves and SF. We haven't been able to put clear water between our policies and SFs. Ppl under 40 don't care much for the politics of 20 years ago. It's the here and now. We need fresh ideas. The SDLP has a huge amount of capable ppl in its ranks but that counts for little if the messaging isn't right.
Eastwood is a capable politician and demonstrated this in the debates, but he lacks the ability to run the party. Finance, Policy, building a membership, organisation of party structures. It's basically a collection of Independents. Who are the SDLP? the link with FF and FF, FG, Labour all canvassing for us. Confusion and chaos reigns. With every election we lose a political heavyweight, this time it was Nicola Mallon's turn.
Huge questions for the leadership. Things will have to change or there will be nothing left to change.

I get the feeling we'll be back in 6 months all the same.

Rossfan

Apart from splitting from SF over abortion what else does Aontú stand for that's different to Shinners?
SDLP are provably superfluous now that most SF politicians are from the post conflict and non violent generation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I understand that and I dont dislike everyone that doesn't go along with it. I dislike personal attacks however, check Gosling out on Twitter to see what I mean.

To go back to your earlier comment there were plenty of people who I liked in recent election locally.

Doyle/ Colly McLaughlin/Delargy/Durkan/

I dont have time for Tierney/Sinead McLaughlin SDLP, Ferguson SF or Middleton DUP

trailer

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 01:06:16 PM

I understand that and I dont dislike everyone that doesn't go along with it. I dislike personal attacks however, check Gosling out on Twitter to see what I mean.

To go back to your earlier comment there were plenty of people who I liked in recent election locally.

Doyle/ Colly McLaughlin/Delargy/Durkan/

I dont have time for Tierney/Sinead McLaughlin SDLP, Ferguson SF or Middleton DUP

Abortion doesn't really appear to be an issue. SF didn't suffer and they're very pro choice. Anotu didn't get anyone elected.

RedHand88

Trailer I'm curious to know would you back the current leader and if not, who would you like to see replace him?